Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How accurate is the new iPhone 'location' feature?

How accurate is the new iPhone 'location' feature?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 12:37 AM

Anyone get the update for their iPhone? How accurate is the 'location'/'pinpoint' feature in google maps for you? I only heard feedback from one person who said it was 20 ft off. Not bad!

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 01:52 AM

Mine missed my location by one street over.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2008, 02:49 AM

it works extremely well even with wifi triangulation on the ipod touch!! It got my position exactly right!
Not worth the 18euro upgrade but at least it's working....

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by timmerk View Post
Anyone get the update for their iPhone? How accurate is the 'location'/'pinpoint' feature in google maps for you? I only heard feedback from one person who said it was 20 ft off. Not bad!
I've tried it twice and so far it's been pretty damned accurate. Enough that if I didn't know where I was the directions it gave me would have been a life saver.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

taldrich
Jan 16, 2008, 08:16 AM

Pretty damn impressive. Got to the right part of my street, even.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by phobos View Post
it works extremely well even with wifi triangulation on the ipod touch!! It got my position exactly right!
Not worth the 18euro upgrade but at least it's working....
Cool! Didn't know the location finder part was on the iPod touch version.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Cool! Didn't know the location finder part was on the iPod touch version.
Yeah, it's possible because they're not just triangulating cell phone towers, but they're also accessing the Skyhook Wireless "WPS" database. That tells you where you are by checking what wireless networks you can detect.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 10:46 AM

I'm spending the winter ocean front so I don't have a good cell tower on the "other side" to help with cell tower triangulation and there aren't many hotspots near to where I am. So, my locator is about as poor as it probably can be ... it's only locating me down to about a half mile radius. Can't complain though, at least it has me somewhat close to where I actually am (plenty adequate for directions, etc.). When I drive into town today, I expect the locator to be much more accurate.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2008, 10:57 AM

I've only tried it once so far, but it got the location of my house pretty much exactly right. Even if it's a little off, it's still hugely useful, since the main us of it is to get a starting point for getting directions. That was always a pain before.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 11:06 AM

I find if I'm using wifi it works great. Using just the Edge network the location was way off. Well, enough that it's a couple of blocks away from the true location. Wifi, in comparison, was just about exact. It's more of a fun convenience compared to a true GPS system. I'm still grateful for it though!

I'm about 5-10 minutes from my state's capital city so there are plenty of towers around. Well, for reception there are...maybe not for the triangulation feature. When I go downtown I'll give the Edge version a try to see if it's more accurate there.

crabsandbeer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 12:57 PM

Wow. Mine was about 3/4 mile off. I tried it in a suburban area, maybe the towers were too far apart for a more accurate reading.
Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

R.W.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by crabsandbeer
Mine was about 3/4 mile off. I tried it in a suburban area, maybe the towers were too far apart for a more accurate reading.
More like 1 and 3/4 miles off for me. Also in the burbs... Both in a full-bars area and in an area with barely a single bar. Signal strength doesn't seem to matter. Got an airport run tonight, which takes me right through downtown. I'll be very interested to see how close the triangulation gets in a dense urban core.

Update: At Phoenix Sky Harbor International, on EDGE, it pinpointed exactly which parking lot I was in. Along the freeway, through Downtown Phoenix, it was pretty accurate as well. Back in the burbs... Full bars or 1 bar, it's still up to 2 miles off 'round these parts.
( Last edited by DigitalEl; Jan 21, 2008 at 08:47 PM. )
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 05:08 PM

I'm in New York city and it has been off by several blocks - even putting me across the river in New Jersey once.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 10:25 PM

It let me know I'm somewhere in the vicinity of Boston. Pretty useless unless you're REALLY lost.

I exaggerate, but it usually gives me about a one mile radius in the suburbs.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2008, 11:18 PM

first time I tried last night (wifi @ home) it was off enough that I didn't recognize the subrb/area it gave me...can't figure out how to get the name up show again nut when I tested st work today using edge was right on using my wifi router here
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2008, 12:18 AM

Within a mile over Edge, but several miles off when Wi-Fi is on.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 02:50 PM

Pretty much on the money in downtown Toronto.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 05:35 PM

It really depends. If I only have 2-3 bars, it will circle a 5-10 block radius. If I'm outside with full 5 bars of reception, it gets it down to a half block! Pretty impressive overall.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I'm in New York city and it has been off by several blocks - even putting me across the river in New Jersey once.
Good God, man!

I'd sue for mental distress.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 10:13 PM

I used it a few days ago in the Apple Store and it knew which side of the mall I was at. Not bad.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Good God, man!

I'd sue for mental distress.
Wait a minute! How did I get over here?!?

cbk1994
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2008, 10:57 PM

It's a really nice feature; I've used the cell tower triangulation. Used it many times when I was traveling from Kentucky to Iowa. Used it mainly to find gas stations with diesel, places to eat, etc.

I've noticed that the accuracy varies greatly.

When I was in Indianapolis, it told me the restaurant that I was in. When I got farther away from towns (driving on long interstates), it would vary greatly, but it was always accurate enough for directions. It's a life saver when you've got no clue where you are.
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2008, 03:44 PM

I used WiFi and I was put in St. Louis, Missouri when I was actually in a suburb of Los Angeles, CA. So what, 2000 miles off? But I think that's about right. For some reason my home cable IP address is a St. Louis one.
iamwhor3hay

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2008, 07:30 PM

If I am in bigger cities it works well. (~500 feet!)

If I am in my suburban hometown, it doesn't work at all... I'm completely outside of the "circle" it paints over the map... about 3 or 4 miles from the center!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2008, 08:44 PM

It's a nice novelty, but isn't accurate enough for any serious use.

...it's fun to play with when you're bored, however.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Forum Links
Forum Rules