Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Java 1.4.1

Java 1.4.1 (Page 2)
absmiths
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
Well, it's still slow as hell...

I tried Eclipse, a nice Java IDE,. Every mouse click includes a momentary pause. I'm willing to bet - after using JBuilder on my TiBook 500 and a fairly equivalent Thinkpad - that it doesn't run like that on Windows.

Another incentive to get a newer Mac... shame I've just been made redundant, really.

Chris
When I tested 1.3.1 and 1.4.1 side-by-side as recently as DP 9 the 1.4.1 version was significantly slower for GUI stuff.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
1.4.1 is on by default (it wasn't in the DPs).
My system may be slightly screwed from the DP'ing. I tried several users (ones that explicitly select a JDK in their cshrc and ones that don't) and I get mixed results for 1.3.1 and 1.4.1 from the terminal. I guess some day I will have to work that out (although right now I HAVE to use 1.3.1 from the command line because I spend all my time there running ANT to build stuff for a production system). But my CurrentJDK and Current links are pointing to 1.4.

If you think that JDK 1.4 and 1.3 are compatible, try maintaining JDBC drivers. The classes are different enough that you can't fully compile them on EITHER version!

BTW, I could have sworn that the readme for DP8 specified that 1.3 would remain default in production - why did Apple change their policy?

JLL
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
BTW, I could have sworn that the readme for DP8 specified that 1.3 would remain default in production - why did Apple change their policy?
In some cases Java 1.3.1 is the default (like when you double click a Jar), but Java commands in the Terminal are 1.4.1.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 05:04 PM

nm

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 06:40 PM

Limewire is hardcoded to use Java 1.3.1 BTW. Any attempt to use Limewire with Java 1.4.1 results in a freeze (of Limewire) when loading "messages" or some other.

Any speed effect you see is probably placebo.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

asmodeus
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2003, 03:57 AM

Well, it's still slow as hell...

I tried Eclipse, a nice Java IDE,. Every mouse click includes a momentary pause. I'm willing to bet - after using JBuilder on my TiBook 500 and a fairly equivalent Thinkpad - that it doesn't run like that on Windows.

Another incentive to get a newer Mac... shame I've just been made redundant, really.

Chris
Keep in mind that Eclipse uses native widgets for nearly everything on each platform it supports, and the Mac/Carbon version is extremely early in development.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by asmodeus:
Keep in mind that Eclipse uses native widgets for nearly everything on each platform it supports, and the Mac/Carbon version is extremely early in development.
Do you have an alternative suggestion for a Java IDE? Thanks.

edit: I should say I know what's out there, but in terms of simplicity and speed, what do you recommend?

Chris

absmiths
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 04:30 PM

edit: I should say I know what's out there, but in terms of simplicity and speed, what do you recommend?

Chris
I use Forte when I need something specific, but mostly I use ANT for builds and Project Builder for editing source. It works really well.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by I Have Questions:
My wife likes to play different games on games.yahoo.com and most of them say "Not compatible with Macintosh or Linux computers". What this really means is that they are dog slow. With this update, the games that run in a Java applet are quicker in Safari than on a PC. Good news for the wife!
yahoo pool still sucks and safari seems to freeze after you quit any of the games.
but there definitely is an improvement overall.

asmodeus
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2003, 02:10 AM

Chris
I tend to use Project Builder w/ Ant build scripts, like absmiths... though I've begun using Eclipse a bit more on my PC recently. Though I'm looking forward to a more mature Mac version of Eclipse.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2003, 07:21 AM

I just wish that Apple would somehow provide a "standard" Java install as in Linux and Windows, so that we can run other big Java apps without too much fuss (case in point, Sun ONE/Forte, Java3D, etc.).

Forum Links
Forum Rules