Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bootup Faster in Verbose mode

Bootup Faster in Verbose mode
Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2003, 02:32 PM

this problem has been on my system a while, just never bothered to look into it deeper..

i'm on a Pismo Powerbook 400 Mzh, normal bootup will take about 5 minutes (sits at the gray screen with the apple logo for about 4:30)
Today I decided to boot into verbose mode to see if I could tell what's going on, well in verbose mode the thing boots in about a minute!.

when booting into verbose mode, do some operations get skipped? I don't have journaling tuned on.
thanks
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 03:44 PM

5 minutes? Damn, its about 45 seconds for me. I can't believe that 5 minutes is normal.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 05:25 PM

i used to have to worst start up times in the world, and then i repaired my HD and fixed permissions, and everything went a whole lot faster..

but i have a Dual 867, so i dont know if its just maybe your computer.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Corys:
when booting into verbose mode, do some operations get skipped?
No. The only thing different between normal booting and verbose booting is that the window server is started at the end of the boot process in verbose mode. Otherwise, the same operations are completed.
Vandelay Industries

Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 10:25 PM

this problem has been on my system a while, just never bothered to look into it deeper..

i'm on a Pismo Powerbook 400 Mzh, normal bootup will take about 5 minutes (sits at the gray screen with the apple logo for about 4:30)
Today I decided to boot into verbose mode to see if I could tell what's going on, well in verbose mode the thing boots in about a minute!.

when booting into verbose mode, do some operations get skipped? I don't have journaling tuned on.
thanks
use the same computer at work, it takes way under 5 minutes, like maybe 2 or 3?

Anyways, try what DBvader said, fix permissions, repair the volume, that should help.

Oh, how much RAM you got (this comptuer at work has 512 Mb)

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 12:49 AM

V mode skips your PRAM settings and such.

5 min is NOT normal even on the slowest computer... something is wrong.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2003, 09:44 AM

thanks
when it is stuck on the grey screen for that long, your computer is running fsck, typically because the machine was not shut down right, or something was wrong with your HD.
my ibook 600 boots in about 40 seconds, unless i shut it down wrong (he he) then it is an operation that takes about 4mins....
verbose mode booting will take just as long, either way, and will tell you why it is taking so long, sometimes not having a networked computer hooked up to the network will cause delays...

to have your comp always boot in verbose mode do the following:

%> sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
enter pass:%>

to see what boot-args are set each time the comp boots type
% > nvram boot-args

to turn perpetual verbose booting off type
%> sudo nvram boot-args=

Forum Links
Forum Rules