Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > BlueTooth Mice/Keyboards - novelty? or really useful?

View Poll Results: How useful are bluetooth mice and keyboards really?
Poll Options:
They're insanely greate - the next Airport! 0 votes (0%)
They're handy if you use your Powerbook as a desktop 5 votes (55.56%)
They're a novelty item only - the need to charge, etc. outweighs any benefit 4 votes (44.44%)
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll
BlueTooth Mice/Keyboards - novelty? or really useful?
cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 12:31 PM

Ok, so the rumors all seem to agree we'll be seeing an apple branded bt mouse/keyboard in the near future.

My question, is what's so great about BT mice/keyboards?

When you've got a desktop, your keyboard and mouse generally stay in the same place - the cords aren't limiting you at all... Add to that the need to charge wireless keyboards/mice, and the advantages are almost nil.

I can see slight advantages for everybody using a portable as a desktop - fewer things to plug in - but this seems like a very limited number of people.

Wireless internet/network connectivity w/ Airport was huge - a major improvement in many ways. Am I just not thinking differently enough to appreciate the benefits of wireless keyboards and mice? or is this just a novelty designed to get more people buying bluttooth?
cpac

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 01:22 PM

There is nothing great about them, a novelty. Period. Do you use you keyboard a few meters away from your computer ? No, you don't. BT is only usefull, for disgustingly lazy people who don't even want to plug in a cable.[/rant]

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 03:31 PM

The first computer I ever owned was a PCjr. Total P.O.S. But it had a wireless (Infared) Keyboad and I liked it. It had to be line of site, which was limiting, but it was cool to sit on my bed and play King's Quest (too far for a cord). Of course it didn't have a mouse, so
I can't speak to that.

I use a Kensington Trackball, so it doesn't move, but when I am forced to use a mouse, I am enough of a spaz that the cord gets in the way, so I can see a cordless mouse as being truly useful.

There is also the issue of asthetics. The iMac would be even more attractive without the cables.

However, I would say the appeal is mostly for the coolness factor- I don't think laziness has anything to do with it. Charging devices and changing batteries take a lot more work than plugging something in once.

Forum Links
Forum Rules