Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cure For Pre-Job Interview Jitters?

Cure For Pre-Job Interview Jitters?
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 06:26 AM

In 11 hours and 39 minutes, not that I'm counting, I'll be interviewing for my dream job. I'm nervous as hell, because I really want it.

The problems? Since learning I landed the interview last week, I've hardly slept... Definitely haven't had a solid night. And my current job involves an overnight shift, which is where I'm currently posting from. I need to go home and crash, but tired as I am, I'm pretty sure my insomnia will continue. The thought of not killin' on this interview and being stuck here into 2004 makes my stomach churn.

So what can I do between getting home around 7 a.m. and leaving for my interview around 2 p.m.? Half a glass of NyQuil would leave me drowsy. Alcohol's probably not a good idea. I've never taken sleeping pills. What can I do in order to head into my interview fresh and ready to nail down an offer?

(Interviewing is easier when you don't care much about landing the job).

Oh... And my newborn son is due to arrive next Wednesday (via scheduled c-section). My life could change a whole lot in just a few days!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 06:47 AM

There is a saying in yoga: When you can control your breath, you can control everything.

Stretch out on the floor on your back. Use a pillow under your head, maybe also put pillows under your knees. The idea is to get comfortable. Placed one hand on the abdomen and one hand on the lower rib and practice filling up those areas with breath. Keep the mouth closed and breathe through the nose.

The first thing you realize is that it�s been a long time since you tried to control those muscles. Focus on the image of a balloon inflating from your abdomen and into your ribs or a wave of air filling you from abdomen up through the ribs and into the chest. It becomes all about controlling the breath: inhale � hold � exhale.

The ultimate destressing comes with slowing the breath to 1 to 2 breaths per minute.

Best of luck with your interview.

Yose
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 06:53 AM

I originally through this thread was a little ridiculous because you were jittery over Jobs keynote tomorrow.

I find turning down the lights and putting on some good jazz from the 50/60's relaxes me enough to either fall asleep or just... recuperate.

Good luck on your interview!
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 5, 2004, 07:00 AM

Hmmm, let's see here - an interview, I love going to interviews. I've been sitting on both sides of the table plenty of times, as the interviewer and as the interviewee - there really isn't anything to be nervous about as long as you remember a couple of things:
  • Most importantly - you're selling yourself and your skills - nobody knows yourself better than you - no reason to be nervous there
  • They are just as interested in you and your skills as you are in them/the job - otherwise you wouldn't have gotten the interview!
  • The guy conducting the interview is just another dude like you and me - they all cook with water, just like you
  • The company you're going to is just another company, no matter how great they might seem - they all cook with water, just like you
  • Be yourself, be modest but confident in your abilities - no matter how cool the company might seem - they all cook with water, just like you
  • Never, ever lie and/or pretend to know something you don't. Exaggerating a bit is fine but a flat out lie, just like cheating on your girl-friend/wife, will surface eventually
  • Make sure you have a few questions about the company/position ready. It's always a good sign if an interviewee has done his/her homework
  • The interviewer might seem stressed, impatient or even a bit defensive - a lot of them do not have special people skills or even HR training - this is usually not a sign that they don't like you but due to the fact that the interview is a stressful situation for him/her as well. Why? Because they all cook with water, just like you.
  • Unless it was made clear beforehand, never, ever answer the question about money - when the dude asks how much money you want, ask in return (in a most polite tone of voice) how much they're willing to pay - this will go back and forth two or three times. Let him/her know that you're going to think about the offer and get back to him/her the next day. This serves two purposes - a) you have a reason to call him/her (don't forget to thank him/her for the interview) the next day, and b) you don't have to say something in a stressful situation (the interview) that you might regret later on
  • Oh, did I mention that there's no reason to be nervous because they all cook with water, just like you?
And as the final word - unless they make you take a test (e.g., for a programming position) - every interview is 95% about how you sell yourself and 5% about what you actually know.

Good luck with the job and the baby - lt us know how it went!!

Cheers,

eff

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 07:16 AM

Thanks everybody, keep 'em comin'. I leave the night job in 2 hours, have a 50-minute commute, then hope to get some rest.

FYI--

The job is an airline communications job. I follow the airline industry the way "normal" guys follow football. It's just always fascinated me.

I'm interviewing with the Senior Director of Corporate Communications, Employee Relations and Recruiting. That's quite a title and she's likely to be a skilled interviewer.

What gave me the "in" for landing the interview is that she and I went to the same college back east. In addition to sending my resume to the generic [email protected] address, I wrote her directly with the subject line "XXX Alumnus Wants to Join You at XXX Air." It worked. She e-mailed me back, inviting me for the interview within a couple of hours.

I know I'm qualified for this. I just don't feel 100% because of my schedule. I never feel rested. Normal, daylight hours and a reduced commute are other big reasons I want this gig.

Originally posted by Yose:
I originally through this thread was a little ridiculous because you were jittery over Jobs keynote tomorrow.
THAT is hilarious!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
(don't forget to thank him/her for the interview) the next day,
This is really, really, really important.

I've interviewed many people and the one point that ever so often makes the difference is a note that says: "Thank you for your time yesterday, I had a great time and would love the job" the next morning when you check your mail.

Cipher13
Jan 5, 2004, 08:36 AM

Cure for pre-job interview jitters?

Beer.

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Beer.
No, no and no. That makes you belchy and gassy, two characteristics almost never sought by employers.

Scotch, my friend. Scotch.

Swimming upstream since 1994.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 09:01 AM

I am having pre-Job keynote jitters.

To you, I recommend getting to the interview early.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
I know I'm qualified for this. I just don't feel 100% because of my schedule. I never feel rested. Normal, daylight hours and a reduced commute are other big reasons I want this gig.
oooh, that is a toughie. I've (unfortunately) worked late nights twice in my life. I never knew anyone --- family, friends, girlfriends-- who really seem to "get it". That 11:00 am is is like 4:00 in the morning would be to them. As you mentioned, your "never" truly rested at any time. The good news is that your tiredness will probably make you come across as more relaxed in an interview. The bad news is that if they get really technical on you, its easier to lose your train of thought and "drift" during the interview. Only other advice, if you get an offer, ask them to give you " a little lead time to get back on a normal schedule", if possible. When I went from night shift to a programming job, I felt like I was completely out of it until the afternoon for about 4-6 weeks. Try to get at least a couple weeks between jobs and FORCE yourself back on a normal schedule during that time.

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
oooh, that is a toughie. I've (unfortunately) worked late nights twice in my life. I never knew anyone --- family, friends, girlfriends-- who really seem to "get it". That 11:00 am is is like 4:00 in the morning would be to them. As you mentioned, your "never" truly rested at any time. The good news is that your tiredness will probably make you come across as more relaxed in an interview. The bad news is that if they get really technical on you, its easier to lose your train of thought and "drift" during the interview. Only other advice, if you get an offer, ask them to give you " a little lead time to get back on a normal schedule", if possible. When I went from night shift to a programming job, I felt like I was completely out of it until the afternoon for about 4-6 weeks. Try to get at least a couple weeks between jobs and FORCE yourself back on a normal schedule during that time.
I had the same thing this holiday whilst working on a major project, I'd be up till 5-6am every night, getting up at 2pm ish. The project is practically done now and so I needed to get back into normal time, and although this may not be an ideal solution for everyone I did this: Got up at 2pm as usual, then went to the pub at 5pm and drank solidly with mates until 10.30... When I came home I was plastered and feel straight asleep - woke up at 6am the next day and I'm now back in normal time!!

Good luck with the interview! My strategy is to go in and be yourself because if they don't like you, chances are you won't fit in anyway!! I guess this is only true if it's your possible supervisor/line-manager doing the interviewing...

edit: spelling!
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Beer.
BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the right answer.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 11:52 AM

Actually the fun comes in post job jitters.

That sounds like an awesome job though, my dream job would be to work either as an architect or a hardware engineer

I guess college will help put me in the right essential direction -- building design seems to intrigue me more then electrical design at times :shrug:
Aloha

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 02:52 PM

I always get there an hour ahead of time. Walk around the block two or three or nineteen times just to clear the head. Once you've actually become comfortable with physically being in the same space as the place you're interviewing, a lot of the jitters go away. I know, it sounds flaky, but works great.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

Lerkfish
Jan 5, 2004, 03:19 PM

I'm probably too late, but I always did this mental trick when interviewing:

-- Act as if I already had the job. No, I don't mean be arrogant, but ask questions related to what your job duties and responsibilities would be as if you had to start the job tomorrow. Ask pointed questions about the operation, don't ask about benefits for yourself. Plenty of time for that later if you get the job.

-- present yourself as someone they need to fill the position, and not as someone who needs their position.

-- Listen carefully. Most interviewees unconsciously give you cues to pick up on. like: "We have a lot of turnover in this job"...your response should be "I'm a dedicated worker and I plan to stay in this line of work". Listen for what they want, and present yourself that way without using their words. Also listen to what they don't want, and present yourself as the opposite.
But you have to listen carefully, because they are often subtle.

-- If they start asking inane questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years" HAVE AN ANSWER that makes sense. Don't ever get caught flat footed. a good response would be "I see myself contributing as a member of a team on interesting worthwhile projects" or "I see myself accomplishing most of my personal goals". DON"T say things like "I see myself with YOUR job" heh.

-- Also keep in mind that interviewing others is almost as difficult as being interviewed. If you have some ability, be it humor or just a sincere nature, then use that as if you are trying to put THEM at ease. This puts you in a position of emotional control that will ease your jitters.

JonoG4
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 04:02 PM

If you can, take a Valium.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Link:
That sounds like an awesome job though, my dream job would be to work either as an architect or a hardware engineer

I guess college will help put me in the right essential direction -- building design seems to intrigue me more then electrical design at times :shrug:
I started out as an EE (electrical engineer). It's boring. Dull as hell. Go with architecture.

I ended up writing software, which I like a lot better.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

hayesk
Jan 5, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
I'm probably too late,
As someone who has sat on both sides of the desk, I can say Lerkfish is 100% spot on - great recommendations.

When I interviewed, we never hired anyone that we weren't comfortable with. In the interview the applicant had to make us feel comfortable - after all, we had to work with them!

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 01:47 AM

Thanks again, everybody. I think I did pretty damn well. The woman interviewing me was, as predicted, an accomplished interviewer. That being said, she was running behind and I sat with a receptionist for 40 minutes before getting my time with her.

She asked a lot of situational questions and a lot of the "what if you were given an assignment you had a problem with or disagreed with" -type questions. I was able to get in all the points I wanted, coming back to my strong points; passion and experience. I drilled those home, made her laugh a few times and left feeling pretty good.

She even had me talk to another guy about a totally different position available, but that one involved 90% travel, something I don't want to do with a new baby coming in just over a week. At first I thought she was pushing me off on the guy, because she wasn't impressed with me herself. In retrospect, I don't believe that to be the case.

Anyhow, she has interviews to finish up the rest of this week and says she plans to make a decision "as soon as possible." I think my chances are as good as anybody else's. And yes, the "thank you" note will be sent first thing Tuesday.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 01:54 AM

DigitalEl: Glad the interview went well. I can relate to what you're going through. Currently I'm waiting to hear back from an organization about a job. Since it's long distance everything has been done through email. They made me an offer and I counteroffered. Now, the dreaded waiting game. Hopefully it'll be very soon. The wait is killing me.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 01:57 AM

Good luck to you, TheIceMan. The waiting game is no fun at all... The wondering if you've overplayed your hand or whether they're just busy. I wish I had some advice for ya, but know you're not alone. Let us know what happens.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 03:14 AM

Well, it's now more than two weeks later. I learned I did not get the job on Friday, the 16th. How did I learn this? From a letter which rejected me for the wrong job--one I hadn't even heard of, let alone interviewed for. How professional. And the woman who interviewed me, who is an alum of the school I attended, signed the incorrect rejection letter "Sharon '88." How cute, for a rejection letter! Moron!

Of course, now the gutless won't even pick up her phone. I guess I'm naive to think someone who interviews with a company deserves at least a telephone rejection. Not a letter! Oh, the company did call. To explain they "think there may have been an error" in the letter they sent.

It sucks when you really want a job... Putting yourself out there only sets you up for rejection.

Still, if only one thing could go right in the month of January, I'm glad my son is finally here... And that he and my wife are both healthy. Jalen Charles Brown was born last Wednesday, January 14th. Congratulate me, bi-atch!

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 04:28 AM

Aww man, that sucks dude sorry to hear.

Congrats on your son
Aloha

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 21, 2004, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Well, it's now more than two weeks later. I learned I did not get the job on Friday, the 16th. How did I learn this? From a letter which rejected me for the wrong job--one I hadn't even heard of, let alone interviewed for.
Which tells us what? That you probably lucked out by not getting the job. I know, it's still disappointing but usually, the way a company treats potential employees is a good indicator for how it treats all of its employees.

I have ignored this once or twice in my career, accepting the job and telling myself "Aaaah, forget it - probably just a little mistake - working there will be just fine" You know what - not once was it "just a minor mistake" - both of those companies were a total mess and after a few months I started looking for a new job.

Since you didn't mess up the interview - stick a fork in them and be done with it Their loss.

And of course - congrats on the new family member!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules