Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wireless solution

Wireless solution
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 12:05 PM

I will be setting up a wireless network in my home shortly. The computers on the network will consist of
1. PC, not wireless connectivity, so I need an Ethernet connection
1 Mac cube � will be purchasing an airport card for this baby.
1 PowerBook already has an airport extreme card.

Proximity shouldn�t be an issue, small older house. The computers will be within one room of each other on the same floor. Internet access will be through a cable modem.

What would be the best component for this setup, I�m leaning towards linksys, I would love the airport but it�s a mixed network and I�m not sure if that would be easily managed, of course the price is an issue.

Any recommendations, things I should look out for would be welcome.

Thanks.
~Mike

Dimitri
Mar 29, 2004, 03:35 PM

Wireless G routers like by Linksys are good. I don't see much of a reason to pay over twice as much for the Airport Base Station which does the same thing with less ports and probably less signal.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 05:23 PM

I'm liking my netgear wireless g basestation. No problems with a pc, powerbook and ibook (all wireless). Here's a link:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...3&loc=101&sp=1

I've seen it listed lower at amazon, but right now this is the cheapest I could find it.

Titom
Mar 29, 2004, 06:11 PM

there are at least 4 versions of the 614
I have version 1 (the 12 volt)

Netgear techs do NOT speak very good english

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 06:59 PM

Thanks,
I'm probably going with the B flavor, since my cube won't take advantage of the faster network.

Mike
~Mike

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 06:48 PM

linksys, owned by cisco, makes great gear and has very good support.

definitely get a "g" device though, as they are much more upgradable for their security protocols.

turn off the ssid broadcast
use wep
limit connections

have fun.

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Thanks,
I'm probably going with the B flavor, since my cube won't take advantage of the faster network.

Mike
btw, you can always use a usb wireless adapter for the cube. they are generally cheaper too.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2004, 02:33 PM

why would u say the airport extreme is expensive, when you get more features with it. USB for wireless printing wan and lan phone line support for 50 users. Airport extreme also supports for external antenna. What about leap and radius suport. Or power over ethernet. aol parental controll. IT all adds up and therefore its cheepr for the airport etream in a long run. So when you say the airport extreme is more expensive or does nott have enough features. Think again hehe.
( Last edited by yoyoman; Mar 31, 2004 at 02:38 PM. )

ChadC
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 03:18 PM

JUST DONT GET A D-LINK!!!!

I have had a Linksys "B" for a little over a year. The network consists of Wireless(2 PC desktops, 1 PC laptop, 2 Mac desktops, 2 Mac Laptop) and Wired(1 PC desktop and 1 Mac Desktop). I've had absolutely no problems and the set up was as easy as could be. The D-Link on the other hand(which I bought first because it was a littl cheaper) took 4 hours to get the internet set up and then the reception was horrible and half the computers couldn't connect(including wired machines). Any way, I love the Linksys and would recommend their products any day!
Good Luck and Enjoy the wireless freedom!

-Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Dimitri
Mar 31, 2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
why would u say the airport extreme is expensive, when you get more features with it. USB for wireless printing wan and lan phone line support for 50 users. Airport extreme also supports for external antenna. What about leap and radius suport. Or power over ethernet. aol parental controll. IT all adds up and therefore its cheepr for the airport etream in a long run. So when you say the airport extreme is more expensive or does nott have enough features. Think again hehe.
I actually was talking about the $200 airport base, which doesn't have the antenna port or phone line connection. Still double the price, though. USB port is useless for many if they don't have the right printer. The thread starter made no mention of hooking a printer up to the router anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules