Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Simple Application for creating website?

Simple Application for creating website?
finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 01:09 PM

Can anyone suggest an app that I could use to make a website that would be simple to use....and so that I have not to learn html
My budget would be around $100. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 01:30 PM

.Mac

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
.Mac
Word.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 01:53 PM

Freeway Express and Freeway Pro - both a stunning applications for creating websites without having to worry about the code. 30-day trials can be downloaded here:

http://www.softpress.com

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 03:20 PM

I have .Mac already but thanks for the suggestion. I will try Freeway, thanks you!!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 05:00 PM

If you don't want to learn HTML, then you shouldn't be building a Website.

This not to say that hand-coding HTML is The One True Way, but if you aren't willing to build up a little understanding of how the Web works, then should you really be the one doing the implementation? Hand your designs off to someone who knows what they're doing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 05:23 PM

For God sake man relax! Its only a personal website...why shouldn't I have a go?! Some people....

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Why not? Plenty of Freeway users create great websites. That's because a lot of them are designers, and the tool abstracts the HTML away from them. Conversely, a lot of "hand-coded" sites written by people who "know" HTML suck, because they have no idea about design.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2004, 09:55 PM

I use Rapidweaver which offers some nice gfx for buttons and stuff. It looks like shite right now, with totally useless info and images but it's there, for ME to poop on- I mean.... look at.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

This not to say that hand-coding HTML is The One True Way, but if you aren't willing to build up a little understanding of how the Web works, then should you really be the one doing the implementation? Hand your designs off to someone who knows what they're doing.

You don't need to spend any money to build a website. All you need to do is invest some time learning HTML and CSS. OS X comes with TextEdit, which is all you need to do the actual creation.

You aren't limited to TextEdit, though. My editor of choice is SubEthaEdit, which is free for personal use.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2004, 11:27 PM

look people, I believe it's for his own personal use and maybe family. why on earth should he learn HTML or XML when he can use a WYSIWYG webpage-editor ? I much prefer that until I learn how to implement simply things that the programs do not offer.

Even so-called professional websites sometimes look like they could have benefitted from a WYSIWYG editor instead of doing it by hand. I have seen a few but cannot point them out right now.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 11:49 PM

For a WYSIWYG website editor, why not try Mozilla's built in composer? And you can't beat the price...
Swimming upstream since 1994.

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 02:37 AM

The nice thing about Freeway is that it gives you great looking results immediately. So, whilst having fun designing you can then slowly start learning about real HTML, XML etc. and apply that knowledge as needed (if ever, cause Freeway does a fantastic job at generating code so that site look good on any platform)

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 04:17 AM

Another vote for Freeway Express. It produces great results, quickly - which is exactly what you want. Pretty inexpensive too.

And it doesn't lock you out of HTML coding if you choose to go that way later.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 05:12 AM

I don't know HTML either, so I took a look at RapidWeaver, which seemed fine, and I've heard good things about Freeway, so if I were doing anything more complicated than a simple page with text, a few photos, and a bunch of links to other sites and some files, I'd no doubt use one of them. But since my needs were simple, I used Mozilla's built-in Composer, which lets you click to make a link to another site or to include a photo, background colors, etc., rather than hand coding it all yourself. And it's free! Try it first to see if it's enough for your needs, and if not, move up to RW or Freeway.

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2004, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the advice I downloaded the demo for Freeway Express and I use Mozilla and never even thought about composer
So I'll try both and see which suits. Thanks again

Forum Links
Forum Rules