Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do Euros buy from the US ITMS?

How do Euros buy from the US ITMS?
Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 05:07 AM

Does anyone know if there's a way for Europeans who don't have US credit cards to buy music from the iTMS in the States. I registered on the French Store and had a look last night and none of the searches I did returned any music. The US version has all of the songs I'm looking for plus some decent limited versions.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 05:25 AM

1 - Wrong Forum
2 - No you cannot buy from the US store - only from your own country's store - for licensing reasons.

talisker
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 05:33 AM

You have to use a credit card issued in that country to use a particular music store. Although it says otherwise, the billing address is irrelevant, it's where the card is issued that's the key.

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
1 - Wrong Forum
2 - No you cannot buy from the US store - only from your own country's store - for licensing reasons.
Which is the right forum? Software?

Just to be clear, licensing issues don't prevent me from buying, they prevent Apple from selling. I guess Apple's licence says they can't sell to non-US residents which is discriminatory since I can go into a bricks and mortar store in NY and buy a CD. Still, I guess I see the record companies' beef. They aren't going to solve piracy though until they make music easier to access. I looked for Incubus, Our Lady Peace, John Mayer and Jason Mraz and got zip on the French site!
( Last edited by Troll; Aug 11, 2004 at 06:09 AM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by talisker:
You have to use a credit card issued in that country to use a particular music store. Although it says otherwise, the billing address is irrelevant, it's where the card is issued that's the key.
You can apply for a US bank account by downloading the application forms from the web.
You should ask for a debit card they wont give a non US resident credit. then post them, off.

You will have to transfer a minimum amount into the account to start it (500USD?) , after than you can use the debit card just like a credit card.

FYI There's no point in doing this.

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
No point in doing which part? That seemed like a relatively good idea!

I guess you can't redeem gift vouchers bought in Europe in the States ... or vice versa?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by Troll:
No point in doing which part? That seemed like a relatively good idea!

I guess you can't redeem gift vouchers bought in Europe in the States ... or vice versa?
its just a lot of trouble to go to to get a few tracks which you can't get on the Euro Store.
Just buy the CD's!

I can't think of any other advantage to having a US Credit card.

No idea about the vouchers, they should work though (you could always open a US iTunes account with no credit card number and redeem it).

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 06:32 AM

its just a lot of trouble to go to to get a few tracks which you can't get on the Euro Store.
Just buy the CD's!
Yeah, but that doesn't work for music that is either only available on iTMS (limited edition live albums for example) or for albums that aren't available in Europe at all. I don't want to import Jason Mraz for 25 Euros just for the one song of his I like.

I'll have a look into the credit card thing and the voucher thing. Thanks for the suggestions.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2004, 07:00 AM

You can apply for a US bank account by downloading the application forms from the web.
You should ask for a debit card they wont give a non US resident credit. then post them, off.

You will have to transfer a minimum amount into the account to start it (500USD?) , after than you can use the debit card just like a credit card.

BRILLIANT! This I will do!!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2004, 08:04 AM

Nah, it's not that easy.
You'd at least need a Social Security number.

It's possible to get, but takes a while...

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules