Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse

Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 10:23 AM

Looks pretty nice! Its the successor to the MX700 cordless, only it uses a laser to track movements, not a micro camera and red LED.
Pictures and a review can be found here* (its not on Logitech's website yet as far as I could tell).
Same price as the MX700 was - $79

* Caution: this was also posted on Slashdot, so the link may be slow or eventually go down completely.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 10:34 AM

Eh, what the heck...
Here's all the pictures posted at the link above (mirrored on my server to lighten the load on the link above).

**Pictures removed at the request of Tooki - please see the link in the post above**
( Last edited by Cadaver; Aug 31, 2004 at 10:52 PM. )

osxisfun
Aug 30, 2004, 10:49 AM

looks like a goody. may have to replace my logitech 510mx...

rmongold
Aug 30, 2004, 02:41 PM

Looks like this one is officially supported (by Logitech) on the Mac... Unlike my MX900.

I'd be interested to see if they come out with a Bluetooth version of this mouse. I really like the MX line of mice, but don't want to have anything external plugged into my PowerBook...

osxisfun
Aug 30, 2004, 03:04 PM

i don't think they will. the whole point of this mouse was to move away from the limitations of bluetooth. (1 mega(bit?) transfer speed) i least that's gathered from the comments on the board.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 03:11 PM

it looks nice, but, check those also from logitech

rmongold
Aug 31, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
i don't think they will. the whole point of this mouse was to move away from the limitations of bluetooth. (1 mega(bit?) transfer speed) i least that's gathered from the comments on the board.
If the "limitation" of Bluetooth they're concerned about is speed, how much speed do you really need to drive a mouse? The MX900 works great on Windows, pretty well on OS X (despite not being supported), and my Apple Wireless Keyboard has never given me lag problems. I would think that Bluetooth is the ideal technology for low bandwidth applications like mice and keyboards - it's just a little more expensive right now than IR.

But that being said, I have been wrong before

Like I said before, though, the less I can have physically attached [tethered] to my PowerBook, the happier I am.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 01:05 PM

I want the Bluetooth version for Christmas.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 01:19 PM

I don't think this thing would even work with a bluetooth setup, it collects so much data for tracking that bluetooth isn't fast enough. A number of people at that other forum were talking about how they had skipping issues with their MX900 because it ran out of bandwidth - it would be even worse if they tried to put this one on bluetooth.

I might want to get one though. Well, maybe after a while... it's very expensive. Only problem is I have a Logitech Cordless MX Duo, so if I wanted to upgrade just the mouse without having to use two base stations, I'd have to sell the whole thing and buy a new keyboard.

Now here's hoping Logitech makes their damn OS X mouse drivers more enjoyable than being vomited on by an infant.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

osxisfun
Aug 31, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by rmongold:
If the "limitation" of Bluetooth they're concerned about is speed, how much speed do you really need to drive a mouse? The MX900 works great on Windows, pretty well on OS X (despite not being supported), and my Apple Wireless Keyboard has never given me lag problems. I would think that Bluetooth is the ideal technology for low bandwidth applications like mice and keyboards - it's just a little more expensive right now than IR.

But that being said, I have been wrong before

Like I said before, though, the less I can have physically attached [tethered] to my PowerBook, the happier I am.

rmongold, read luca's post.

hint: 20x the tracking power of optical.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 31, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
I don't think this thing would even work with a bluetooth setup, it collects so much data for tracking that bluetooth isn't fast enough. A number of people at that other forum were talking about how they had skipping issues with their MX900 because it ran out of bandwidth - it would be even worse if they tried to put this one on bluetooth.
All of the image processing is done inside the mouse -- it's just sending data about the direction of movement.

Bluetooth's not being fast enough probably has not to do with the bandwidth, but with latency, where in very quick movement (i.e. gaming) you've reversed direction before the data's even through.

tooki

a2daj
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 12:51 PM

Are the lasers attached to sharks? I may have to pick one up tonight.

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Attached right to their friggin heads I hear!

-Jerry C.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2004, 04:05 PM

Sucks. All wireless mice suck. Real gamers should know that. Every wireless mouse I ever used always put itself to sleep. I hate that. You move the mouse and the damn thing's sleeping. Also, there's the lag issue. Give me a wired mouse any day.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 04:10 PM

I dunno, some wireless mice are laggy but my MX700 is super-precise and fast. Better than most wired mice I've used.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Kevlar
Sep 1, 2004, 04:10 PM

I haven't had any problems with my BT mouse and games at any time.
Intel iMac 1.8
Logitech Mx 7000
Firewave
Logitech z-5300 5.1

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 3, 2004, 07:10 PM

Just ordered one from Amazon who now show it in stock. So get em while the gettin's good

-Jerry C.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 03:48 PM

Got a chance to play with one at CompUSA. While it wasn't plugged in to a machine, at least I had a chance to try it out for fit.

The shape is a bit different than the MX500/510/700/900. I'm not sure that I actually like the shape - I love the contour of my MX700, but the MX1000 doesn't seem to fit my hand quite as comfortably.

The wheel, for those who are curious, does have a nice feel to it. It is 'notched,' but not nearly as loud and clicky as some other Logitech mice have been. The tilt wheel has a nice motion to it as well; I prefer it to the feel of the Microsoft tilt wheels. The thumb buttons and scroll zoom (or page up/down) buttons also have a nice feel to them.

Too bad the body of the mouse, IMO, isn't has comfortable as the previous MX mice have been. Oh, well. My wife will be happy I'm not buying yet another mouse.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Sucks. All wireless mice suck. Real gamers should know that. Every wireless mouse I ever used always put itself to sleep. I hate that. You move the mouse and the damn thing's sleeping. Also, there's the lag issue. Give me a wired mouse any day.

Mike
Yep, give me a MX500/510 over a MX700 or 900 anyday But I guess for the non gamers, wireless is nice.
iamwhor3hay

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 05:10 AM

The BT mouse works fine for me for my gameing. HALO, C&C Generals, Starcraft, all work fine with it. I don't know who is complaining. But they should be beaten.

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
But I guess for the non gamers, wireless is nice.
Absolutely.

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 10:30 AM

Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on this topic.

I've finally wised up and want to replace my MS Intellimouse. Absolutely hate the software, and believe it's responsible for many input-device freezes.

What's your advice? Happy with Logitech mice and their drivers in general?

I don't need wireless, and in fact don't have much room for a base station... altho' if it's clearly the best route, I'm willing.

I'm not a FPS gamer; I play puzzles, strategy and Myst-like adventure games.

Price isn't an issue.

I just want a multi-button mouse that is comfortable for my long fingers, is reliable and plays fair with the Mac OS. The only brand I won't consider is Microsoft.

Thanks in advance for helping!
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:
The MX900 works fine with OS X�s built-in drivers. You can use Expos� to program all of the mouse�s buttons, although I admit this is of limited usefulness. If your Mac already has built-in BT, then you won�t need to attach the MX900's included base station.

One manufacturing flaw of the MX900 is its poor paint job. Over time, my hand has rubbed the paint off some of the buttons and the Logitech logo. The Bluetooth logo at the base of the mouse has almost completely vanished. I believe my perspiration is to blame, since I�ve never cleaned this mouse. None of my previous Logitech mice exhibited this cosmetic defect.

osxisfun
Sep 6, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:
Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on this topic.

I've finally wised up and want to replace my MS Intellimouse. Absolutely hate the software, and believe it's responsible for many input-device freezes.

I don't need wireless, and in fact don't have much room for a base station... altho' if it's clearly the best route, I'm willing.

I'm not a FPS gamer; I play puzzles, strategy and Myst-like adventure games.

Price isn't an issue.

I just want a multi-button mouse that is comfortable for my long fingers, is reliable and plays fair with the Mac OS. The only brand I won't consider is Microsoft.

Thanks in advance for helping!
hi. i switched from an inntellimouse too. i am using a logitech mx510 with the shareware usboverdrive and have been very happy with it overall.

i may upgrade my mouse to this new one though. seems like they have fixed all the things i do not like about wireless mices in general.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
it looks nice, but, check those also from logitech

touching a ladybug in that way .. just seem soooo wrong to me ..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 06:19 AM

I picked up the laser equipped shark on Saturday It's pretty nice. The button placement is taking a bit of getting use to since the thumb now has 3 accessible buttons. Since I use USB Overdrive, I can't currently use the side scrolling function, but I'll put in a request for support. Alessandro's usually pretty good with adding support for things like that. It has frickin' batter meter. The mouse also seems to shut off a bit faster than other mice and wake up faster. The on and off switch is a nice addition.

osxisfun
Sep 7, 2004, 11:15 AM

is the pause when it goes from sleep to awake noticeable?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
is the pause when it goes from sleep to awake noticeable?
I haven't noticed it in normal use. I'll try and keep an eye out the next time I use it.

osxisfun
Sep 7, 2004, 07:39 PM

cool. thx.

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2004, 08:34 AM

Just got the MX1000 from Amazon for $72.99, I order it at midnight when it was available so they did say in stock in shipping at that time, when I came, the price was $69.98, but two weeks shipping, oh well.

I have a Pismo and MX700, the batteries were not charging that well anymore, so I thought, why not get a new mouse.

My observations:

It's bigger, I've got small hands so not used to the bigger moulded size (the top hump is going to get some getting used to).

There is no red annying red laser. I thought the laser was cool when the lucite/dark blue Apple Pro mouse came out, now I just find them annoying. So this is nice.

The battery charged it two hours. The base is smaller and the USB cord is slimmer, easier to manage. The AC plug directly into the base (whearas the MX700 plugged into the USB head plug) and the it is much smaller and slimmer and therefor easier to fit into crowded power strip. The charger base Connect button is easier to press. The all black color is actually much nicer as it doesn't tackily stand, the 700s stand was a little obnoxious, I want to show off my PowerBook, not Mouse charger... The best part is that the mouse "clicks" and feels locked when charger. The 700s always slipped about and had to properly seat it to make it charge.

The whole mouse feels a tad lighter than the MX700. Prob from the Li-Ion batteries might be slightly lighter, or, there is definately a better distribution of weight. The MX700 was, how to say, heavy in the butt area, where the batteries are, so always felt the weight under my palm area. The mouse has a definate plasticky feel, but the extra buttons are coated in some type of tactile finish that makes it easy to grip and not slip on. This may wear our after some rubbing and usage, but not for a year or two.

The left side forward/back/app switcher button is firm and tactile. The back button is the easiest to access and feel very firm, esp when not looking at it, the thumb naturally finds it and firm click. The forward button takes some getting used and I have to stretch a bit to get to it, maybe cause my hands are smaller, but also, how often do you use the forward button compared to the back button? So, this should actually be perfect as I normally the back button more. The application switcher button is also solid and firm, no way to mistake it from the forward/back buttons. I assigned it to Expose-Show ALL windows. So can't comment how well it cycles through apps.

The left/right click are about the same as the700s, very solid. The scroll wheel is much nicer, SMOOTHER and QUIETER scrolling with a slight audible clicking sound, much quieter than the 700s. The two button above and below the scroll wheel are firm tactile, the top one is harder to get to, I've assigned them for sound up/down. The scroll wheel button is a firm "click" in to use it and sometimes accidentally scroll up/down an inch when I press, I've assigned it to Expose-Show Desktop, so this works well. Haven't used the tilt scroll function, so can't comment as it doesn't work under USB Overdrive yet. Also, the Scroll click (keep held down) scroll up/down doesnt work in USB Overdrive either for button assignment, sigh. Together, this would have added 4 more "button" features...

I don't game at all (Snood doesn't count..) so I don't know what others are talking about the delay when you pick up the mouse and set it down before it tracks (milisec delay some say). It's not there for me and behaves just like the 700.

The tracking IS better. I can feel it and see it. 20X better, I don't really think that's possible, but it does feel more like a high class corded mouse. Also, the laser only tracks when it is on the surfase, I think the lens only registers/focuses on the within a space of a quarter of an inch, so when I pick it up it doesn't widely roam across the desktop. Maybe this is causing that "lag" that gamers are talking about above, don't know....

I used the MX700 with USB Overdrive and never installed any Logitech drivers. When I plugged in the MX1000 it instantly worked and used all the key assignments from Overdrive that I had programmed for the 700.

Love the mouse, need to get used to the bigger size (scared of getting Carpel Tunnel syndrome kinda...). Need functionality of the title and scroll zoom buttons, but otherwise it's here to stay and a worthy replacment for my MX700. Of course, haven't tested how long the batteries will last between charges, I'll let you know.
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

weborican
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2004, 01:01 AM

I just bought one of these bad-boys, and coming from using a Microsoft Explorer mouse I can tell this will take some getting used to.

Right off-the-bat, I've noticed a couple of things I do not like about this mouse. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much enjoying it thus far...I just wish Logitech would address these issues:

1. There is NO way to define the what happens when you use the "side scroll" feature of the scroll wheel. I personally don't really need to side scroll, but much rather use those for Expos�. I already have F11 programmed on the regular scroll-wheel click, so I think it would be great to be able to assign the left-scroll-wheel-click to F10 and the right-scroll-wheel-click to F9, for example.

2. The software does NOT have the ability to have special settings on a per-application basis like the IntelliPoint software from Microsoft can. I like to have slightly different settings for some of the buttons depending on the frontmost application, but I'm unable to do this with the latest (1.3) Logitech software.

3. The "Cruse" up and down buttons default setting of "Cruise" is pretty useless. Even when set to "large" it will scroll about 5-lines at a time! I quickly changed those to be "Keystroke" and assigned "page up" and "page down" instead.

Other than that, the mouse feels pretty good on the hand and it does not seem to show the dreaded lag in tracking, nor the "wake-up" lag when the mouse goes to "sleep" after not being moved for a certain amount of time. I'm also enjoying the fact that my desk's wood surface seems to have no ill-effect on my tracking like it does for my Intellimouse. I've been using it without the mouse-pad and I'm yet to see it loose tracking like all other optical mice do.
-Weborican

Chulo
Oct 3, 2004, 03:42 PM

I've been curious about the Mx 1000 but prefer a wireless/bluetooth mouse. I've been using the Mx 700 and absolutely love its feel and accuracy. I don't get any noticeable lag from it so I think I'd have a hard time justifying buying a new mouse when this one is working great (except for the batteries charging. I now have to charge them on their own since the cradle isn't doing it anymore).
None-the-less, thanks for the reviews. If my mouse goes belly up sometime in the future, I'll have some reviews to rely on. Maybe there will a bluetooth version available by then.

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 12:34 PM

Mine just arrived today from Amazon- it's really great, though I wish it had application-specific setting the way my MS Intellimous does. Will USB Overdrive handle this?

-Q-
Oct 5, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by schwa:
Mine just arrived today from Amazon- it's really great, though I wish it had application-specific setting the way my MS Intellimous does. Will USB Overdrive handle this?
Yep. In fact, the same guy who wrote USB Overdrive also wrote the MS software so you'll definitely see some similarities.

Does anyone who purchased the 1000 have the Logitech wireless keyboard? Does the wireless keyboard work with the base station of the 1000??

davidflas
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
The shark model is out of stock, they do however have the ill-tempered sea bass model still available
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Frank Hansen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Looks pretty nice! Its the successor to the MX700 cordless, only it uses a laser to track movements, not a micro camera and red LED.
Pictures and a review can be found here* (its not on Logitech's website yet as far as I could tell).

* Caution: this was also posted on Slashdot, so the link may be slow or eventually go down completely.
It is now and thanks for the heads up on that mouse I checked it out and was very impressed with what it could do, so I ordered one, I found a better price at amazon tho, only $68.47 after tax and shipping.
MacManiac4ever
MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB Memory

Frank Hansen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:

It is now and thanks for the heads up on that I checked it out and was very impressed with what it could do, so I ordered one, I found a better price at amazon tho, only $68.47 after tax and shipping.
( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Feb 1, 2005 at 02:39 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 02:35 PM

The nice thing about that is MX700 went down in price, I got an MX700 + keyboard for $60.
Aloha

Frank Hansen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Link:
The nice thing about that is MX700 went down in price, I got an MX700 + keyboard for $60.
Sweet wish I'd seen it before I ordered mine, but thats the way it go's you go out and get something and then hear about something better, say any idea on a good keyboard to go along with my new mouse, something wireless, also as long as I have your attention will I have any trouble with getting the buttons on it to work properly (programing them) I haven't had a chance to install it yet, I'm waiting for Apple to send me the G5 I ordered, thats why I ordered the MX1000 I wanted something faster for gaming along with other reasons like work. It should not be long Apple E-mailed me with a confirmation of shipment just last night.
MacManiac4ever

cje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 11:52 AM

I had to return the first MX1000 I purchased due to the cursor randomly jumping around the screen. A little investigation at logitech.com turned this up:

"When connected to the USB port, the mice listed below may experience
a jump in the mouse cursor or some erratic behavior from time to time.
If_your mouse is_connected to the PS/2 port, you will not experience
this problem._

MX1000 Laser Mouse with a Receiver/Base Model Number (M/N): C-BN34

MediaPlay Cordless Mouse (both Blue and Red) with a_Dongle Receiver M/N: C-BS35

To_resolve this issue, please download and install the new version of
SetPoint, version 2.14. You can install the new version on top of the
version you currently have installed._ Alternatively, you can use your
mouse on the PS/2 port."

Flipping my MX1000 Receiver/Base over revealed the C-BN34 model number. Obviously the suggested "fixes" are useless to mac users... the SetPoint software is for Windows only, and there is no PS/2 port on my mac.

I decided to try exchanging it fully expecting the next one to be exactly the same so I went to a different location of the store I bought it at thinking maybe they'll have a different "batch". The good news is this one works perfectly. No random cursor jumps, perfect tracking.

The moral of the story is that I highly recommend the mouse with the caveat that you may have to return is a couple of time until you get one that functions properly.

-cje
Someone asked me the difference between ignorance and apathy. I told her "I don't know and I don't care."

Forum Links
Forum Rules