Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > CIA - The US is Losing the War

CIA - The US is Losing the War
Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 05:14 AM

According to a Pentagon report, the US is losing the most important war of them all; the war on ideas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4040543.stm

The US is losing "the war of ideas" in the Islamic world, a Pentagon advisory panel has warned.

A report by the Defence Science Board says official US talk of bringing democracy to Muslim nations is seen as "self-serving hypocrisy".

It says if the US wants Muslims to move towards its understanding of tolerance, it must reassure them this does not mean submitting to "the American way".

The report urges Washington to change its approach urgently.

In the eyes of Muslims, American occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq has not led to democracy there, but only more chaos and suffering

"Muslims do not hate our freedom, but rather they hate our policies," the report says.

"The overwhelming majority voice their objections to what they see as one-sided support in favour of Israel and against Palestinian rights, and the long-standing, even increasing, support for what Muslims collectively see as tyrannies, most notably Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan and the Gulf states.

"Thus, when American public diplomacy talks about bringing democracy to Islamic societies, this is seen as no more than self-serving hypocrisy," the report says.

It adds that the US-led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq has actually raised the stature of radical enemies of America.

"US actions appear... to be motivated by ulterior motives, and deliberately controlled in order to best serve American national interests at the expense of truly Muslim self-determination," the report says.

It describes US public diplomacy as being in crisis and urges the creation of a strategic communications apparatus within the White House.
Hardly news to the rest of us, but good to see American experts acknowledging that Bush's approach has aggravated the problem rather than resolve it.

PS Apologies for the mistake in the title of the thread. CIA should have read Pentagon!
( Last edited by Troll; Nov 25, 2004 at 06:07 AM. )

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Troll:
According to a Pentagon report, the US is losing the most important war of them all; the war on ideas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4040543.stm

Hardly news to the rest of us, but good to see American experts acknowledging that Bush's approach has aggravated the problem rather than resolve it.

PS Apologies for the mistake in the title of the thread. CIA should have read Pentagon!
I have never heard of the Defense Science Board, but I am suspicious of your spin. Here is the web site that lists their reports. They look like rather dry technical subjects to me -- not the place where you would expect to find deep criticism of the Administration's entire foreign policy. Their reports are on things like "corrosion control." I.e. their focus seems to be on making policy work better, not throwing firebombs at the policy.
Here is their Charter. There is an office in the Pentagon that handles plans and policy, but they aren't created by that office. They are appointed by the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology and Logistics).

Even the BBC account says that what they are worried about is the US' information dissemination policy in the Middle East. Their recommenations appear to be directed to improving US presentation. There is no hint there that they say the US should reverse policy course.

It describes US public diplomacy as being in crisis and urges the creation of a strategic communications apparatus within the White House.

"The information campaign - or as some still would have it, 'the war of ideas' or the struggle for 'hearts and minds' - is important to every war effort," the report says, referring to the US-led war on terror.
Beyond that, there isn't much to see here. We have a few cherry picked quotes from what was no doubt a lengthy document, and a lot of editorializing from the BBC. There is no link to the report itself, so no real way to tell what it actually contains.
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Nov 25, 2004 at 10:09 AM. )

eklipse
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2004, 12:25 PM

"Muslims do not hate our freedom, but rather they hate our policies," the report says.
Holy ****! What an eye-opener!!!

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by eklipse:
Yeah, some bright boys over there at the Pentagon.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 01:05 PM

This doesn't come from the "Pentagon" -- it comes from an advisory panel of independent academics and non-government professionals. Go ahead and dig up some information on the task force; their backgrounds don't inspire much confidence in their ability to judge complex global political movements. For example, one of the members -- Bran Ferren -- is a former Disney Imagineering exec and creative director.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Abu Bakr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by eklipse:
But, but.... I've been told we all hate the US with a passion. Now I'm confused.
If Palestinians are expected to negotiate under occupation, then Israel must be expected to negotiate as we resist that occupation.
- Marwan Barghouti -

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
This doesn't come from the "Pentagon" -- it comes from an advisory panel of independent academics and non-government professionals. Go ahead and dig up some information on the task force; their backgrounds don't inspire much confidence in their ability to judge complex global political movements. For example, one of the members -- Bran Ferren -- is a former Disney Imagineering exec and creative director.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Nov 27, 2004, 10:01 AM

They never had a chance of 'winning' ideas ni the first place. Muslims aren't some backward hicks who can just disregard over a thousand years of culture and religion bevause a hypocritical nation thinks they should. They aren't dumb, and while 'Democratic' chamge in the Muslim world is welcomed, it wil never replace their ingrained belief system. Christ, if people in the West can see through the manipulation of US foreign policy, then I'm pretty sure the vast Muslim world aleady has you pegged. Oh wait, I'm positive on that one.

How about we let Muslims just live as they want to, huh? How about it?

Like my sig says, meventhe British Government now accepts that Iraq could have an Islaic Government, even at odds with the US. America wake up and stop pretending you can change how people think, live and behave in accordance with your own self-centered and selfish reasons.
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2004, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
...while 'Democratic' chamge in the Muslim world is welcomed, it wil never replace their ingrained belief system. Christ, if people in the West can see through the manipulation of US foreign policy, then I'm pretty sure the vast Muslim world aleady has you pegged. Oh wait, I'm positive on that one.

How about we let Muslims just live as they want to, huh? How about it?

Like my sig says, meventhe British Government now accepts that Iraq could have an Islaic Government, even at odds with the US. America wake up and stop pretending you can change how people think, live and behave in accordance with your own self-centered and selfish reasons.
If it weren't for the US the Iraqi Muslims wouldn't have had much choice in their own government. So how can you criticize the actions which gave them the freedom to choose???

How can you oppose that which you only suspect may be future US intents and actions?

How can you look at the wars and regional disputes and terrorism that has occurred with/from Muslim nations that haven't been true with Democratic secular nations and be so sure that a Muslim nation won't be a threat to future peace in the area?

At this point I'm not sure what the President's real postion is on the final outcome and our acceptance or not of a Islamic government in Iraq. Do you know? Or are you simply stating your preference for an Islamic government in Iraq and adding a little "F***America" to the message while you are at it?
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules