Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > updated prebinding and.......

updated prebinding and.......
real
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2004, 07:11 PM

Hey happening,

Yesterday I ran sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

About half way thru I got a bus error then the prebinding stopped I tried again samething and I believe that it was on the same line(number820/1500) any thoughts

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

utidjian
Senior User
Dec 22, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by real:
Yesterday I ran sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

About half way thru I got a bus error then the prebinding stopped I tried again samething and I believe that it was on the same line(number820/1500) any thoughts
Well "line(number820/1500)" is completely meaningless. If it fails right there then copy-n-paste the ten or twenty lines leading up to the "bus error".

When I run that command I almost always get dozens of errors which don't appear to be critical to the operation of the systems I have tried it on. Often the command exits with something like this as the last few lines:
Code:
2004-12-22 19:39:15.628 update_prebinding[24163] Prebinding files (2000/2007 complete) 2004-12-22 19:39:17.035 update_prebinding[24163] redo_prebinding on /Applications/iSync.app/Contents/MacOS/iSync: prebinding can't be redone for: /Applications/iSync.app/Contents/MacOS/iSync (for architecture ppc) because larger updated load commands do not fit (the program must be relinked) 2004-12-22 19:39:21.356 update_prebinding[24163] Update_prebinding done. 2004-12-22 19:39:21.357 update_prebinding[24163] 2 files successfully prebound, 27 files unsuccessfully prebound.
I get similar results on virgin installs of Mac OS X. ::shrug::
-DU-...etc...

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 09:59 PM

Why a bus error is occurring is beyond me.

If you have disk warrior run that, or disk first aid, then update prebinding again.

real  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2004, 01:51 PM

I'll give disk warrior a try I reason why I ask about this is because I just send the ibbok back to apple for the 3rd time for a logic board repair and now It seems all is well except the bus error. I'll post back with results of the diskwarrior.

thanks
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
deinterlaced.com

real  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2004, 01:12 AM

Ok so I ran disk Warrior today then did the undate prebinding again same problem. On the same area I think 820/1556(I think those are the numbers) Very strange never seen this ever(since working with OS X).Anyone else see the problem. This is a fresh install of X.3.7.

Have a good holiday

real
deinterlaced.com

real  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2004, 01:14 AM

Sorry about the long sentences and screwing up the page for you.
deinterlaced.com

utidjian
Senior User
Dec 24, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by real:
Ok so I ran disk Warrior today then did the undate prebinding again same problem. On the same area I think 820/1556(I think those are the numbers) Very strange never seen this ever(since working with OS X).Anyone else see the problem. This is a fresh install of X.3.7.
You might want to read this:
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...intenance.html
do a search for 'bus error'.

Again that "820/1556" is completely useless information without the context or, at the very least, the whole line where that occurs. "820/1556" has no meaning... it could be completely different for nearly identical systems. It is NOT a line number in a script, it is NOT a particular program. The WHOLE line AND a few lines prior to that line is what is important. Do you understand this?

If you can determin which file 820 or 821 is then maybe just maybe you can re-install the package that that file comes from and clear this up. You may also want to do all the maintenance stuff suggested in the above link... if that fails do a clean re-install.
-DU-...etc...

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 07:51 AM

If you want to actually post the output and the crash log, and preferably also the binary which it's trying to re-prebind that's causing it to crash, then someone could possibly look into it. Or at least file a bug upstream with Apple.

Seriously though, why are you re-prebinding yourself? It's generally *not* a good idea to prebind all the time, since using apps while prebinding is in process can sometimes corrupt binaries (I've seen it happen).

real  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2004, 02:46 PM

I just tried to post the log from the crash reporter in the console but it is to long for this fourm .

Which part of it do we need to look at you said something about the binery were do I find that in the log. Then I can just post that. Yes I know that the 820/1556 means nothing I was just pionting out that I get the bus error at that same number everytime which to me means that the is a problem with what ever it is prebinding at that time. I could be completly wrong.

Thanks again for the help

real
deinterlaced.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules