Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Unzip without Stuffit

Unzip without Stuffit
erniesthings
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2005, 02:59 PM

I have a couple .zip files that Stuffit seems to be having some problems with. Expander seems like it's working, but it continually keep "working" on the file over and over, repeating the names that it's extracting and never finishing.

I like having stuffit installed b/c it handles a varitey of files. How can I unzip something throught the finder or terminal?

Thanks

Ernie

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 03:06 PM

Normally Finder handles zips be default, but if you right click (or control click) on the file and go to Open With and select BOMArchiveHelper, that's what the Finder uses to unzip things.

Are you sure those zip files aren't just corrupt?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

erniesthings  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2005, 03:38 PM

I really couldn't tell you if they are corrupt or not. They are 2 different files that came from the same person, created at different times, so it could be something he's done on his end. I honestly don't know.

But thanks I'll give this a try when I get home.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 02:36 AM

There is a zip application I used to have around just so I could open zips that BOMArchiveHelper or Stuffit couldn't handle. It might've been ZipIt, or one of those others you can find on MacUpdate. Try a search here on the forums.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2005, 12:33 PM

If you have the dev tool installed you can unzip from the Terminal.

Unchecking zip files from Stuffit Expander's preferences of files to handle should make BOMArchiveHelper the default.

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by erniesthings:
I have a couple .zip files that Stuffit seems to be having some problems with. Expander seems like it's working, but it continually keep "working" on the file over and over, repeating the names that it's extracting and never finishing.

I like having stuffit installed b/c it handles a varitey of files. How can I unzip something throught the finder or terminal?

Thanks

Ernie
Using the terminal, it's actually quick easy. You just 'cd' to the directory in question, an then type: unzip filename

As an example:

unzip macnn.zip
which will result in the unzipping of that file. This will automatically create directories or files as per what was in the zip archive in the first place.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

Forum Links
Forum Rules