Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Enough of this "Oil for Food Scandal" Bull

Enough of this "Oil for Food Scandal" Bull (Page 2)
Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 07:57 AM

This whole page is a smackdown thanks to Simey's smackdown abilities.

I just got to reading it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 07:58 AM

( Last edited by analogika; Jun 24, 2005 at 08:26 AM. Reason: he hadn't added the "thanks to Simey" blabla yet when I hit reply.)

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Yes - yes it is.

Glad you agree.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 08:26 AM

see edit

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
Oh come on!! That was an absolutely pathetic attempt, Simey. I did not anywhere say that what the UN was doing with this site was lobbying (the verb). When I used the word "lobbies" it was as a noun to refer to groups OTHER THAN the UN.

Oh, I am disappointed. I really thought you were acknowledging reality there for a moment. OK, so you are so naive that you don't think this is aimed at the US and the hearings that have been going on there. I'm sorry I thought you had some common sense.

Of course it is interfering in US politics and of course they are lobbying on their own behalf. The reputation of UN diplomats has taken a beating in US opinion because of the exposure of their corruption in hearings on Capitol Hill (the only capital in the world that EVER shows any interest in UN corruption). That scares them because of course, Congress has started talking about cutting their budget and also isn't letting up the pressure on their corruption. The combination is obviously causing people to be upset. So they are agressively and heavy-handedly responding by intervening in the US domestic discussion about the UN as if they are legitimate players in that private discussion. That's overstepping the bounds of what an international beaurocracy should be doing on its own behalf.

Think about it this way. What issue should so-called international diplomats should be most concerned with? Should it be: improving the organization, making sure it can better do its primary mission and doing something about their disgraceful record of corruption? Or should it trying to influence US public opinion for the pecuniary benefit of themselves? You seem to think that the latter is the proper job of a diplomat. I don't agree. International organizations are supposed to serve some interest other than that of their own employees.

The contrast with other international lobbies is stark. Countries have legitimate interests to promote in things like trade, tourism, investment, and the like and it is normal for their diplomats to lobby on behalf of those interests. Diplomats in those cases are promoting the interests of a population. By contrast, the constituency whose interests this lobbying campaign is promoting is themselves. That is classic rent-seeking behavior and it is shameful.

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
The reputation of UN diplomats has taken a beating in US opinion because of the exposure of their corruption in hearings on Capitol Hill (the only capital in the world that EVER shows any interest in UN corruption).
Well that's where we disagree. I think the UN's reputation is taking a beating in the US because a group of neocons is conducting a smear campaign. What's really sad is that this sort of thing has become standard practice for American politicians. Say something enough times and people will start to believe you.

Anyway, back to the topic. So far not one person has supplied any evidence to counter what the IIC said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules