Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson CX4600 won't print black or magenta

Epson CX4600 won't print black or magenta
schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2005, 11:20 AM

I put black and magenta Staples ink catridges in my CX4600, and now it won't print either of those colors. I have replaced them both with Epson cartridges, ran the cleaner utilities- everything. The supply monitor recognizes that there is ink in both cartidges, but just refuses to print those colors. I suspect something is clogged, but I don't know where to go from here.

Any ideas?

Also- it's still under warranty. Has anyone gone through the process of sending a printer back? How long does it take? Is it worth it for a $100 piece of equipment?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 25, 2005, 12:52 PM

Sounds like a bad clog, you can either send it in or take it apart and try cleaning it yourself. (I wouldn't recommend it!)

FWIW, Epson printers clog with their own ink, using 3rd party ink on one is just asking for trouble. When you get it back from repair/cleaning, be sure to use the printer every couple of days to prevent future clogging.

tooki

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 02:50 PM

take the tape off?

schwa  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2005, 03:11 PM

tape?

OperaMan
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 03:31 PM

I had a CX4600. It was a problem from day one. The heads kept getting clogged over and over. This was fixed by running the head cleaning program in the printer control thing, but that used a lot of ink for some reason. After a while, the printer would only print in the right half of the page. Eventually, the feed on the printer completely stopped working. That was the last epson printer I'll ever buy. I hear very good things about canons.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 05:27 PM

Who needs magenta?.... cyans and greens are the good colors.... :-)

Seriously, I am a Canon convert. I used to buy nothing but Epsons, but I stumbled on this Canon Pixma iP3000 at the local Staples for super cheap about a year ago, when they first came out. The perfect desktop printer for me, who doesnt print all that much. The photos arent as nice as the Epson dye-based 6-color printers I had been using, but the Canon is stingy with ink and hasn't clogged since I bought it. Pretty amazing considering weeks go by without even turning it on. It is much better for the occasional printer than any Epson I've ever tried.

Individual carts, pretty cheap (...@$11 each) too....

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 26, 2005, 09:47 AM

And Canon makes 6- and 8-color printers, too, that top Epson's best photo prints. In fact, it's rather amazing what Canon is able to do with just 4 colors!!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules