Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.3 Menu Item Selection Lag

10.4.3 Menu Item Selection Lag
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 09:18 PM

Yes... 10.4.3 is finally here and it does not fix the less than responsive menu item selections. I recently found out that it has nothing to do with Carbon or Cocoa apps... it has to do with ANY app that was compiled in Tiger.

Does anyone know how to use developer tools to maybe turn this "feature" off?

Before you all flame me for posting another topic about this... lemme just say this: I really want to get to the bottom of this. I don't like a slow computer and I don't like a slow feeling computer. I even use a 1.8GHz G5 at work and it too suffers from the same lag. I will say this... Exposé is noticably faster now (however, not as fast as it is with beam sync completely disabled...at least on my machine)

Now, I realize I don't have the fastest video card (32MB) but, I do know that this is not dependant on processor speed or video card speed... it's the same exact experience on every Mac I have tried.

So if you can find it in your hearts to just please give me a chance and acknowledge my perfectionistic feelings about Mac OS X's interface. I think the GUI interface should be free of slowness and lag to give the user the optimal Mac OS X user experience. What happens when PC users switch over and they notice that Mac OS X isn't as responsive as their 5 year old PC box? It's a bad image on Apple and I don't particularly care for it. If this never gets fixed, then I guess I'll just have to live with it and who knows... maybe someday I'll completely forget about it and when I go and use an older Mac running Panther I'll remember (Hey! I remember when the menus were fast now!)

If anyone can help... great. How come I don't really see any info about this topic on the internet?

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 09:20 PM

Also, I don't know what is going on with MacNN lately... but, when I post... Safari will hang for a while and then tell me there was a time out error... then I find my topic completely blank. Wow, that's annoying. I hope it gets fixed soon. For now... I guess just ignore the other threads.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 09:25 PM

I don't really notice the lag at all, even though i use windows all day at work on a superfast HP, but when I go back to panther I sure do notice the menus being faster. Maybe you can give examples of apps running on Tiger that have slow menus and apps that have fast menus so people can see if they see what you are talking about.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 09:28 PM

Okay... an app with fast menus would generally be any App that was created BEFORE Tiger. In other words... compiled on a Panther machine or less.... such as Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, iPhoto, GarageBand, iMovie HD, Toast Titanium, VLC and Logic Express. Those are just some examples of Apps I have on my computer.... those menus seem just as responsive as the ones in Panther (or previous).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2005, 09:35 PM

Oh great, not this crap again...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Oh great, not this crap again...
Why is it crap?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
Yes... 10.4.3 is finally here and it does not fix the less than responsive menu item selections. I recently found out that it has nothing to do with Carbon or Cocoa apps... it has to do with ANY app that was compiled in Tiger.

Does anyone know how to use developer tools to maybe turn this "feature" off?...
You turn it off in Quartz Debug. The feature is called coalesced updates, or deferred updates, or beam synchronization. This is forced upon all programs that are compiled against 10.4. Even in the original Apple release notes, the complaint has always been that it may make some programs seem slower, when in fact, they were just wasting processor time before. Now, menu updates are only done once per screen refresh. As a result, if you are moving your mouse fast enough, the actual mouse cursor may skip a menu item. If the mouse cursor skips a menu item, so does the menu highlight.

Seriously, dude. People are starting to group this complaint in with mAxximo's "OS 9 is better than OS X" complaints.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=254030
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=254801
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=267897
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules