Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just bought a mac mini package for $1k, did I blow it? (again, sorry)

Just bought a mac mini package for $1k, did I blow it? (again, sorry)
molex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 04:50 PM

Sorry about the previous blank thread, mods could you delete it? Thanks.

I bought a $1010 shipped mac mini package, it's a 1.42GHz mac mini with 1gig memory, airport/bluetooth, 80gig superdrive, sony 17" screen, mac wireless keyboard and mouse.

I see now I could have got a 17" imac intel for a few hundred more. Did I blow it? Going to be used for home computing including: Photoshop CS, entourage, netscape and microsoft office. Mostly web surfing and some medium duty photshop use (dealing with 5 meg image files etc.)

Current computer: Powerbook G4 15", 667MHz processor 1gig memory.

So, the bottom line is: Should I get a 1.8GHz iMac with intel duo processor and flip the Mac Mini, or will the mini suit my needs?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, and sorry again about the dud thread.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2006, 04:53 PM

an imac would have been much better imo but what do i know.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2006, 04:54 PM

I'd go for the iMac... the mini is crippled with 1 RAM slot and a laptop hard drive, and the screen you got is probably lower resolution.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 05:14 PM

without a doubt the iMac
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

toneloco28
Feb 25, 2006, 05:15 PM

iMac, no question!

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 05:40 PM

The Mac Mini may, very well, suit your needs. However, the Intel iMac is faster, will net you more hard drive space, allow you more system ram, give you a MUCH nicer display, and have you transitioned to the Intel platform.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2006, 05:47 PM

I think the iMac would be a better deal, but either one should suit your needs.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

molex  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 10:08 PM

Thanks guys for the quick info.

Sounds like I bought a bit too soon. oops.

---update (if you care)---

Now the wife is pissed at me because this wasn't even the computer she wanted in the first place. So now I'm trying to get the seller to be a nice guy and let me out of the deal, of course I'll pay his fees on ebay etc. Hopefully he'll let me, because she said "No way". I might be looking at some neg feedback here, bummer. Now I really look like an ass, X2, bought the wrong computer from two perspectives... guess which one I care about more? =)
( Last edited by molex; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:56 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2006, 11:00 PM

Considering Apple is selling refurbed 1.6GHz G5 iMacs for $749 and 1.8GHzs for $799, yeah, you goofed.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2006, 04:42 AM

if he doesnt let you out, you may need to just re-ebay it.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 11:20 AM

Well, everyone is saying "iMac" but when I read your post, it does not sound like you NEED an iMac to do any of the things you listed. Nothing there is super intensive. 1 GB of ram is more than sufficient to run the apps you listed without swapping.

Stick with your mini for awhile.

Me, I am waiting for Tuesday then getting a new mini. Core solo baby, 1.67... very excited. I am wondering if I should order my Dell monitor now or wait and see how long the mini will take to get here...
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by molex
Thanks guys for the quick info.

Sounds like I bought a bit too soon. oops.

---update (if you care)---

Now the wife is pissed at me because this wasn't even the computer she wanted in the first place. So now I'm trying to get the seller to be a nice guy and let me out of the deal, of course I'll pay his fees on ebay etc. Hopefully he'll let me, because she said "No way". I might be looking at some neg feedback here, bummer. Now I really look like an ass, X2, bought the wrong computer from two perspectives... guess which one I care about more? =)
Ooops. Didn't read far enough. Ah well, I guess it could be said that whenever you make your wife mad, you lose.

Titom
Feb 26, 2006, 02:07 PM

Tuishimi- a new mini. Core solo baby, 1.67... very excited. I am wondering

most are hoping for a duel core mini mac..... and a 3.5 inch hard drive would be nice!

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Titom
Tuishimi- a new mini. Core solo baby, 1.67... very excited. I am wondering

most are hoping for a duel core mini mac..... and a 3.5 inch hard drive would be nice!
I'm guessing they will have core duo's. But the cost will be offset by using Intel integrated graphics. Everything else pretty much the same. (

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
I'm guessing they will have core duo's. But the cost will be offset by using Intel integrated graphics. Everything else pretty much the same. (
I am guessing core solo only, but that doesn't deter me. That and 64MB vram standard. The 5400 laptop drives are not bad, you know. I bought one for my old mini and it performed nearly as well as some 7200 RPM drives...

T-2 days and counting!

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 08:59 PM

We'll know if I am wrong the day after tomorrow, but I would be surprised if both the Mini and the iBook have anything but a Core Solo. Personally, a Core Solo would be fine with me if they upgrade the video card to something core image compatable and offer a 7200rpm drive option.
Agent69

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
We'll know if I am wrong the day after tomorrow, but I would be surprised if both the Mini and the iBook have anything but a Core Solo. Personally, a Core Solo would be fine with me if they upgrade the video card to something core image compatable and offer a 7200rpm drive option.
Ditto.

Forum Links
Forum Rules