Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Why does Diablo II LOD spike my cpu to 100%?

Why does Diablo II LOD spike my cpu to 100%?
pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 10:25 PM

I have the latest version of Diablo II installed on my ibook (1.33 GHz G4), and every time I run the app (whehter under software rendering or OpenGL) it spikes the cpu to 100%. This means that my computer heats up and the fan starts rolling to keep the heat down.

This game is more than five years old. There's no way it should be using 100% of my processor cycles. Does anyone here know what's going on????
Swimming upstream since 1994.

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 11:39 PM

It has always used 100% on my Macs.

pimephalis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by baw
It has always used 100% on my Macs.
Well, that's unfortunate. Is this because of some weird coding bug, or is it just the program pushing lower-end computers? Does anyone have something with serious horsepower (ie. speedy G5, and Intel Mac) to test whether Diablo II eats up all of their cycles as well?
Swimming upstream since 1994.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 12:31 PM

Most games in general tend to push the hardware since they try to run the game as fast as possible. Just about all of the games in my library use up near 100% of CPU. There are some that are more event driven (like card games) that are very easy on the CPU usage, but most 3D games and/or more complex games with AI, physics, etc, are going to be using more resources.

Forum Links
Forum Rules