Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Firewire, DV, and WallStreet

Firewire, DV, and WallStreet
BLKessler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2000, 11:37 AM

I've seen a couple of other messages in this forum regarding similar topics, but I'm still concerned, so I hope you'll all bear with me.

I've got a 300MHz WallStreet PowerBook with 192MB of RAM. I'm interested in hooking up a digital camcorder to the PowerBook via FireWire and using iMovie to begin playing with digital video. Of course, there's no built-in FireWire on this machine.

Does anybody have any experience with FireWire PCMCIA cards in this scenario? I'm looking for recommendations on what card to buy that will work well with iMovie and my camera; I'm going to be purchasing the Canon ZR-10 or the Canon Optura Pi for the filming.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

------------------
Brett Kessler
MCSE, MCP+I
--
Brett L. Kessler

wags1_9_99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2000, 03:01 PM

I have a Wallstreet 233 with 160 MB, and I just got a Newer Firewire 2 Go card for Christmas. I'm using a Sony DCR-TRV 310 (I'm sure a Canon camera will work just as great, if not better!), and I did a little experimenting with iMovie 2 over the holiday. Although the "requirements/recommendations" for DV (according to iMovie and the Newer documentation) are for a 300 Mhz G3, which you have, my 233 Mhz works pretty good, considering it's 2 years old.

Although it doesn't go quite as slick as my brother's new 500 Mhz iMac, it still works. I've only played around with it a little bit, but here's a few more specifics on how it works on my machine:
- The Newer card works great--you don't even have to install any software. I hadn't ever put a PCMCIA card in my laptop before, so I was surprised how hard you had to push to get the card in, but once I got past that, it showed right up on my desktop.
- When I import/export from/to the camera, the video shown in the iMovie preview window is pretty jerky. Also, if you just try playing the video, it's jerky. However, no frames are lost in importing/exporting. I'm guessing the playback in iMovie would be smoother on a 300 Mhz machine.
- I can't do full screen previewing in iMovie. The sound plays, but no video. Your 300 Mhz machine may work.

And, hey, when the Firewire 2 Go card is only $35 w/ free shipping at outpost.com, you can't really go wrong!

Forum Links
Forum Rules