Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Laptob newbie question

Laptob newbie question
xsphat
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2006, 03:15 AM

I just picked up a white MacBook for college (loving it!), and I have a question for all of you long time laptop users out there.

Should I shut my MB down before I put it in my backpack? If not, how long is it safe to be in there in sleep mode? Any MacBook specifics on this?

Thank you.

webmonkie
Oct 2, 2006, 08:12 AM

I would turn my notebook off just to keep my battery alive.
I don't think if you keep your notebook at sleep it would catch on fire or anything like that.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 12:01 PM

I just put mine to sleep all the time. I rarely if ever shut it off. When I need it I don't have the time to wait for it to boot back up. When you wake from sleep it's about a second and you are off using it. you chould leave it asleep for 2 days and it should be fine. Even longer is okay too just check the battery level when you open it up. I've heard from people that they shut it off because of the drive heads spinning or something like that. I've put ever powerbook I've had to sleep and never had a problem so I just put it to sleep.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

xsphat  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 01:27 PM

I left my other Macs on all the time too, I was just wondering if laptops were different, and a little concerned since I just dropped a chit ton of cash on it.

Thanks people.

cruisereg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 02:00 PM

I love the instant on access.
2GHz MacBook w/2Gb RAM & 120Gb disk

Forum Links
Forum Rules