Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Happy Hacker Pro keyboard

Happy Hacker Pro keyboard
xsphat
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2007, 06:25 AM

Does anyone have one of these? Why is it $250? Is the action that much better? I dig it, but I am a writer and I look at the keys when I type, so a blank keyboard might help me break out of that bad habit. My big concern is this: What keys are used as arrows in a Word file? Are they Fn + [;'/ or what?

OreoCookie
Jan 28, 2007, 10:02 AM

I thought they didn't make a keyboard more expensive than the Tactile Pro.
If you want a very nice keyboard and don't mind one that is noisy, get a Tactile Pro. It's almost as good as an IBM PS2 keyboard (IMHO the best keyboard ever made) and on par with NeXT keyboards.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 11:32 PM

Yeah, check out the Matias Tactile Pro keyboard. Great feel. Has the old-fashioned loud, clacky mechanical keyswitches the PS2 and original ADB Apple Extended Keyboard used. An excellent writer's keyboard. Worth the cost.

xsphat  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2007, 01:31 AM

Cost is really not the issue here, I am looking for a great keyboard. i would buy the HHKP

PFU Limited | Happy Hacking Keyboard

What is it with these IBM model Ms I keep hearing about?

OreoCookie
Jan 29, 2007, 04:02 AM

… they simply are the best keyboards of all times, as simple as that.
I have a Tactile Pro and it comes close enough for me to be extremely happy. It's a huge difference to regular keyboards, it is a great keyboard.

Since I don't know the Happy Hacking Keyboard, I can't really say much about it. But the Tactile Pro uses the same type of mechanical switches.

Mind you that the Tactile Pro is a much better Mac Keyboard as well, fits perfectly in front of my 17" ACD and has a built-in USB hub.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2007, 04:53 AM

Has good is the tactile pro compared to my wireless bluetooth keyboard from appple? the best keyboard i can remember using are the old apple ones back in elementary school, the apples with the 5 inch floppy's. lol

xsphat  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2007, 04:20 AM

My MacBook has keys that use some scissors mechaninzum that I really like. The short throw feels really good. I have been checking out the Kensington keyboard with that action. I guess I am still up in the air - loud keys with springs or something like the 'Book has.

xsphat  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2007, 04:33 AM

The Kensington SlimType is the one.

SlimType Keyboard - Mac

Anybody have this one?

monarch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 07:51 PM

I love those mechanical keyswitches.

If you're looking for that old school feel you can get an IBM Model M (best keyboard ever) at clicky keyboards

Or, you can look for the old Apple Extended keyboards on eBay and get a Griffin imate ADB-to-USB adaptor. That will also work with the old Apple Keyboard II (you can find those on eBay too).
24" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz 500GB HD 2GB RAM
15" G4 PowerBook 1.5GHz 1GB RAM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by monarch View Post
I love those mechanical keyswitches.

If you're looking for that old school feel you can get an IBM Model M (best keyboard ever) at clicky keyboards

Or, you can look for the old Apple Extended keyboards on eBay and get a Griffin imate ADB-to-USB adaptor. That will also work with the old Apple Keyboard II (you can find those on eBay too).
The Tactile Pro uses the same keyswitches. Sounds exactly the same. And matches the modern MacOS X layout, including volume & eject keys. Also has the option-characters and shift-option-characters printed on the keycaps, too.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2007, 08:32 AM

Has anyone else looked into the Tactile Pro 2.0? I love my Tactile Pro, and will most likely get the 2.0 when it is released to use at school with my MacBook Pro.
SAm

Matias Tactile Pro 2.0 Keyboard

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2007, 02:29 AM

I just got a Kensington SlimType (Mac, White) in a trade, and is by far the best keyboard I've used. The keys require little force, they are indeed "slim" like a laptops, but it is the extended keyboard size with number pad, full function keys, etc.

It even has the 'power' button to call up shut down / reset / sleep menu, an itunes controller, and (of course) an eject key and volume keys.
yep.

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by xsphat View Post
My MacBook has keys that use some scissors mechaninzum that I really like. The short throw feels really good. I have been checking out the Kensington keyboard with that action. I guess I am still up in the air - loud keys with springs or something like the 'Book has.
If you like those type of keys, you should check out the MacAlly iceKey. It uses the same mechanism. It has a nice solid short throw just like a laptop keyboard.

http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...ce/icekey.html

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
Has anyone else looked into the Tactile Pro 2.0? I love my Tactile Pro, and will most likely get the 2.0 when it is released to use at school with my MacBook Pro.
SAm

Matias Tactile Pro 2.0 Keyboard
The USB 2.0 hub on it (as opposed to the usual USB 1.1 on most other keyboards) seems nice. The "optimize" function however can be just as easily handled by software - and likely more customizably, too (is that a word?).

xsphat  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
more customizably, too (is that a word?).
More customizable. I'm an English major.

xsphat  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 01:15 AM

I'll look into that Macnally and if I don't like the Kensington I'll buy it.

Thanks for your help, people. This may not be too big an issue for most people, but I spend hours everyday typing, and i take my tools very seriously (insert Bevis and Butthead laughter here).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 02:55 AM

There is another blank keyboard which also uses the clicky-sounding mechanical switches. Its call the Das Keyboard. You can find it at ThinkGeek.com. It differs from the Happy Hacker unit in that its got a full numeric keypad, arrow inverted-T pad, and a full row of standard function keys.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 08:49 AM

Another vote for the HHK Pro. Once you use one, you'll never want another keyboard.

(my next one will definitely have the blank keys...keep people off my computer)

xsphat  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2007, 01:38 AM

On HHK Pro, what do you use for arrow keys in a word processor?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
There is another blank keyboard which also uses the clicky-sounding mechanical switches. Its call the Das Keyboard. You can find it at ThinkGeek.com. It differs from the Happy Hacker unit in that its got a full numeric keypad, arrow inverted-T pad, and a full row of standard function keys.
And it costs significantly less, although even $80 for a standard 104-key USB keyboard is overkill IMO. Someone should write a program that gives the "clicky clacky sound" whenever you type a key. That way, you can use the free keyboard that came with your computer instead of spending $250 (wtf) on a keyboard just because it makes a lot of noise and doesn't have labels on the keys (btw a little acetone will take those key labels right off an existing keyboard).

[edit]
The Happy Hacker store has the "lite" keyboard for $70. It has the key labels, but it also has the arrow keys.

Not to mention you could always just train yourself to not look at the keys when you type, or cover up the keys with a sheet of paper taped to the top of the keyboard (that's what they did to us in our touch-typing classes in grade school) ...it's a lot less frustrating than staring at a blank keyboard trying to find out where the caret or pound symbols are.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Feb 13, 2007 at 01:31 PM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

OreoCookie
Feb 13, 2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
And it costs significantly less, although even $80 for a standard 104-key USB keyboard is overkill IMO. Someone should write a program that gives the "clicky clacky sound" whenever you type a key. That way, you can use the free keyboard that came with your computer instead of spending $250 (wtf) on a keyboard just because it makes a lot of noise and doesn't have labels on the keys (btw a little acetone will take those key labels right off an existing keyboard).
That doesn't replace a good keyboard, it's more about how the key stroke feels. And mechanical keys feel different than the usual membrane switches you find these days.

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
If you like those type of keys, you should check out the MacAlly iceKey. It uses the same mechanism. It has a nice solid short throw just like a laptop keyboard.

Products- icekey - USB slim extended keyboard for Mac
I didn't know they had them in black too! I have the kensignton slimtype, which feels really good (great for gaming too), but I wish it had a USB hub like the macally icekey. So I'll be getting the icekey when I order my Mac Pro, though I'd really like to get the BT Key, which has been "coming soon" for nearly two years...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That doesn't replace a good keyboard, it's more about how the key stroke feels. And mechanical keys feel different than the usual membrane switches you find these days.
I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I've used the keyswitch mechanism on laptops, the membrane deal on newer keyboards, and the classic clicky mechanical switches. I don't know that I really favor one over the other, though.

But I don't get why the Happy Hacker Pro is $250. You lose the arrow keys and the key lables. Why spend 3.5x more on a keyboard that technically has less features? The Happy Hacker Lite still has the clicky sounds, and costs substantially less. It just seems like overkill and a waste of money. I can think of much better things than an underfeatured keyboard to spend $250 on...like electricity and food.

What we need is an AT-to-USB adapter so that you can use those classic IBM keyboards, which still go for less than $20 or so on eBay.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

OreoCookie
Feb 14, 2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
What we need is an AT-to-USB adapter so that you can use those classic IBM keyboards, which still go for less than $20 or so on eBay.
I don't rationalize the purchase of a Happy Hacker Keyboard, but it was sufficient to justify the purchase of my Tactile Pro

I got used to notebook keyboards, too, but I've worn out almost three keyboards with my last iBooks

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2007, 04:02 AM

The best keyboard I've used, bar none, is the Kinesis Advantage Pro contoured keyboard. Once I tried it, I never looked back. Took me about 2 weeks to get used to it, but it has been smooth smailing since. One nice thing is that it has programmable modes (and comes pre-programmed for Mac, Windows, and "PC" modes).

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Feb 15, 2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by xsphat View Post
More customizable. I'm an English major.
As in you're an English Major and I'm Private Pendantic, or that your major was English? *rasp*

xsphat  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2007, 09:07 PM

According to Associated Press guidelines, the word 'major' does not need to be capitalized when used in that way .

Forum Links
Forum Rules