Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Federer. "...the greatest talent in the history of tennis"

Federer. "...the greatest talent in the history of tennis" (Page 5)
molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 03:55 PM

Federer showed more variety in this game, there were some rallies where he employed three different backhands (slice, topspin, flat) at different speeds one after the other and it really got to Nadal who was only hitting hard from the baseline. But Nadal is learning fast! And he gave Roj so much trouble in the 2nd set with angled passing shots that Roj had to stick to the baseline (which isn't his game).

It will be very interesting at the US Open. If they both make the final, I'm thinking Nadal would have the advantage.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by molala
But Nadal is learning fast! And he gave Roj so much trouble in the 2nd set with angled passing shots that Roj had to stick to the baseline (which isn't his game).
I have to disagree... Federer plays really well from the baseline too. He can play anything he wants it seems.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
I have to disagree... Federer plays really well from the baseline too. He can play anything he wants it seems.
Word.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2006, 11:18 PM

I'm glad Fed won. At least we have a rivalry in tennis right now. They are both very different players, both in style and mannerism, and it'd be good to see a strong rivalry develop.

U.S. tennis is pretty weak right now. But I really like James Blake... though he does have difficulty winning the big 5-set matches. Now that people can handle Roddick's serve, he's not really a threat.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by spectre
I'm glad Fed won. At least we have a rivalry in tennis right now. They are both very different players, both in style and mannerism, and it'd be good to see a strong rivalry develop.

U.S. tennis is pretty weak right now. But I really like James Blake... though he does have difficulty winning the big 5-set matches. Now that people can handle Roddick's serve, he's not really a threat.
The U.S. has had a relatively rough year in '06 (except Blake and the Bryan Brothers), but let's not forget last year's U.S. Open.  Blake made the quarters, Ginepri made the semis, and Agassi defeated both to make the final.  There are currently 4 Americans in the Top 20, which is more than any other country.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 07:28 PM

Open-Federer wins his third straight U.S. Open crown
NEW YORK, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Roger Federer won his third U.S. Open championship in a row on Sunday by beating Andy Roddick 6-2 4-6 7-5 6-1 in the final.
Federer crushed the American in a 28-minute final set to claim his ninth grand slam crown and third of the season after triumphs at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.
The Swiss maestro captured the only service break of a hotly contested third set by breaking the ninth-seeded American in the 12th and last game and never looked back.
Roddick, the 2003 winner, won just 13 points in the last set, which Federer ended emphatically with an overhead smash before laying down on his back in relief.

-------------------

Rogi is a genius! What an amazing game!!! He gets into this cruise mode sometimes and it feels like a dream, some of those angle and the fluency of his shots are just unbelievable, and the way he floats around at the baseline..just awesome. ah! how lucky I am to be alive to watch this guy play!! Congrats Roger!!!! Way to go!!

( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Sep 10, 2006 at 07:58 PM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2006, 07:57 PM

Roddick played amazingly well. He had no shot at winning, but Connors has at least turned him into a real tennis player.

Roger was phenomenal as always. He didn't even play that well, but he turned it on when he needed.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2006, 08:23 PM

Greatest ever? Probably so.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Greatest ever? Probably so.
The best to watch? Definitely.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 09:48 PM

One word: Allez!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2006, 12:28 AM

I think the funniest part about the US Open is that Roger wasn't even playing that well. It was like a test session for him.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2006, 12:52 AM

I watched the match and I have some observations:

• R-Fed is hella nice
• R-Fed is hella cocky
• Not fun to watch a waspy white dude punk everyone else
• Blake, Rod, Nadal, Hew — all are "interesting" and more fun to root for
• R-Fed is fun to watch in the sense MJ or Tiger is fun to watch. He's domineering
• R-Fed is not fun to watch in the sense MJ or Tiger is fun to watch. He's domineering

I think Nadal vs. Federer at the Fench is the best match until we see a true contender start to rival R-Fed. Right now it's not really fun. I turned it off after 10 - 15 minutes.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2006, 01:15 AM

Roger could beat Coach Ditka in tennis...yes, he is that good.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
I think the funniest part about the US Open is that Roger wasn't even playing that well. It was like a test session for him.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
I watched the match and I have some observations:

• R-Fed is hella nice
• R-Fed is hella cocky
• Not fun to watch a waspy white dude punk everyone else
• Blake, Rod, Nadal, Hew — all are "interesting" and more fun to root for
• R-Fed is fun to watch in the sense MJ or Tiger is fun to watch. He's domineering
• R-Fed is not fun to watch in the sense MJ or Tiger is fun to watch. He's domineering

I think Nadal vs. Federer at the Fench is the best match until we see a true contender start to rival R-Fed. Right now it's not really fun. I turned it off after 10 - 15 minutes.
Um, if you turned it off after 10-15 minutes, all you saw was Roddick getting blasted off the court. You missed Roger's slump and Andy's best tennis -- probably the best match he's ever played. You didn't really see the match at all.

Anyway, Roger is more confident than cocky. And I can't imagine anyone more interesting and fun to watch. BTW, I don't see him as domineering at all. Dominating, yes.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2006, 11:35 AM

You're right, I watched the first set and I was like — THIS MOFO GOT WHIPPED — then I saw a bit of the comeback...

but honestly, did you ever think Rod has a chance? I think my terminology was correct, "domineering". Fed didn't powerhouse (dominate) his shots and blow away Rod... instead he keeps forcing (domineering) Roddick to hit it right back to him. Then Fed picks him apart with a service game Rod doesn't have. When watching, I was like , "how come Rod doesn't hit it to that other side"... it's because he can't. Fed is controlling Rod like a puppet with his spin and angles.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2006, 03:39 PM

I thought Andy would bring more game then that, but Roger is just too good. Roger deserves the title, however I think he and Tiger are totally gay for each other.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2006, 04:36 PM

who's on the bottom?

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2006, 06:41 PM

Roddick played really well, and actually had a chance to take control of the match in the third set. If he had broken Federer's serve, it would have been quite a different match.

Federer was pretty amazing though... especially in that fourth set. I'll never get bored of watching this guy.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
You're right, I watched the first set and I was like — THIS MOFO GOT WHIPPED — then I saw a bit of the comeback...

but honestly, did you ever think Rod has a chance?
Of course not. Andy isn't even in Roger's league. I think Federer must've been really tired that one time Roddick beat him in '03.

I think my terminology was correct, "domineering". Fed didn't powerhouse (dominate) his shots and blow away Rod... instead he keeps forcing (domineering) Roddick to hit it right back to him. Then Fed picks him apart with a service game Rod doesn't have. When watching, I was like , "how come Rod doesn't hit it to that other side"... it's because he can't. Fed is controlling Rod like a puppet with his spin and angles.
Hmm. "Domineering" implies arrogance to me. I don't see any of that. I was a little shocked at the presence of vocal Federer fans. As far as blowing Roddick away goes, the first and final sets featured a lot of that.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 01:35 PM

Federer wins Japan open. Beats Tim Henman 6-3, 6-3 and pockets $765,000. cmon! guys make him sweat a bit! lol111

The 32-year-old told his official website, The Official Website of Tim Henman - Home - 5:45:24 PM "I am not the first guy to lose to Roger and I will not be the last.

"Roger was too strong for me today and he is a phenomenal player - there are very few that can live with him on any surface other than clay at the moment.

"It is difficult to hurt him as he has got so many strengths and so few weaknesses and - the scary thing is - he is still improving.

"So it is tough to compete with him, especially in the latter stages of tournaments when he has had a chance to build up his confidence.

"But that is what we have all got to try to do. It is a formidable challenge, but competing against arguably the greatest player of all time is the ultimate test and so it is one that I still enjoy."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 03:15 PM

dude you should change your name to goroger - you would totally make out with him if you could

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
dude you should change your name to goroger - you would totally make out with him if you could
You go right ahead. I will distract Tiger.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2006, 02:02 PM

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Roger Federer of Switzerland won his first Madrid Masters and 10th title of the season Sunday with a 7-5, 6-1, 6-0 victory over Fernando Gonzalez..

The ballgirls didn't distract him either.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2006, 09:49 PM

Heh, gotta love the ball'girls'. I saw the match against Gonzalez, and man, Federer just kicked his ass. He's just so much better than anyone else right now, and Nadal is struggling a bit on hard court this season.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 10:48 AM

haha... the media was hyping the Rog/Roddick match so much and Rog beat the piss out of Roddick in 83 mins. 6-4, 6-0, 6-2

Roddick: "It was frustrating, it was miserable, it sucked, it was terrible. Besides that, it was fine."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 12:55 PM

Excellent job, Roger and Serena!

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2007, 01:10 PM

It was a good final. Sort of loose and scrappy first set for Federer but after that he came into his own. We will see more of Gonzo's serve and forehands in the future for sure. It was interesting to see how Federer basically wore Gonzo down.

"I think the art of Roger is probably the best player I've ever seen. ... The way he's compiling the Grand Slam titles, I think he's got a great chance of being the best ever," Laver said.

The 68-year-old Laver made a rare return to Melbourne from California to marvel at Federer again.

"Roger's got too many shots, too much talent in one body," Laver said. "It's hardly fair that one person can do all this -- his backhands, his forehands, volleys, serving, his court position ... the way he moves around the court, you feel like he's barely touching the ground. That's the sign of a great champion."

Laver said it all after that unbelievable Federer-Roddick semi-final game.

YouTube - Roger Federer vs Andy Roddick
( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Jan 28, 2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added youtube link for the semi-final game.)

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2007, 01:20 PM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 02:12 PM

He's just insanely smooth.

I watched all his matches at the last two men's appearances on the Toronto stop...just crazy. It's like he's liquid or something.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 02:20 PM

Too good. I'm glad I stayed up to watch him put on a clinic.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2007, 09:38 PM

I went to bed during the second set, I've seen enough ownage from him. Not that it get's boring, but I wanted to see more of a fight from Gonzo. He had an awesome tournament up until the final.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 10:14 PM

The question is, can anyone step up to make a good rivalry with Roger? It's not looking that way...

Once he wins the French, he will, in my opinion, seal the title of The Greatest Tennis Player to Ever Play the Game. 10 Grand Slams and he's ONLY 25. That's insane. He'll have at least 11 by years end. Average 1 more each of the next 5 years and he'll pass Sampras. 20 or more Grand Slams is not out of the question for this guy. Amazing.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2007, 01:00 AM

I really need to see Federer live in the next few years. Too bad there aren't really any big tennis tournaments even close to Vancouver.

Gonzo had a great tournament. He was playing Federer-like the past few rounds, but just didn't have enough to take down the master himself. The all court game will be the game of the future... and damn, it'll be a nice change from simple baseline slugging.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
The question is, can anyone step up to make a good rivalry with Roger? It's not looking that way...

Once he wins the French, he will, in my opinion, seal the title of The Greatest Tennis Player to Ever Play the Game. 10 Grand Slams and he's ONLY 25. That's insane. He'll have at least 11 by years end. Average 1 more each of the next 5 years and he'll pass Sampras. 20 or more Grand Slams is not out of the question for this guy. Amazing.
Perhaps not? The only comparison I saw all weekend was with another dominant figure in a different sport - Tiger Woods. ESPN had a poll on who was more dominant, I think there's an article about it....

Personally I don't think you can compare the two given the sport formats are so different. But the article I read did a pretty good job - and gave Federer the edge because he has a better record when comparing to Woods' match play records in golf.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by spectre View Post
I really need to see Federer live in the next few years. Too bad there aren't really any big tennis tournaments even close to Vancouver.

Gonzo had a great tournament. He was playing Federer-like the past few rounds, but just didn't have enough to take down the master himself. The all court game will be the game of the future... and damn, it'll be a nice change from simple baseline slugging.
The Toronto Masters Series is pretty close to Vancouver, am I right?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
The Toronto Masters Series is pretty close to Vancouver, am I right?
Not quite...

Counting Baghdatis last year, Federer has beaten players who previously looked Federeresque in previous rounds.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 07:43 AM

Wimbledon 07 finals (Federer Vs. Nadal) will most likely be one of the greatest matches that I have ever seen, Rafa deserved to win for sure, but Federer came through at the clutch points and finished it with a flash of brilliance:

( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Jul 9, 2007 at 07:53 AM. )

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
There are currently 4 Americans in the Top 20, which is more than any other country.
There are 5 spaniards
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by amsalpemkcus View Post
Wimbledon 07 finals (Federer Vs. Nadal) will most likely be one of the greatest matches that I have ever seen, Rafa deserved to win for sure, but Federer came through at the clutch points and finished it with a flash of brilliance:
I don't know that Rafa "deserved" to win. I think he could have, but like Roger said, he was the lucky one that day. He came up with the big shots on the big points.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by cenutrio View Post
There are 5 spaniards
My post was from a year ago.

Congratulations, Roger and Venus! Great results! Roger looked like he wanted to give it away, but he picked it up in the big moments.

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2007, 06:56 PM

LOL!1 What a bizzare usopen final so far. Djoko keeps running into Federer's mojo-wall!

abe
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2007, 07:21 PM

BBC SPORT | Tennis | Australian Open 2004 | Federer tipped for greatness

almost a meditative calm as he reaches for those shots..
Unbelievable talent!! watch out! Sampras... Ofcourse Roddick should just retire prematurely...

for some hi-res pics for Federer fans out there, go here :

http://www.rogerfederer.com/modules....download&cid=1

An article describing the moments after reaching the top spot:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Federer on top of the world after triumph in Melbourne

EVE FODENS IN MELBOURNE

ROGER Federer was close to tears in the Rod Laver Arena yesterday after a masterful performance against Juan Carlos Ferrero not only confirmed his place in the men�s singles final at the Australian Open, but also secured his status, for the first time, as the finest tennis player on the planet.

It was as if the Swiss 22-year-old had won the tournament itself as he celebrated his 6-4, 6-1, 6-4 win by sinking to his knees on court, the fans at Melbourne Park showering him with adulation. Regardless of the outcome of tomorrow�s final against the revitalised Russian Marat Safin, Federer will replace America�s Andy Roddick at the top of the ATP world rankings and he is determined to bask in the glory.

"It�s something I will never have again in my life," said the reigning Wimbledon champion. "Only once in your life can you be No1 in the world for the first time. I really wanted to enjoy it. You cannot describe the feelings inside. I�m definitely a guy who is rather calm on the outside but very emotional inside. I showed everything that was going on inside of myself at the presentation trophy at Wimbledon. It wasn�t far away today.

"It was more of a joy and pride to be the No1, the No1 in men�s tennis. There were some really tough guys around, and I beat them all. Now I have got a chance for the title. I am No1 in the world. I cannot ask for more right now."
"
With today's win 7-6, 7-6 & 6-4 clinches it for me.

Greatest ever.

I think Laver would even have to give him props.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

amsalpemkcus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2007, 07:39 PM

It is brutal indeed to see Novak lose in straight sets after having played so well. But then losing so many opportunities to break away and win the first two sets makes one wonder whether Novak really defeated himself mentally first. And for someone with so much talent as Novak this is not good to see. But I guess it must be quite something to be in a position to beat Federer in a grand slam these days. Such is the aura Federer must carry with him these days. Winning despite playing his B-level game against an upcoming star like Novak makes no sense.

Anyway, time for some souvenier images of "The Greatest One" in action winning his 12th Slam:

( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Sep 9, 2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: adding images)

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2007, 08:01 PM

Ah, excellence... it just never gets old. Congratulations, Roger! That certainly makes up for the mediocre result on the women's side.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Sep 9, 2007, 08:48 PM

I am not really a fan of tennis. But when I watched him play today, I have to admit he is damn good.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2007, 09:32 PM

By the way, I am an ok player myself and tennis is my favorite sport...could have gone on playing seriously but it takes a lot for that.
Me too! I played for college, taught it, and coached it....then some mothering jackass slammed into me one night a couple years ago on the way to practice, totaled my jeep grand cherokee, jacked me up, and I've been out of it for like 2 years. I'm going to get back into it hardcore this year and see if my back will take it.

Meh.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2007, 10:37 PM

What's really funny is that he didn't play all that well in the semis and in the finals and still won in straights in both matches.

Too good.

abe
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Agasthya View Post
What's really funny is that he didn't play all that well in the semis and in the finals and still won in straights in both matches.

Too good.
Say that the next time he plays Nadal, who is still improving.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
Say that the next time he plays Nadal, who is still improving.
Can you imagine how great 2008 is going to be? He's going to tie Sampras' record by wining the French (that should solidify him as the greatest of all time) and then he will pass Sampras at Wimbledon by winning his sixth consecutive. How fitting is that. I can't wait.

abe
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Agasthya View Post
Can you imagine how great 2008 is going to be? He's going to tie Sampras' record by wining the French (that should solidify him as the greatest of all time) and then he will pass Sampras at Wimbledon by winning his sixth consecutive. How fitting is that. I can't wait.
I was a slow convert to the Federer fold. But I really think he has everything it takes to be indisputably the best of all time by a wide margin.

Here's a recent interview with Charlie Rose and several tennis analysts talking about Roger's greatness.

Roger Federer - Charlie Rose
Roger Federer
09/03/2007
Jim Courier, Roger Federer, John McEnroe, Bud Collins, Rod Laver, Rafael Nadal
A discussion about tennis professional Roger Federer
Keywords:
U.S. Open, pro, tennis, Sampras, Grand Slam, InsideOut Sports & Entertainment, rod laver, courier
Buy Share
A discussion about tennis professional Roger Federer with tennis greats, Rod Laver, John McEnroe, Jim Courier, Rafael Nadal & Roger Federer himself. Also joining the discussion is sports journalist Bud Collins.
comments 10 comments | More Info...

Forum Links
Forum Rules