Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cashing out an HSA account.. or not?

Cashing out an HSA account.. or not?
Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2007, 11:54 PM

This is fairly trivial, but I'm curious to see what the consensus is. I only started the HSA account like 2 pay periods before I quit my previous job to take a new position and there is only like $250 in the account. My new employer does not offer an HSA qualified health plan so I can't use the money in the account without tax penalty. I would just leave it in, but the stupid bank takes $2 a month as a maintenance fee. I thought I might be able to do the investment option and earn 13% which would gain just a bit more than the $2 a month and keep the account growing, but you need at least $2500 to use the investment option.

I'm just wondering what you would do in my case? cash it out and take the 10% penalty? or let the money sit and be slowly eaten away by the bank fees in hopes that I'll be eligible for another HSA health plan in the near future?

Cold Warrior
Sep 26, 2007, 09:36 AM

10% is only $25 at this point. In a year the bank will have taken $24, at which point the 10% penalty would be $22.60 (should you wait and cash out in a year, for example).

If you feel your current job is stable, and that you'll be there at least a year, I'd cash out and just put it in your IRA or 401k. Maybe there's a loophole for the penalty if an employer doesn't offer an HSA, or you can write it off on your taxes. Don't know.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2007, 10:05 AM

Cant you just use it for health care purposes, medications, etc etc tax free? We are offered a HSA but I don't take advantage or know much about it.

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
....My new employer does not offer an HSA qualified health plan so I can't use the money in the account without tax penalty. I would just leave it in, but the stupid bank takes $2 a month as a maintenance fee....
You can't use it at ALL without penalty? Or you just can't use it for other purpose (than intended) without penalty? I always thought its a use it or lose it thing (if I'm understanding HSA as the flexible spending or cafeteria plan type of stuff)...

If I don't have the wrong idea - my suggestion would be to get a list of the approved items.. and stock up. We did that last year as my company gives me a $20 credit per pay period if I don't use their medical insurance (I'm on my wife's)... so we had almost $200 to blow by April of this year. I probably have enough band-aids, gauze pads, first aid kits, ibuprofen, and pre-natal vitamins to last me a lifetime....

Forum Links
Forum Rules