Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Macbooks?

New Macbooks? (Page 2)
Smillz
Oct 30, 2007, 01:44 PM

Well no update today

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 02:59 PM

Welp no go for today, let's hope for next Tuesday.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 05:11 PM

Next Tuesday's OK, but the 13th is already reserved for new MPs.

turnedge762
Oct 30, 2007, 11:54 PM

It makes sense that it wasn't today. That gives Leopard the Apple front page for another week. I'm crossing my fingers for next week.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2007, 08:13 AM

If they're releasing a new case design, I'm willing to bet they'll keep it for the MacWorld Stevenote. Especially if it's the much-rumored "SlimBook".

On the other hand, I've just been offered a replacement for my thrice-repaired 1st Gen MacBook, with the latest model, so Sod's Law dictates there will be a refresh in the next few weeks.

demonic_bunny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 02:45 AM

dammit...and me just ordering a Macbook yesterday...

This brings back memories of summer '05 (I believe). After reading a positive review in Mac Addict, I purchase an eMac, only to have it be discontinued a few weeks later.

Steve, why do you make my Mac purchases so painful?
Mac:
15" Powerbook G4 1.33 GHz, 512 RAM
Next Purchase:
If all goes well, a Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro by next year...if not...iMac...
Aluminum Macbook, whenever those come out
iPod:
16 GB iPod touch, 30 GB iPod 5G, 8 GB iPod nano 2G
Next Purchase:
32 GB iPhone, whenever that comes out...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by demonic_bunny View Post
dammit...and me just ordering a Macbook yesterday...
Don't worry. As long as the update happens within 14 days of your purchase you're covered.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 05:37 AM

This just in: Mac Rumors: Boxes of MacBooks Arrive at Apple Stores

(could of course also just be MBs that now come with Leopard pre-installed)

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2007, 05:58 AM

From Mac Rumors:
Apple Updates MacBooks to Santa Rosa, GMA X3100; 2.6GHz MacBook Pro

As rumored, Apple has quietly updated the MacBook tonight to the Santa Rosa architecture with mild speed bumps and the GMA X3100 integrated video.

White 13.3"
$1099.00 2.0GHz/1GB RAM/80GB/Combo/GMA X3100
$1299.00 2.2GHz/1GB RAM/120GB/SD-DL/GMA X3100

Black 13.3"
$1499.00 2.2GHz/1GB RAM/160GB/SD-DL/GMA X3100

Despite comparable clock speeds (2.0 -> 2.0GHz, 2.16 -> 2.2GHz) to the old models, the new MacBooks use the Santa Rosa chipset which boasts a faster 800MHz front side bus over the previous MacBook models. The introduction of the GMA X3100 video card also provides significant benefits over the previous models. The new specs can be seen at the Apple Store:

Apple's product pages on the rest of the site had not yet been updated at the time of this writing. The new MacBooks appeared in Apple Retail stores on Wednesday, but the boxes were accompanied by instructions not to open them until further notice.

Updatex2: Apple's store pulled the new specs, and now is showing them again.

Update 3: The MacBook Pro now has the option to upgrade to a 2.6GHz processor for $250.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by MacRumors.com
...the new MacBooks use the Santa Rosa chipset...
Santa Rosa chipset ? They still haven't got it.

Other than that, nice update. Could have come earlier, but I guess better late than never. I'm anxious to see some real world benchmarks on OS X between the 950, X3100, and the MBP's 8600M GT.

The Merom XE option on the MBP is nice too. Too bad I already got my 2.4 GHz MBP.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 08:13 AM

I guess I'll be buying a MacBook soon then

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Same. I was always dead set on the low-end $1099 MacBook, but something about having a DVD Burner and 200 extra MHz seems worth it.

Though do I wait for a TRUE update (maybe I was expecting more, but it is a speed bump, new GPU and faster FSB).

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 09:13 AM

OMG it's not Santa Rosa. They got upgraded to the Crestline chipset, but Santa Rosa specifically refers to the chipset+processor+Intel wifi card.

I wish at least one news site writing about this would get it straight. I'm actually a little surprised that Intel's not keeping a tighter watch on their branding and making people correct it.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ShawnDC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 09:37 AM

Excellent! Now I can buy the black MacBook that I've been coveting for so long. Now the question is, since I've waited this long, do I buy one this weekend or wait a few more weeks and potentially save $100 on Black Friday?

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2007, 10:24 AM

$1,299 us "=" $1,449 cad is an insult. They could have at least made it close. Are there any US retailers who will ship a Macbook to Canada, and will Apple honour the warranty?

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 10:40 AM

Finally!

Today is finally the day I replace my well-aged and trusty Ti-Book Rev. A 500Mhz G4. It served me well for the past 6 and a half years, but now it's time to move on..

The revision was just the bump I was waiting for vs. the previous incarnation - a bit faster, better graphics, and a bigger hard drive available without having to compromise on rpm.

I ordered my black/2G ram/250GB this morning, and should get it next week. I considered waiting for one of the local apple stores to get them in (as of this morning 5th Avenue here in NYC didn't have any) but figured the chances of them having exactly the configuration I wanted were slim enough that'd I'd be better off ordering anyway.

Yahoo! First new mac in YEARS!
cpac

demonic_bunny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by cpac View Post
Finally!

Today is finally the day I replace my well-aged and trusty Ti-Book Rev. A 500Mhz G4. It served me well for the past 6 and a half years, but now it's time to move on..

The revision was just the bump I was waiting for vs. the previous incarnation - a bit faster, better graphics, and a bigger hard drive available without having to compromise on rpm.

I ordered my black/2G ram/250GB this morning, and should get it next week. I considered waiting for one of the local apple stores to get them in (as of this morning 5th Avenue here in NYC didn't have any) but figured the chances of them having exactly the configuration I wanted were slim enough that'd I'd be better off ordering anyway.

Yahoo! First new mac in YEARS!
Damn...500 MHz TiBook? What were you using it for? My Al Book chugs along at times when I'm GIMPin / using Blender...cant imagine doin that stuff on a TiBook
Mac:
Next Purchase:
iPod:
Next Purchase:

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2007, 01:30 PM

A long awaited update, no doubt. But is anyone else disappointed that we've gotten yet another under-the-hood tweak and no refresh in terms of design?

I actually love the current MacBook design, but I have to admit I would still love to see it streamlined and maybe made a little sleeker and lighter. If they're going to update it, why not do the whole damn thing over inside and out?

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2007, 02:25 PM

I have a predicament now.

Do I exchange my 5-day old MacBook for the new version and pay the 10% restocking fee? In a nutshell is this hardware refresh worth $150 over the old hardware?

decisions, decisions.

plamparello
Nov 1, 2007, 02:32 PM

New Macbooks also have the updated function keys similar to the new keyboard... check out the pictures.
plamparello

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scarpa View Post

Do I exchange my 5-day old MacBook for the new version and pay the 10% restocking fee? In a nutshell is this hardware refresh worth $150 over the old hardware?

decisions, decisions.
You shouldn't have to pay the restocking fee if it's been 5 days. Apple has a 10 (or is it 14) day policy regarding new hardware.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 02:56 PM

Talk about anti-climatic.

I was really hoping for something more substantial. Oh well.

This has to be a stop gap for the real update. Something to shut people up for a few months.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2007, 03:10 PM

I think the biggest thing that this points out is that a new and trully new Mac Book is a while off. Why would they put a completely better chipset in it? They didn't do it so they can come out with a completely new MacBook in 4 months. The new MacBook should have had this chipset, and so either there is a new chipset coming or the new Aluminum MacBook is further off than anticipated. Although, it is clear tht the chipset can be upped to 2.6GHz so perhaps the new MacBook will have a faster version of the SR chipset. Yet, i see no reason to upgrade from my current 2.16GHz model. Aluminum and the SR chipset and I would have been on board.

I think a new MacBookPro will come out in 4 months and expect a new MacBook in maybe 6-8 months. I support this notion with the rather dismal updates that the MacBookPro saw.

Thoughts, anybody?

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by demonic_bunny View Post
Damn...500 MHz TiBook? What were you using it for? My Al Book chugs along at times when I'm GIMPin / using Blender...cant imagine doin that stuff on a TiBook
Not as much since I finished law school. Basically I used it for Mail, web browsing (Omniweb, Camino, Safari), Acquisition, iTunes, iBank, running the remote access program (in X11) to get on at work, occasional word processing, iPhoto, etc.

It was slow, but actually not that bad. Really though, the hard disk had filled up long ago, and parts were starting to get corrupted (fsck -y resulted in errors that could not be fixed), and the "Q" key had finally jumped off the keyboard permanently.

It'll be nice to (1) not have to connect an external drive to load my music, (2) not have to connect an external burner to burn a CD, (3) be able to use cover flow and see some of the cooler graphics in dashboard,....

Basically it's nice when you wait this long to upgrade because it will be a whole new world of fun and convenience.
cpac

not_too_shabby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 04:23 PM

Just ordered mine. I got the $1299 version with the bigger hard drive special ordered. What's up with that stupid black tax though. I figured they would have gotten rid of that by now. I was going to buy one back in April but figured I hold on till Leopard was finally released. Glad I waited a few more days to get the speed bump as well. I think apple will find they have a lot of pent up demand for machines now that they are shipping with leopard. My last computer was right after panther came out. My 800 MHz ibook. For a four year old computer my ibook is still very good for everything I do except importing movies to watch on my apple TV and doing imovies.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2007, 04:33 PM

You shouldn't have to pay the restocking fee if it's been 5 days. Apple has a 10 (or is it 14) day policy regarding new hardware.
Is this documented somewhere? I called the Apple store I bought from and they told me it'd have a restocking fee.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Nov 1, 2007, 05:13 PM

For everyone that expected something more substantial:

A case redesign isn't likely until the Late 2008 revision. Why? The MacBook is Apple's newest case design (the current iMac design is really just an aluminum-based refresh). No one's complaining about the MacBook Pro's or the Mac Pro's case designs. Why are you griping that the MacBook still looks the same?

Crestline was the most likely update to happen. And it happened. What more do you honestly expect?
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 05:45 PM

Me too. I am currently doing a Happy Dance!

Flagheimer
Nov 1, 2007, 06:02 PM

decisions, decisions.
Hmm... I'm in the same boat as well. I bought my MacBook on the 24th and had exchange it twice because of them being defective... Now I just got this one a few days back.

Smillz
Nov 1, 2007, 06:09 PM

Yay! Well this just made my day

Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 06:34 PM

I'd just like to point out that MacBooks have never had a redesign. In fact ,they are basically the same as the white iBooks. Just a bit slimmer. So I'd say this is a fairly substantial update.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 07:19 PM

decisions, decisions.
Yes. 6 month old graphics card vs 2 year old.

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Talk about anti-climatic.

I was really hoping for something more substantial. Oh well.

This has to be a stop gap for the real update. Something to shut people up for a few months.
The 'refresh' in May was a stopgap for a real update; this was the real update. What were you expecting? 2GB RAM?

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I'd just like to point out that MacBooks have never had a redesign. In fact ,they are basically the same as the white iBooks. Just a bit slimmer. So I'd say this is a fairly substantial update.
Not really. They have a different screen size and a completely different internal structure than the iBooks. The MacBooks also look way better with the all matte inside and glossy outside, compared to the iBook's mixed frame. Compared to the PB->MBP update, I'd say that the MacBook was quite a difference from the iBooks.

turnedge762
Nov 1, 2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
Not really. They have a different screen size and a completely different internal structure than the iBooks. The MacBooks also look way better with the all matte inside and glossy outside, compared to the iBook's mixed frame. Compared to the PB->MBP update, I'd say that the MacBook was quite a difference from the iBooks.
Yeah, I agree. The iBooks looked chunky IMHO, and the MacBooks look sleek. (I would like an update to aluminum though)

demonic_bunny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 01:10 AM

Oh man am I relieved. I called about my Macbook today concerning the update and they said it hasn't been shipped yet, so they'll hold my order until they can get me a new one.

Gotta love Powermax...Crestline and x3100 ftw! (well...as win as intel intergrated graphics can be...xD)
Mac:
Next Purchase:
iPod:
Next Purchase:

demonic_bunny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by cpac View Post
Not as much since I finished law school. Basically I used it for Mail, web browsing (Omniweb, Camino, Safari), Acquisition, iTunes, iBank, running the remote access program (in X11) to get on at work, occasional word processing, iPhoto, etc.

It was slow, but actually not that bad. Really though, the hard disk had filled up long ago, and parts were starting to get corrupted (fsck -y resulted in errors that could not be fixed), and the "Q" key had finally jumped off the keyboard permanently.

It'll be nice to (1) not have to connect an external drive to load my music, (2) not have to connect an external burner to burn a CD, (3) be able to use cover flow and see some of the cooler graphics in dashboard,....

Basically it's nice when you wait this long to upgrade because it will be a whole new world of fun and convenience.
haha the fact that you're still using that thing today is a testament to the staying power of Apples machines imo. I'll probably be usin my Macbook just as long.

And you got a point about the fun with an overdue update. I'm sure you've used it before, but trust me, Cover Flow on your machine for the first time is awesome xD
Mac:
Next Purchase:
iPod:
Next Purchase:

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2007, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
They have a different screen size and a completely different internal structure than the iBooks. The MacBooks also look way better with the all matte inside and glossy outside, compared to the iBook's mixed frame. Compared to the PB->MBP update, I'd say that the MacBook was quite a difference from the iBooks.
And yet it's very easy to confuse a MacBook and an iBook looking at one from the back of the screen. Sure, the MacBook was redesigned, but because it had to be, considering the screen size change.

But I think what people are referring to is that it isn't a radical departure from the previous iBook design. Not like, for example, the fruity iBooks to the white ones, or the PowerBook G3 to the PowerBook G4.

Personally, I'd like to see a little color in the MacBook line, but maybe that's just me. I think this was a great update and that the MacBook is just fine specs-wise, except for the objectionable integrated graphics. That may change, though, if integrated graphics start matching the capabilities and power of genuine low-end or low-mid-range graphics cards.

I'm eager to see graphics capability comparisons for the new MacBooks, and see whether they can run the new EA games or not.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Nov 2, 2007 at 04:47 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The 'refresh' in May was a stopgap for a real update; this was the real update.
Spot on! This was the real update people. As long as the MBP doesn't go Penryn/Cantiga, this is about as good as it's going to get. $1099 for a 2 GHz Merom on Crestline in the sleek MB enclosure is not a bad deal. It's no wonder Apple has been selling MBs like crazy and with this update that will certainly continue.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2007, 12:19 PM

crap dang!!!! and I just barely got my macbook not 3 months ago!! Is there anyway I can trade it in to apple, and get a new one for a small sum?? The intel gma 950 video card I have sucks!! Is the new one significantly better?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
crap dang!!!! and I just barely got my macbook not 3 months ago!! Is there anyway I can trade it in to apple, and get a new one for a small sum?? The intel gma 950 video card I have sucks!! Is the new one significantly better?
Umm, you've had it for 3 months, so no.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2007, 12:31 PM

damn!!! this sucks!!! I'm pulling my hair out of my head in anger and distress!! And I see from the apple web site that the new card has 144MB!!!! arrghh!! is there anything I can do?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 12:39 PM

damn!!! this sucks!!! I'm pulling my hair out of my head in anger and distress!! And I see from the apple web site that the new card has 144MB!!!! arrghh!! is there anything I can do?
No, updates come all the time. This happens to anyone. Would you have rather it happened 3 weeks after you bought it instead of 3 months?

Also this is not a card. It's integrated graphics. It uses 144 MB of the system RAM, yours uses a total of 80 MB. The graphics system is not a huge update over yours, and will not affect game performance in a large amount.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2007, 01:05 PM

vtboyarc:

This for real? If Apple gave discounts for trading up from systems bought three months ago, it would go bankrupt. Three months is almost always mid-cycle and well past the point where Apple can justify any kind of reimbursement. Updates happen at least twice a year.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 02:53 PM

decisions, decisions.
You're withing Apple's return policy, depending (natch) on where you got it--namely you're subject to that store's return policy. So you may have to jump through some hoops, if you didn't get it directly from apple.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 03:32 PM

Wow it is a lackluster update, I am still shocked by it...

Other than OS X, I am struggling to see how these are even in the same ballpark as the competition spec/price wise

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 03:40 PM

Well, a $10,14 Dell Inspiron Notebook has a 14" screen (same res as macbook's 13"), a 1.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Much worse), 1 GB RAM (same as MacBook), Vista, No built in camera.

So I'd say the MacBook trumps that.

EDIT: I configured a Dell Inspiron to the almost exact same specs as the $1099 MacBook. It came out to $1307.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Well, a $10,14 Dell Inspiron Notebook has a 14" screen (same res as macbook's 13"), a 1.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Much worse), 1 GB RAM (same as MacBook), Vista, No built in camera.

So I'd say the MacBook trumps that.

EDIT: I configured a Dell Inspiron to the almost exact same specs as the $1099 MacBook. It came out to $1307.
Take a look at the Acer Aspire 5920 (even the 5720) lines, and the Sony Vaio FZ series... It is shocking the MacBook doesn't have a 8400 chip in there, and at least 2gig RAM, let alone more than an 80gig HDD for the price Apple are asking... It really is way, way behind the tech curve at this time.

You can get a Dell better than the Macbook in every way apart from the processor speed for cheaper or the same money if you spec it right... and I'd take say a 1.8 machine with 160gig HDD, 2 Gig ram, better graphics, you name it, over the current Macbook for the same cash.

This update really was a let down.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Also this is not a card. It's integrated graphics. It uses 144 MB of the system RAM, yours uses a total of 80 MB. The graphics system is not a huge update over yours, and will not affect game performance in a large amount.
The X3100 has hardware texture and lighting. This should lead to a very significant improvement over the GMA950.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
Wow it is a lackluster update, I am still shocked by it...

Other than OS X, I am struggling to see how these are even in the same ballpark as the competition spec/price wise
It's not meant to be a huge update. It's not even on Apple's main page. Just a nice little speed bump. 4 Gb of RAM is pretty nice too.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2007, 04:58 PM

Gee, I wonder if this new MB will play UT3? Minimum requirements are 2GHz single core with Radeon 9600+. I'm sure the X3100 will match an old chip like the 9600, no?

Forum Links
Forum Rules