Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dealing with inappropriate comments from family...

Dealing with inappropriate comments from family...
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2007, 02:17 AM

So, I grew up in a very small town and have since gone to college and moved to a major city (been here 8+ years). The thing is, when I go home, I now must deal with inappropriate comments from family members. The three key comments are:
- Colored (referencing black people)
- The "N" word (ugh... I know)
- Jew (AKA, being cheap)

I've become particularly sensitive as I dated a Jewish girl and wouldn't think twice about dating an african american...

My question: How do I approach this situation without being a jerk? Has anyone else had to deal with this situation?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2007, 02:38 AM

I don't deal with it when it comes to family members; my grandfather would've kicked someone out of his house for saying any of the three things that you listed, and he passed that distaste for it down to his children.

However, being from the deep South, I do have to deal with it during other situations. With some friends, I can be perfectly honest with them and let them know something was uncalled for. Others I have to be a bit more cautious, making sure to keep it lighthearted enough, but still hinting that it makes them sound ridiculous. For instance, I might say, "Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't know we started the meeting already, let me put on my white robe and hood." It usually gets a laugh, but it subtly gets the point across as well.

With some people, it's so deeply-rooted in their lifestyle that it would do nothing but cause an unwanted and unnecessary scene. I don't know how your family interacts, but I know some families that might respond by drawing attention to you as the "big Washington boy," pulling out the big-city card and trying to make you look pretentious.

It all depends on the dynamics of your family. They might be receptive, and they might not. You just have to feel it out yourself. It's possible you might just have to grit your teeth through the awkward situations.

Or you could just purposefully look for a black girlfriend to bring home for the holidays. That wouldn't be as subtle, but I think they'd hold off on some of the comments, at least.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 04:22 AM

I'd just smile and nod. No reason to take things so seriously, if you ask me.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 05:21 AM

I try and hope it passes fast. And if it is persistent, I normally say something to the effect of telling them to be polite. I don't ever want to get into a debate on the subject, just want them to respect others views, and not be so offensive.

-Owl

red rocket
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 06:55 AM

You're being overly sensitive, in my opinion.

I've dated both Jewish and black girls, and I'm not offended by those ‘inappropriate’ (i.e. non‑PC) words.

Personally, I'd rather have some potentially offensive cultural diversity than trying to lecture everybody into adopting some arbitrary politically correct vocabulary.

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2007, 10:10 AM

I encounter the same stuff as you, and can sympathize. I ignore it — just sort of stare off into space or down at the table until it passes. They're old (80+), and while that doesn't excuse it, it helps no one during the holidays to pick a fight with old folks, when the entire family is just trying to enjoy the holidays. So the rest of the family just lets it pass in silence, without comment, then changes the subject.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 11:44 AM

I work with somebody who frequently refers to Jews as being a: shrewd, b: cheap and c: always out to pull you over the table. It really is very distasteful, but he's a partner so there's not all that much I can do without causing potentially huge problems.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 12:05 PM

I also used to work with somebody who frequently referred to Jews as being shrewd, cheap and always out to pull you over the table. But she was a Jew, so I wasn't really in a position to argue with her bragging.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Tiresias
Dec 25, 2007, 12:22 PM

You should say something, but in an off-hand way. Try and make a joke out of it, if you can.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I also used to work with somebody who frequently referred to Jews as being shrewd, cheap and always out to pull you over the table. But she was a Jew, so I wasn't really in a position to argue with her bragging.

As far as I'm concerned, it's pointless to be offended on behalf of other people. For that matter, I think it's pointless to get offended over things that are about me also, unless I'm sure that the comment is mean-spirited. People are too easily offended these days.

I especially give deference to older relatives, since they simply grew up in a different time. But we do have the right to politely ignore them when they're going off the tracks.

I actually thought that we were going to have problems with some older relatives at my wedding, where among the wedding party was my best friend from grade school (who is not white like they're used to), and one of my best friends from high school (who is not quite heterosexual like they're used to). Luckily, these relatives were the type I am used to, where the open bar helped the situation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 12:33 PM

I tell them off, if it's close family. If they get pissed off and want to leave, so be it. No skin off my back.

If it isn't close family though, I keep my mouth shut.

pooka
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 01:48 PM

When I read the subject line, it really brought back some painful memories. I remember family gatherings where my uncles would hang around and make cat calls as I walked by...

"Whooo.. Mmmmummm, boy! You are looking goooooood tonight. Which one of us gets to tuck you in?"

Granted, I was 24 when this happened. Doesn't make it any easier.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2007, 02:14 PM

Interesting points... I think I'll simply comment about it in a subtle way. Some of these people aren't old... they are in their 20s-30s and should know better. I don't think they actually know what they are saying, as they never interact with african american or jewish people, but I'm noticing that they are passing it along to their kids, and that's just sad.

I don't think I'm being overly sensitive... it would be one thing if it was an off color joke or something, but what they are saying is flat out racist.

NOTE: I grew up thinking that saying "colored" was OK... I wasn't corrected until I went to college

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2007, 02:19 PM

Considering the indicated age, I'd personally go for reading them the riot act... but then again, I live in Boston, where any of the aforementioned terms would result in "interesting times" for the speaker.

And if anyone used the last one in my hearing, my fangs would come out (I'm Jewish).

Then again, you could just find a black, Jewish girlfriend with a nasty temper...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows View Post
Then again, you could just find a black, Jewish girlfriend with a nasty temper...
Perfect!

My wife's parents have mentioned their distaste for homosexuals severals times... until my brother-in-law decided to come out of the closet. They don't really bring it up any more.

They also said the same things about Jews... until their daughter married and became one

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 03:01 PM

I ignore it. You probably can't change family ignorance, so it just causes problems (and usually a scene)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I ignore it. You probably can't change family ignorance, so it just causes problems (and usually a scene)
That's OK. Just because they're family, doesn't mean I have to tolerate them.

At least with non-family, I know I only have to tolerate them for a few hours. With family, they're a recurring event, so you may as well voice your displeasure early. Then maybe they'll STFU.

Actually, it works with non-family as well, but I tend to be more selective. My friend's wife made some pretty nasty remarks about gays, and I just said that my neighbours were a gay couple and I respect and trust them way more than most people I've met. She never mentioned it again.

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
My wife's parents have mentioned their distaste for homosexuals severals times... until my brother-in-law decided to come out of the closet. They don't really bring it up any more.
Aweseome. You mean their son? Perfect.

They also said the same things about Jews... until their daughter married and became one
Also perfect.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 25, 2007 at 03:33 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 03:29 PM

I learned to just walk away. Before long they got the hint that those types of comments irritated me.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 03:40 PM

I have family members that have made ignorant comments about Jews.
I have family members that have made ignorant comments about Japanese.
I have family members that have made ignorant comments about blacks.

I've dated a Jewish woman, and a Japanese woman. I always regret the fact I never had the chance on dating a black woman though.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows View Post
Considering the indicated age, I'd personally go for reading them the riot act... but then again, I live in Boston, where any of the aforementioned terms would result in "interesting times" for the speaker.
You're not actually from Boston, are you? Just go to school here? Common wisdom, especially among blacks, is that Boston is not a very tolerant or diverse city. On and around the various campuses, things are different, but the actual Bostonians are often not the most accepting of those who are different. Historically, Boston has a reputation for being a racist city.

Personally, I blame the puritans, as with most of the problems of our fair commonwealth...

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
The thing is, I think I can bring it up without being obnoxious about it. I'm going to test the waters and report back in a few months. My brother is expecting a child, and I'm going to mention to him that everything he says will be mimicked by his child... and that he will pass along his inappropriate comments. I would be BBQed if I said ANYTHING like what I hear on a regular basis from my family. It's embarrassing at times.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 01:26 AM

Funny this thread came up. My brother in law started with his usual racist crap at dinner tonight. All the usual stereotypical crap about "blacks can't bring themselves out of poverty" and "indians are taking over the country and can't even speak english". I guess it finally got to me (being in a mixed marriage myself) and I just blurted out .... "apparently ignorance among southern rednecks is on the rise too." Not sure if he heard me or understood me. He left a few minutes later though. Dinner was much more peaceful after that. Now if I can just get my sister to tone down her mouth ....
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 10:29 AM

I take offense at the idea that all ignorant rednecks are southern. Millions of them in the north too.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
I take offense at the idea that all ignorant rednecks are southern. Millions of them in the north too.
Agreed 100%. But he was southern ...
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 11:45 AM

You're being intolerant of their beliefs.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
So, I grew up in a very small town and have since gone to college and moved to a major city (been here 8+ years).
Aren't you essentially doing the same thing they are? You're stereotyping small town folks as bigoted and ignorant. In your statement, "very small town" becomes a pejorative.

Regardless, I think that you can simply let them know that you'd prefer that they not use those words. Don't say anything about them being offensive or inappropriate. Simply say that you would appreciate it if they not say them. They'll get the point without being offended or feeling ashamed. Most people will try to stop because they are courteous. Don't keep reminding them about it - it's hard to break habits, and my guess is that they'll notice themselves saying it and it will taper off.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
True enough. We even have them in Canada.

Rumor
Dec 26, 2007, 04:16 PM

I got spanked for playing with black kids by my grandmother. I grew up not to far from where Jawbone lives. I don't really keep in contact with a lot of my southern family for these types of reasons.

My family here in Cal. Well, we're offensive but not racist.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 04:26 PM

It might be amusing to call the redneck the 'n' word and see what ensues.

Obviously, I'm not very bright.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2007, 04:50 PM

When I worked at a warehouse, we got a new temp worker who was assigned to package stuff in my section got pretty explicitly racist.

I called him on it in front of the crew.

A little later, over in my section, he asked me about it, and blablabla. I told him I'd lived abroad for long enough not to have to listen to his crap, at which point he asked me, somewhat incredulously, whether I was one of them foreigner-friends?

I was a little flabbergasted. I took a good look at him and said, "Say - those eyebrows, and the dark hair, and those eyes...I think you look kind of Slavic, you know?"

He was so flustered that he couldn't think of anything smarter than to splutter about a bit and then draw himself up to full height and proclaim that we'd just have to look at the Führer to see what a German should look like!

Nailed him.

After I stopped laughing, I went straight to the chief to give him a brief summary of the situation, and quoted our exchange.

After *he* stopped laughing, he called in the foreman and told him as well.

The guy was gone the next day, and was blacklisted at the temp firm.

One of very few occasions where I felt I responded with *exactly* the quip the situation called for.

AngelaBaby
Dec 26, 2007, 09:29 PM

You cannot change your family. Your uneasiness is created BY YOU, NOT them. So it's your problem, now deal with it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by AngelaBaby View Post
You cannot change your family. Your uneasiness is created BY YOU, NOT them. So it's your problem, now deal with it.
You cannot change your family, but you can tell them to STFU.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2007, 10:05 PM

If it bothers you (and it'd certainly bother me if I were in your situation), then I'd tell them why some of the things they say bother you. Not in an offensive way but in a clear, logical, non-confrontational manner. I'd not even start a discussion but rather make it clear that I take offense in remarks that are discriminating against people who just happen to be different genetically.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

Cipher13
Dec 27, 2007, 12:03 AM

Honestly, I don't think you should worry about being rude when your family is acting like that.

davedecay
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2007, 12:22 AM

We are all "colored" to some extent, even albinos.

I find the sensitivity to that word to be silly.
The NAACP still has "colored" as part of its title - you can't have it both ways.

As for those other words, you can try to handle them in a way that doesn't cause family rifts and embarrassing blowups.
There is a time & place for them (see: Chris Rock & Sarah Silverman), but how they are used is another matter.

Words only have as much power as you grant them. Seriously.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by davedecay View Post
We are all "colored" to some extent, even albinos.

I know I was once verbally beaten up to a jelly for having used the word "coloured" in a US centric music forum.
The funny thing is, the terminus here is not an insult (this may vary here too, depending on where you live). To refer to someone who is black or a mulatte as "coloured" is a perfectly ordinary word used in a perfectly proper context in my opinion. At least this holds true in my environment. Mind you, I am a mulatte (half white, half black and have a Jewish background).

Hmmm ... Now that I think of it, I'd be the perfect girlfriend for a guy with a sexist, racist and anti-semite family, eh? The only thing missing is homsexuality. Ah well. You can't have everything.

I always refer to myself either as a mulatte or coloured or - when I'm in a fluffy kind of mood - cafe melange. I see no issue with it but understand that the etiquette varies within different cultures, obviously, so I try to remember where I can use a set of words without having my spine broken in five different places and where it is ethically fine to use them.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2007, 01:31 AM

Never discuss Religion or Politics at family gatherings. Period. Things will be said that can alter the future of man kind.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Dec 27, 2007, 03:13 AM

Write a letter that details your feelings and hang it in the refrigerator.

That will get their attention and they'll be sure to read it.

End of the problem? I hope.

Good luck.

Cipher13
Dec 27, 2007, 04:12 AM

A letter? To the family? Are you kidding?

AngelaBaby
Dec 27, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
They'll still act the same

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 11:39 PM

How would you know that?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How would you know that?
I would agree with him .... from experience.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2007, 01:27 AM

Actually, some will actually keep their mouths shut.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by davedecay View Post
The NAACP still has "colored" as part of its title - you can't have it both ways.
Hmmm, "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People"

Isn't that interesting.
You really can't have it both ways, same goes for the 'n' word as well imo - at least judging from comedians, and kids on the subway whilst referring to each other. (though I use neither and never had the need to, but always wanted to for the fun of it .)
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Hmmm, "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People"

Isn't that interesting.
You really can't have it both ways, same goes for the 'n' word as well imo - at least judging from comedians, and kids on the subway whilst referring to each other. (though I use neither and never had the need to, but always wanted to for the fun of it .)
My opinion is you can say whatever you want. However, don't complain if your ass gets kicked for doing so.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
My opinion is you can say whatever you want. However, don't complain if your ass gets kicked for doing so.
My ass kicked? I think not.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules