Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > WD My Book external hard drive + Memeo LifeAgent. Errm... now what?

WD My Book external hard drive + Memeo LifeAgent. Errm... now what?
yohei72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 08:23 AM

My Mac: Mini, G4, OS 10.4. Me: Inexpert level, non-computer savvy.

Yesterday I finally bought an external hard drive - Western Digital My Book "Essential Edition," USB 2.0, 160GB. It's sort of overkill, arguably: I have a 75GB drive, and I'm only using 7GB of it so far. But I wanted to back up my many word documents (I'm a writer, sometimes), family & friend photos, and my MS Entourage with thousands of emails that I store as a sort of lazy man's diary. And it's room to grow.

I'm not too impressed with the documentation included... when did instruction manuals start to be considered optional? There's just a 7-page PDF showing how to set up. They instruct you to install Memeo LifeAgent, which once it's installed turns out to be a free 30 day trial for something you have to pay for subsequently.

But anyway, I created a Backup Plan in LifeAgent - naively, maybe, I just told it, "Oh, back up the whole hard drive." and started it running last night. It's now 19% done and is telling me it'll take another 24 hours to finish. Uh...

Given my simple needs, can't I just drag and drop stuff I want to back up into the My Book drive? And save myself time, perplexity and the cost of buying LifeAgent. I'm pretty annoyed that so far I can't find anything with the My Book that just explains step by step, "Here's how you use this thing." So how do I use this thing?

Thanks, folks.

gatorlady
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2008, 01:28 PM

I have the EXACT same question. Did you ever get an answer? I am trying to use the "included" software (that is only a trial) and I would really like to just drag and drop. Any help would be helpful!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2008, 01:37 PM

You can just copy and paste (drag and drop) the files you want to back up onto the USB drive.

You can also use something like this or this to synchronize folders between your Mini and your USB drive.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2008, 02:48 PM

You can also download the free Silverkeeper for a decent and fairly simple backup tool.

If you really want braindead simple, fully integrated and sexy, you could upgrade to 10.5 Leopard and just use Time Machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules