Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone "Dead Strip"... and what to do now?

iPhone "Dead Strip"... and what to do now?
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2008, 11:17 AM

Hey there,
My first generation, Edge iPhone has a "dead strip." Basically, the horizontal row where the "7" "8" and "9" appear on the "Enter Passcode" screen no longer recognizes any touching. Any at all. Honestly, thank God that my passcode doesn't use any of those numbers... If not I wouldn't even be able to log in.

I first noticed the lack of touch recognition about 2 months ago, but the "dead strip" wasn't as tall as it is now. "Tall" being the height of the strip... it's "width" always encompassed the entire horizontal rule of the iPhone's screen, and still does. I noticed it when scrolling web pages, since when my finger got to the old, less tall strip the web page would stop scrolling (thinking I had lifted my finger, I suppose). It wasn't that bothersome... until the strip just kept getting larger ("taller"). The "dead strip" has kept growing in size.

Now that the strip has grown to a large "dead strip," I can no longer write anything with my iPhone's keyboard. It renders e-mail, web and text useless (not to mention any application, etc. that has input buttons placed in said "dead strip"). I've even tried getting around the e-mail problem with EasyWriter, and have had good results. EasyWriter gives one the ability to craft an e-mail with its application... using a horizontal keyboard. So, unlike with the default iPhone e-mail program where I'm stuck not being able to touch certain letters, EasyWriter allows me to keep rotating the display until the letter I want is in a non-"dead strip" location. It works... but, boy, is it tedious and time consuming. Though EasyWriter still does nothing for web and text input issues. Not EasyWriter's fault, just saying that I can't use it as a work-around to the "dead strip."

I took my iPhone to the Apple store on Chicago's Michigan Avenue last week and all they could say was "out of warranty." My iPhone has zero physical damage, so I'm pretty ticked... but I understand that nothing can be warranted forever. (But I bought mine on launch day, so I personally think that less than 1.5 years is pathetic to not warrant, however.)
  • My question to the forum is this: is there still a market for first generation, Edge iPhones? I thought I'd read that as a resale... they were more preferable than the 3G iPhones.

Thea reason I ask is that since it's "out of warranty" I can either get a refurbished first generation, Edge iPhone for $199 or upgrade to a 3G for $199... though that 3G's phone plan would cost me $15/month more as well (keeping the same wireless/text plan that I have now).

If I go the refurbished, first generation, Edge route (for monthly pricing reasons)... will I be able to resell it at some point in the near future, when I am ready to upgrade to a 3G? Are the first generation, Edge iPhones still selling online for more than the $199 it would cost me?

Or... even better, is there anything which I can make a case for, that would just have Apple swap it out for me? This would be the best route, since I literally have treated this thing gallantly and in a case for its entire existence. So, to me it's bad craftsmanship that has brought this on.

Thanks!
BD

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2008, 03:40 AM

I had the same problem with my iPhone a few months ago. The very bottom of the screen was dead. About 1/4" tall and all the way across This prevented me from using the keyboard's space bar. I took it to my nearby Apple store and had a Genius look at it. After playing around with it for a few minutes he said, "Ok, we can go ahead and replace your phone." He then check the serial # in their system. The warranty on my iPhone had already expired a month earlier (bought it on launch day). Guess I never got around to buy the Applecare iPhone plan... Oops. I asked him how much it would cost to repair the phone. "$200," he said.

"What?! I might as well buy a new iPhone 3G!" I replied. So as I sat there thinking about wether or not to buy a new iPhone 3G, the Genius said, "Hold on, let me research something." He then went into the back room. Five or ten minutes later, he came out and said, "Ok, I just checked our system and it appears this is a known defect with the first batch of iPhones. We can go ahead and replace your phone at no extra charge." He pulled out the SIM card in my old phone and place inside a brand new one (non 3G model). I was stoked! My old phone had a bunch of scratches on the back and the battery wasn't holding a charge like it when it was new.

So if I was you, I'd go back to the Apple Store and try talking to another Genius. You may have better luck this time.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 01:27 PM

Tried a different store, with a different Genius... and they swapped it out. Phew!

rareohs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2008, 02:30 PM

I had the exact same Dead Strip issue appear yesterday. 1st gen iPhone purchased ~ June 2007, no AppleCare, warranty expired. I have a Genius appt in 45min, will post results...

rareohs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2008, 04:58 PM

They replaced it no questions asked.

maddmann5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2008, 09:06 PM

Bought my iphone in July 2007, have had no problems until today....i went to reply to a text message and was unable to type because of a dead strip...tried restoring it and no luck....since it was out of warranty did not think about going to the Apple Store....Did any of your phones have physical damage, because my phone has been a little unlucky and top corners have been a little banged up...

Any damage to your phones?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 7, 2008, 11:03 AM

OK, and now that you had your iPhones replaced under warranty, BUY APPLECARE if you can! First use the serial number checker (on apple.com/support) to see what what the warranty expiration date is in the system. If it's a year from the day you got it replaced just now, it accidentally reset the warranty and you can add AppleCare. (That's what happened with mine.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules