Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Time Machine & Email

Time Machine & Email
Yokohama
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2010, 05:58 PM

I wrongly discarded (not deleted) an unfinished email in Entourage. I had just backed up everything with Time Machine and went to look for it. But couldn't find any emails.
Does TM make a copy of all emails? If so, where do I look for them?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2010, 06:34 PM

One great reason not to use Entourage is that it has One Big File which contains Everything. Messages are not saved as individual files (as they are in Apple's Mail), and thus, cannot be backed up individually by Time Machine.

You can try the following:

Quit Entourage.

Locate your Entourage database.

Move the Entourage database file out of its regular location - say, to the desktop. DO NOT DELETE IT.

Restore the database file from the Time Machine backup from before you deleted the message in question.

Turn off your Airport/unplug your network cable (you don't want new messages downloaded into the old database).

Open Entourage, locate your e-mail and export it, or copy the text to a TextEdit document, a Note, or whatever.

Quit Entourage.

Replace the restored database with the original one (that you moved to the desktop) and restart Entourage.

Yokohama  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2010, 11:04 PM

Spheric--That's quite some procedure. Thanks for going to all the trouble. I'm not sure I'll bother this time (just one email) but I will save this to refer to if I have trouble in the future.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2010, 11:40 AM

Why are you using Entourage? If you are doing so because your company/organization uses Exchange, you might consider Mail. If they are running a fairly current rollup/service pack of Exchange 2007, you can use Apple Mail and iCal. That is, frankly, a far superior solution IMO.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Yokohama  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2010, 07:01 PM

I'm certainly no fanatic about Entourage but I do like its integrated Project Management software, which I've been using for years. Does Mail provide something better?

Forum Links
Forum Rules