Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone videos won't sync to iPhone. (Yes, you read that right.)

iPhone videos won't sync to iPhone. (Yes, you read that right.)
BLKessler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2011, 12:05 AM

After taking videos with my iPhone and syncing them into my computer, I am then unable to sync them back into the iPhone or my iPad. For the life of me, I can't figure out why.

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1, both running iOS 5.0.1. I sync them both with my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6.8) via iTunes 10.5 (141). My photo library is managed by iPhoto '11 (v 9.2.1).

(1) I shot some video with my iPhone 4. No problem; playback on the phone is nice.

(2) I synced the phone to my MBP and the photos were properly imported into iPhoto. As always, I chose to delete the videos from the iPhone after the successful import. Just to confirm everything, I checked and can play the videos with no problem by double-clicking them in iPhoto.

(3) Making sure that my iPhone is connected, I confirmed that the "Photos" tab within iTunes. I have confirmed that "Sync videos" is enabled. I did the same for my iPad.

(4) I then sync the iPhone, but the videos don't come across. I get an error message that the videos can't be played on this iPhone. The same thing happens with my iPad.

(5) I tried unchecking the "Sync photos," syncing the devices, re-checking the "Sync photos" box again, and then syncing things once more, but the videos still don't come across.

Help, please!

--
Brett
--
Brett L. Kessler

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2011, 11:09 AM

I don't have iOS5, but videos like you're describing go through iTunes, not iPhoto. Maybe there is an easier way, but I just copied a movie out of iPhoto onto my Desktop, copied it into iTunes and then plugged in my iPhone. I selected my iPhone from the sidebar, selected the Movies tab on the top, selected the movie I just imported and clicked Sync and it's now on my phone. It's in the Videos section of iPod (on the iPhone) now. I don't think movies will play in Photos (on the iPhone) other than what you've described above.

Hope that helps. I have a 3Gs running 4.0.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
I don't have iOS5, but videos like you're describing go through iTunes, not iPhoto. Maybe there is an easier way, but I just copied a movie out of iPhoto onto my Desktop, copied it into iTunes and then plugged in my iPhone. I selected my iPhone from the sidebar, selected the Movies tab on the top, selected the movie I just imported and clicked Sync and it's now on my phone. It's in the Videos section of iPod (on the iPhone) now. I don't think movies will play in Photos (on the iPhone) other than what you've described above.

Hope that helps. I have a 3Gs running 4.0.
It's never made sense to me that videos recorded on the iPhone live in Photos and not in Videos.

Forum Links
Forum Rules