Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo Resizer,s 4 Mac,s

Photo Resizer,s 4 Mac,s
Robin Ness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2011, 12:50 AM

Looking 4 a photo resizer that sizes photos down & up .
I am taking photos around 5-7 mgpx, in batches, I need to downsize for storage space & be able to upsize again to original later. Uncomplicated user friendly that maintains the photo quality, for Macbook pro 6.2.
Any suggestions?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2011, 01:14 AM

You can not downsize, and later upsize the downsized pictures w/o loss of quality.

GraphicConverter does batch processing for all kinds of photo manipulation, including size changes.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 11:27 AM

The best he can do is to use a lossless image compression format.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The best he can do is to use a lossless image compression format.
That won't buy him the ability to upsize without distortion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
That won't buy him the ability to upsize without distortion.
I'm sure Big Mac meant to store the ORIGINALS in a lossless-compressed format.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 03:52 PM

I know the user wants user friendly so this is not a recommendation for him, but for the benefit of any others looking to kick the tires on options or people coming here by way of Google, I enjoy using ImageMagick for batch image processing. Batch processing all images in a directory to be no more than 600 pixels wide, for instance:

for i in *; do convert -resize 600x $i $i.resized; done

Thorzdad
Nov 28, 2011, 04:28 PM

What do the stock photo houses use to do their compression? I've purchased tons of images over the years, and they are all pretty small downloads, but they balloon into 100+meg high-rez images when opened in Photoshop.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2011, 09:16 AM

this is what i use; on Mac and Windows. quick and simple. pick a folder and it will resize all the images in it (up or down with any number of variables to do it by (%, pixel, keep ratio or not, etc, etc).

free, of course.

KStudio - Resize!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm sure Big Mac meant to store the ORIGINALS in a lossless-compressed format.
Exactly, thank you. (I didn't know that had to be explicitly mentioned.)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

yohei72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2011, 12:53 AM

ResidentEvil - Thanks for the KStudio Resize suggestion, but despite operating very nicely in most respects, it's presenting me with one major problem: Once the photos are run through it and resized, I can't save rotation changes. In other words, if I open one of the resized photos of, say, a tall building and rotate it from landscape to portrait, and then tell Preview to save the change, it reverts back to the landscape orientation anyway. (I'm running OS 10.4.11, for what it's worth.)

Have you heard of anything like this? Very frustrating, since Resize is just what I'm looking for in every other respect as I try to get several hundred photos ready for sharing online with family and friends.

I might just e-mail the developer, as he gives his e-mail address and asks you to contact him with questions and bug reports.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2011, 09:01 AM

resize creates a new folder with the setting name appended to it. let it do the resizing AND rotating. no need to then open preview and do it there. resize should be creating a folder of your finished output in the same location as the original folder of photos.

as for rotating; remember, it is all in how the camera saved the file originally. portrait in/on your camera isn't necessarily how preview sees it. just look at any FB or flicker site. you will see thousands of sideways photos cause the camera that took it didn't send the right orientation info in the file headers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules