Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad charging at 0.5A and on/off/on problem

iPad charging at 0.5A and on/off/on problem
Head_Unit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2012, 12:17 PM

Hi All:

I understand the iPad really needs 2A to charge, and will charge somewhat from a 1A USB connection.

It's less clear to me (and unspecified at Apple's page) what happens if connected to a 0.5A charger, like from many factory car adaptors.

Obviously that does not supply enough juice to run the iPad and charge the battery. But does it provide any juice at all?
- It would seem to me 0.5A is better than nothing
- If the iPad is OFF, then 0.5A should charge it eventually.

I'm asking because I'm trying this, but I keep getting beeping. I power down the iPad, keep hearing beeps, look at the iPad, and it is awake. What the heck is up with that?

Thanks!

Kensington
Jul 17, 2012, 08:32 AM

You need the right kind of charger. A friend of mine bought one used really cheep once, but the catch was it didn't have the charger. We tried a lower power charger and figured a little power would be better than nothing, but after leaving it on the charger for 2 days it still didn't do anything. We ended up just charging it off of my MacBook until he got the right charger.

Forum Links
Forum Rules