Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bookmarks Disappearing in Safari - HELP!

Bookmarks Disappearing in Safari - HELP!
Ralph Tomaccio
Oct 26, 2014, 07:09 PM

I just set up a new user (1st time having done so) on my 2010 iMac running OS 10.9.5 with Safari 7.1. I imported bookmarks from a Windows XP version of Firefox into Safari and all seemed fine. The bookmarks worked every time without a problem. I then closed Safari and reopened it only to find all the imported bookmarks have disappeared. I tried reimporting three times and each time they disappeared after closing and re-opening Safari. I also installed the Add to Amazon Wish List extension and, that too, disappeared each time.

Also, it will not maintain a Homepage. That disappears as well.

Based on a few replies in another forum apparently there is no reason why the bookmarks should be disappearing, but they still are.

In an attempt to solve this problem, I just tried giving my wife's user account admin privileges, restarted the computer, opened Safari, imported the bookmarks, closed Safari, reopened Safari and, yet again, the bookmarks disappeared.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

User Preferences in my wife's account:

Why is this happening and how do I correct the situation? Your help is most appreciated. Thanks!
( Last edited by Ralph Tomaccio; Oct 27, 2014 at 05:47 PM. )

ibook_steve
Oct 27, 2014, 04:03 PM

This probably doesn't have anything to do with your user account. It probably has to do with your iCloud settings. Are you syncing bookmarks, etc., from the cloud? You may want to go to iCloud.com and sign out of all web browsers using iCloud in the Settings or temporarily disable Safari in iCloud preferences in System Preferences. Import your bookmarks again and then re-enable iCloud.

Oh, and you might want to edit the photos you put in your post since your email address/Apple ID is clearly visible.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Oct 29, 2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
This probably doesn't have anything to do with your user account. It probably has to do with your iCloud settings. Are you syncing bookmarks, etc., from the cloud? You may want to go to iCloud.com and sign out of all web browsers using iCloud in the Settings or temporarily disable Safari in iCloud preferences in System Preferences. Import your bookmarks again and then re-enable iCloud.

Oh, and you might want to edit the photos you put in your post since your email address/Apple ID is clearly visible.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Apparently it has EVERYTHING to do with my user account.

Good News and Bad News:

The bad news is that I still have not been able to find what was causing my issues with Safari and the disappearing Bookmarks.

The good news is that I tried setting up another user account and am NOT experiencing the issue at all. All seems to be working as it should!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2014, 01:29 PM

There is (obviously) something wrong with the first "new" user account you set up that is working in the second one. My thought would be to delete the non-working account and use the one that works.

(I am assuming that your original problem was the new user's bookmarks disappearing, not ALL of them disappearing. If I got that wrong, disregard the above...)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Oct 30, 2014, 09:43 AM

Good News and Bad News - Again:

The bad news is that the problem of disappearing bookmarks returned with the new user account.

The good news is that I bit the bullet and upgraded to Yosemite. When I opened Safari, I didn't even have to import the bookmarks, they simply showed up on their own AND they are not disappearing (yet).

Let's hope it remains that way!

Forum Links
Forum Rules