Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Got new computer and itunes cannot find music

Got new computer and itunes cannot find music
kevs
Mac Elite
May 10, 2016, 01:01 PM

Got the new 27", the migration went great and a week later I try to play my first song in itunes and it says it cannot play because the song cannot be found. I see library there in the itunes folder in the user folder... and I've .... In short: what do I do? Thanks!

andi*pandi
May 10, 2016, 03:20 PM

Does it prompt you to find it? Is the file readable?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2016, 03:34 PM

I navigated to the music folder, new name, in did it's thing and now In my music the files are listed twice, one plays and the duplicate has exclamation, and in my songlist, nothing plays. How do I know the is correct for the library? And what else am I doing wrong? thanks.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2016, 03:45 PM

I gave up trying to use the migration tool when I bought the late 2013 iMac. I moved everything manually to the desktop of the new iMac. I opened iTunes and selected I selected add to library.

Related question: I signed up for Apple Music with family sharing. I ripped one of my wife's CD's that isn't on Music to dump on her iPhone 5S, but iTunes tells me that I have to download it from iTunes in the cloud. The only problem is none of the ripped cd's I have on my iMac show up on her iPhone. They do show on my iPad and my 6S plus. None of the music she has downloaded to her 5S show on the iMac/iPad/6S. Anyone else have this issue?
45/47

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2016, 03:47 PM

Migration was good, but still lost here, thanks if anyone can help.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
I navigated to the music folder, new name, in did it's thing and now In my music the files are listed twice, one plays and the duplicate has exclamation, and in my songlist, nothing plays. How do I know the is correct for the library? And what else am I doing wrong? thanks.
Go to View>Show Duplicate Items. You can then delete duplicates. You need to be careful if you multiple albums from the same artists. I have some greatest hits and had to double check what CD they were from before I deleted them.

Edit: I looked the iTunes help and if you press option you get show exact duplicates. That would have saved me a bit of time
45/47

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2016, 09:09 PM

Chongo, thanks. I don't want to delete if I don't have to because of the issue you just raised.

Is there another way?

Can I change the pointer to a library, cut it off? Start anew? Something instead of deleting things? and having to eyeball what is good or bad! right/ wrong.

reeses
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2016, 10:07 AM

Can you play the song in another program? Like quicktime for example?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2016, 12:50 PM

I opened a case with Apple and solved this with a tech on phone.

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2016, 10:30 AM

what did they end up doing? or showing you how to do?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2016, 06:05 PM

Andi, We shared a screen, about 1/2 hour, and a lot of steps, don't remember it now, but pretty straightforward...trying to remember... had to delete an old preference container about music files/ playlist or something, and then create a new one from scratch, and copy over something into that.. all I can remember right now in the middle of a busy day! Sometimes I take notes, but this one probably was too much for me to take notes that day! Glad I got it done though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules