Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Location Manager crashes?

Location Manager crashes?
BLKessler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2000, 12:16 PM

I've got four different locations set up in the Location Manager. When switching from one to another, everything works great.

However, and this is consistently reproducible, after using the Location Manager's CSM to switch locations, any attempt to click on the menu bar causes the computer to completely freeze after about 5 seconds.

I'm assuming it's some kind of an extension conflict. I've got Conflict Catcher, so I've been debating about using its conflict resolution features, but I figured that I'd be better off not reinventing the wheel if I didn't have to. So. Has anybody else seen this?

------------------
--Brett
--
Brett L. Kessler

AHarper
Jan 23, 2000, 06:58 PM

I suffer the exact same problem, although not apparently as consistently as you describe. Mostly it happens to me if I switch locations after putting the 'book to sleep and waking it.

FWIW it seems to be caused on my machine by Snitch (2.6.5) and Stuffit Magic Menu 5.1.5.

Axel

mkbhatia
Administrator
Jan 24, 2000, 02:03 AM

I have similar problems. The crashes caused by switching locations via the CSM are pretty common. Now that 'AHarper' mentions it, seem to come after the machine has been put to sleep.

I also find that if you are changing TCP/IP configurations (as part of your location manager switch) quitting open TCP/IP applications can help--definitely IE 4.5, which seems to lock up sometimes after an abrupt switch.

I haven't noticed the menu-bar problem though, but I will check and get back to you.

-m

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2000, 10:53 AM

Folks,
There was one bug that I believe Apple has acknowledged in LM, but what you are seeing in some cases is absolutely normal.
If you switch from say an ARA setup and then go to a LAN-based setup using DHCP, the Mac need to get IP services established. That can take from 5-30 seconds depending on the hub/switch/server setup.
I always recommend that clients reboot and select the correct profile from LM at startup, thus avoiding extension conflicts and other oddities. You can make LM display at boot in the preferences.

Scott

AHarper
Jan 24, 2000, 11:52 AM

slboett,

Thanks for the feedback, but I can assure you this is not the normal pause for DHCP services. On my machine this is a hard crash to Macsbug after a null pointer is dereferenced. It is not affected by TCP switches, I can switch between locations that do not change TCP settings and experience the same thing. In fact, after some troubleshooting this weekend I determined that so long as LM switches any location module I crash. Switching between null location sets does not cause a problem.

This is on a machine with no applcations running, and the TCP stack not yet initialized (load only when needed).

Axel

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2000, 03:09 PM

Axel,

Do a seach on the TIL for the last two weeks. I believe Apple posted an acknowledgement of a LM bug that is being addressed.
If you use Apple-only Extensions, does this occur as well? I ask because I can do this on a number of 8.6 and 9 PowerBooks without the crash you are seeing.

Best,
Scott

AHarper
Jan 24, 2000, 04:02 PM

Scott,

I've poked around the TIL a bit and didn't find anything that looked like an acknowledged LM bug... Are you sure you saw it there? Or perhaps on one of the discussion boards?

In response to you second question, no, the problem does not occur with the base OS 9 extension set. It appears to only occur with Snitch and Stuffit Magic Menu both installed (see my earlier post for exact versions). Neither of these gave me any trouble under 8. I have toyed with load order of both with no effect. One or the other can be off and I have no immediate problem.

What I haven't determined yet is if it is actually those packages with a problem or if the two in concert simply exacerbate an actual bug in LM. Without those two I don't have an immediate crash, but I usually crash eventually (of course, it could be something else at that point).

Unfortunately deactivating those extensions is not really my best choice as I literally use both constantly everyday. For now, I'm just living with a restart to change locations.

Thanks

Axel

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2000, 05:26 PM

I love Magic Menu, but alas, it caused too many problems for me so I ditched it (a long time ago). I would disable Snitch as well, LM is more useful than having the others (IMHO).
I looked for the TIL info as well, but I must have seen it somewhere else.

Best,
Scott

mkbhatia
Administrator
Jan 24, 2000, 07:12 PM

this was just posted today:

LM: Editing Remote Access and Modem Configs http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n31165

(this one I found out the hard way, but glad to know that Apple acknowledged the bug)

LM: Time Zone Module Conflicts With Date & Time DST http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n31146

LM: Multiple Users Considerations http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60657

freedom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2000, 09:42 AM

I have the same problem when switching TCP/IP configurations (OS9), but I also notice it if I switch between my home network and diffrent client sites using DHCP. I have noticed that my Mac TCP DNR file is always getting renamed to "

tedgrigg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2000, 12:59 PM

Location Manager has always been buggy on several of my Powerbooks including a G3 266 Wallstreet. With six sets, the preferences corrupt easily as the complexity increases. This was true under OS 8.6 as it is under 9. The only thing that stabilizes the continual crashing is to trash the LM preferences and start over. Make as few corrections as possible, because this precipitates LM prefence corruption. Any set requiring Appletalk changes also tends to prompt crashes. I also observed that the settings under LM often do not hold as they should. It is my belief that Appletalk has its own set up bugs that aggrevate LM problems. Appletalk wants to stay on and requires bypassing the Chooser to turn off by going to the Appletalk control panel's advanced options. But that is another topic.

------------------

The Professor
The Professor

freedom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2000, 09:22 PM

I have removed Location manager form my PB G3 and I am still having the same strange crashing problems. Any other ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules