Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problem with visited links

Problem with visited links
iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2000, 11:49 PM

I noticed this right away today (day 2 with IE5)... links I visited yesterday, including posts in this forum, show as unread even though they are listed in the History window. After 4 hours online today, including restarts, everything I read today is still shown as read. I bet tomorrow they show as unread. Other than this, I haven't found any problems... Great job IE Team!

IE5 - OS 8.6 - Rev. A iMac
IE has 20000 prefered and History set to 500.

------------------
I work, I play, iMac!
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

Linda
Mar 29, 2000, 12:48 PM

iMacMike--

This happened to me too!

I thought I was losing my mind, I posted here but nobody responded, so I thought I must be the only one.

Still doesn't work quite right...on the MacNN boards. Macfixit shows my read posts correctly, though, after two visits.

It was enough of a problem for me that I quit using IE and went back to Netscape...for now.

peace,
Linda

iMacMike  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2000, 05:24 PM

Apparently, IE5 only shows links as read from the current day. This afternoon, links from last night AFTER midnight (03/29/00) are showing as read, but visited links BEFORE midnight (3/28/00) render as unread, eventhough they are listed in the History tab. I've been able to duplicate it at will by changing the system time to 11:50 and browsing, then go back after 12:00 and the links are blue again.

------------------
I work, I play, iMac!
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

SteveWilkinson
Mar 30, 2000, 12:54 PM

I've also had this problem. It was also present in IE v4.5. I reported this problem to MS in a bug report...never heard back....not fixed.

It seems to be 'archiving' the history like mentioned in the above posts. The odd thing is that in IE v4.5, it was 100% after midnight, the links were put in the folder, and all showed 'non-visited'.

In IE v5, it was working for about 2 days, and then some of the links that I had read showed non-read. Then more and more did this, but not 100% of them. That's really strange.

Till this is fixed, I must use Netscape. I do too much work in on-line forums for product Beta testing and product user forums. Bummer.

Other than the above and some script errors on my bank site, its been working pretty well. I'm also having the graphics loading problem on several sites, as noted in other posts.

Hope someone from MS gets on some of these problems. Lots of great features and performance, but bugs like these keep serious users away. Right now its mainly good for generic web surfing...but now professional use.

Thanks,

-Steve
[email protected]

jsteinborn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 11:44 AM

I'm using IE 5.2.2 I believe this problem still exists. Is there a work around?

Forum Links
Forum Rules