Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Honeymoon's over

Honeymoon's over
bood69
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2000, 09:46 PM

Well, it was a fun week or so, but I'm back with my first love, Netscape. A painful reversal of fortune, I know, but IE 5 just grew less and less stable as the days wore on. A pity, too, because its speed and features are second to none, at least on the Mac platform. But stability is a beautiful thing to me, and NS has always been the most stable browser in my experience. IE 5, with its too-frequent crashes and hangs, just isn't ready to be my default b. yet. Maybe some upgrade will be released that fixes my stability issues, but until then its Communicator all the way. Too bad!

ATP Tour Fan
Apr 3, 2000, 10:48 AM

I've had IE5 running CONTINUOUSLY for a week now, ever since I instlaled it. My OS 9 has not crashed either.

I have all the newest OS updates, and use FreePPP and other third party extensions, etc.

I've never had such a stable PowerBook before. One week straight! Damn!

Misha
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2000, 02:30 PM

Sadly I've begun to experience the same problem. IE 5 has frozen my PowerBook about a half dozen times in the last 48 hours, just by doing simple things like entering a URL or clicking a button.

Additionally, the amount of time it takes to load some pages has gotten longer. IE 5 takes over all processes for 3-10 seconds and doesn't let me do anything while it finishes loading the page.

Mike L
Apr 3, 2000, 02:44 PM

I really like Explorer 5 though after initially having no problems with it, now I'm having lots of little annoying problems i.e. browser automatically connecting even though preferences/schedules set otherwise and/or not connecting at all when the browser is set to connect upon opening explorer etc... I'll give it a week to work out the glitches otherwise it's back to Netscape 4.7 as my default browser.

iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2000, 03:53 PM

IE5 has some really nice features that place it above Netscape. I love the ability to file Favorites on the fly and the Page Holder is a great idea, but it seldom works correctly. The main issues for me though are usability and stability. Despite being "the most compliant browser available", IE butchers most pages to the point where they are unreadable. Netscape may not be compliant, but it renders pages in a readable manner and it doesn't crash or take my whole iMac down with it. Netscape is also more memory friendly too, as it will run all day and not exceed the 32000 I've set aside for it. Netscape also co-exists pretty well with anything else I want to run, including Office 98. 32000 buys me a browser, email, newsgroups, and a web editor. IE eats 20000+, OE eats 6500 minimum, then add another 5000 for MT Newswatcher, and 6200 for Adobe PageMill... thats 37700 right there and I've made the system unstable as well.

I've started having a problem with Outlook Express as well, with people complaining that attachments I've sent work open and HTML formatting looks messed up, but the same file opens fine went sent with Netscape, including HTML and tables. Arrrggg, just too many problems and frustrations.

Why can't someone build a browser and email client that works the way I work, rather than making me and all my business contacts change the way we do things. Netscape is at least flexible enough to allow us to get some work done, and thats on Mac, Windows, Linux, and one client using OS/2. Hopefully 6.0 will continue in the same direction. Until then, I'm going to stick with my trusty 4.7

------------------
I work, I play, iMac!

[This message has been edited by iMacMike (edited 04-03-2000).]
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

bood69  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2000, 09:21 PM

I read a recommendation by hagop in another post that it helps to clear out your disk cache and leave it set at 0. This seems to help a bit, but if it starts screwing up again it's back to Netscape...

ATP Tour Fan, how do you have your cache settings? And how did you like the Ericsson Open Finals?

[This message has been edited by bood69 (edited 04-03-2000).]

Steve Hicks
Apr 3, 2000, 11:54 PM

I've been using IE 5 since it's release and haven't experienced any problems at all. My disk cache has been set to 0 the entire time of use also, so maybe there's something to that. If you're using a cable or DSL connection it's better to set the cache to 0 anyway since loading a page is faster than searching the hard drive and comparing pages.

Hope that helps,
Steve

bood69  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2000, 11:03 PM

Haven't had a crash since adjusting the cache settings...watching and waiting...

Phil Squod
Apr 6, 2000, 09:30 PM

An additional problem I am experiencing has to do with monitor size. When I go from 640 x480 to 800x600 my browser's top bar disappears, the scroll bar is inaccessible and I can't get to the top right corner to resize. I end up having to quit out of the browser completely! Anyone else finding this? I am using a G3 with a 17 inch monitor.

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2000, 04:56 PM

Some crashes can be solved by deleting the PPC Registration Database file, especially if the file is large. It is located in the Preferences folder, and will be rebuilt automatically

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2000, 05:51 PM

been working perfect on my DVSE since installed.

mrfcobf
Apr 10, 2000, 06:33 PM

It works well for me with the exception of just a few sites which work for nobody with 5.0 and everybody with 4.5. The thing that has been awful is the aftermath. If I run 5.0, I WILL crash sometime that day. I stopped running it for 5 days and nothing. I went back today and 3 crashes! That just can't be a coincidence!

For those disbelievers - try a regular site I used to check my stocks every day with 4.5 and can't use with 5.0:
http://www.pcquote.com/cgi-bin/client.exe?

Forum Links
Forum Rules