Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Well Done George W

Well Done George W
Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2004, 05:33 AM

Just watched the speech he delivered at the American Cemetery at Colleville sur Mer. I thought he was very eloquent and paid great respect to the veterans that participated in the longest day. He did very well not to refer to Iraq or the War on Terror and he made the important point of saying that the sacrifice paid by the US, British, Canadian and French soldiers as well as French civilians paid on D-Day.

The whole event has been covered on French TV 24 hours a day since Friday. Incredibly moving and leaves absolutely no doubt in my mind of the appreciation that French people have of the sacrifice that was made for and by them.

What's very moving for me is the inclusion, for the first time, in the official ceremonies of the German soldiers. We've seen many interviews with German soldiers and hearing their stories really gives you an insight into the futility of war. Seeing people that were shooting each other 60 years ago hugging on Omaha Beach is difficult to describe in words. Certainly these images I will retain for a long time.

I hope we succeed in transmitting to our children the story of D-Day, the horror of the entire war and the message that it should always be the last option. Like so many of the veterans that have given witness over the last few days, sadly I believe many of those lessons have not been learned.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2004, 07:14 AM

May we remember the Sacrafice of the boys on this day June 6th.

Stands at attention and salutes.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2004, 08:56 AM

Good for GWB!

Glad to hear something positive about him for a change. Now the next positive thing I want to hear about him is that he has lost the election to Kerry
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Saad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Good for GWB!

Glad to hear something positive about him for a change. Now the next positive thing I want to hear about him is that he has lost the election to Kerry
If he really tries, he can be eloquent and a good orator, but otherwise...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Good for GWB!

Don't worry. We won't cave to the terrorists like you did.

boots
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2004, 10:02 AM

It was a good speech. For a lot of reasons.

Unless you've stood in the cemetary, I don't think you can imagine the scope of D-Day. It's a powerful experience to look out over the crosses for as far as the eye can see. It's a humbling yet empowering experience that fills one with sadness and great pride all at the same time.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2004, 10:52 AM

Yes, it was a good speech. He should do more speeches that good.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2004, 11:51 AM

edit: *snip* (wrong thread)

Forum Links
Forum Rules