Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Buying Fonts

Buying Fonts
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 04:30 PM

I'm considering buying a nice font collection and was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good site AND a good collection. I would love to see a nice range (inexpensive to expensive).

Thanks!

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2005, 05:04 PM

Depends upon how you intend to use them -- every face has a personality.

A good place to start your search is the first post in this forum. There are a number of free and commercial font sites.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 05:43 PM

director is right...

Also you might want to consider just making your own fonts. I mean, its laborious, yeah, but its not only original, but its way way cheaper. Free is the way to go, though... unless theres a specific font you want, you can do just about anything to need to with free fonts.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2005, 03:19 PM

I already have hundreds of fonts, but was wondering if you thought a nice font collection was worth the money. I basically would like to have more "rather large" font families [six or seven versions of the "same" font]

travisimo
Jul 21, 2005, 07:51 PM

pro versions that hold several varations of the same family are often costly, over 100 dollars per family. so choose wisley on which ones you buy. Adobe Font Folio is a collection every graphic designer should have, or have access to. All the pro versions of all the best fonts are included in that collection.

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 10:46 AM

I like linotype and their prices are not bad.

http://www.linotype.com/

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 10:47 PM

http://www.adobe.com/products/fontfolio/main.html

Its recently become much more affordable (about the price of a decked out mac w/ display) which if you think about it, isn't too bad for the hours upon hours (or years) font designers have spent creating them. Open Type is sweet, too. Unfortuanately (or fortunately), even if you invest in the Adobe Font Folio, it won't be the last set of fonts you buy.

loki, I have to disagree. Its only cheaper to make your own fonts if you're time is virtually useless.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
http://www.adobe.com/products/fontfolio/main.html

Its recently become much more affordable (about the price of a decked out mac w/ display) which if you think about it, isn't too bad for the hours upon hours (or years) font designers have spent creating them. Open Type is sweet, too. Unfortuanately (or fortunately), even if you invest in the Adobe Font Folio, it won't be the last set of fonts you buy.

loki, I have to disagree. Its only cheaper to make your own fonts if you're time is virtually useless.
9K seems rather expensive... perhaps if I were a design studio.

I'm looking in the $500 range.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2005, 08:39 PM

its only $5K if you buy the 5 seat license.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2005, 09:53 PM

5k for the 10-seat, isn't it? Too bad you can't get a single seat. That would be the $499.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2005, 05:00 AM

I'm guessing you already know about these, but just incase:

Free: http://www.larabiefonts.com/
Pay: http://www.typodermic.com/

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2005, 07:17 AM

Mitchell, if you're a designer starting out, I'd suggest reading up as much on type as you can, and looking at type to get a feel for it. Then, instead of buying a generic one-size-fits-all font collection with hundreds of fonts you'll never use, shop around and pick a few nice fonts you really like. There are some decent bargains to be had at smaller foundries. Make a laundry list of fonts you'll need. For example, I'd suggest:

1. One or two grotesque sans.
2. Several trendy humanist sans.
3. One or two display sans.
4. A few serif book faces.
5. Maybe a cool serif display face.
6. At least one family with both serif and sans fonts.
7. One or two hand-lettered fonts.

There are a few typography blogs and forums that can supply you with ideas. I think this way, you'll spend less, end up with a more interesting collection, and support independent type designers in the process.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Mitchell, if you're a designer starting out, I'd suggest reading up as much on type as you can, and looking at type to get a feel for it. Then, instead of buying a generic one-size-fits-all font collection with hundreds of fonts you'll never use, shop around and pick a few nice fonts you really like. There are some decent bargains to be had at smaller foundries. Make a laundry list of fonts you'll need. For example, I'd suggest:

1. One or two grotesque sans.
2. Several trendy humanist sans.
3. One or two display sans.
4. A few serif book faces.
5. Maybe a cool serif display face.
6. At least one family with both serif and sans fonts.
7. One or two hand-lettered fonts.

There are a few typography blogs and forums that can supply you with ideas. I think this way, you'll spend less, end up with a more interesting collection, and support independent type designers in the process.

Very wise poster.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 07:59 PM

d.p.
( Last edited by DeathMan; Jul 27, 2005 at 10:24 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules