Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Post Pics of Cool PC Laptops

Post Pics of Cool PC Laptops
Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 03:55 AM

I'm wondering what the first Mactel PowerBook might look like. Since the PC world is already using Intel processors, they must have already explored what's possible with Intel chips and the heat they produce etc. So, with a view to getting an idea of what might be possible for the Mactel PowerBooks, how about posting some pics of cool PC laptops or cool features on PC laptops?

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2005, 04:05 AM

I don't see why apple can't design whatever the heck they want. Changing the CPU isn't going to change anything, apple still makes the board designs anyway.
Aloha

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Link
I don't see why apple can't design whatever the heck they want. Changing the CPU isn't going to change anything, apple still makes the board designs anyway.
Isn't it? Don't these new processors have different heat characterists for one? Also, they include bluetooth and wi-fi on the chip now don't they? So that would presumably free up space. I thought the new Intel chips were behind PC laptops suddenly getting remarkably thin of late.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2005, 04:49 AM

This should be in the lounge not the PowerBook thread.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Link
Link, what makes you think Apple's PCs will not use Intel boards as the developer boxes do?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 09:02 AM

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
That's funny. Someone just walked into my office with one of those and I thought, "Man, I wish my PowerBook felt as sturdy as this one."

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2005, 09:57 AM

Thinkpad's are one of the the only non-Apple laptops I would own.

Thread moved to the Lounge.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 09:59 AM

+1

-t

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 10:44 AM

Sorry, but not impressed.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 10:49 AM

You guys want PowerBooks to look like thinkpads ? have you guys gone completely mad ?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 12, 2005, 11:05 AM

My Aluminum Powerbook is nicer than that thing.

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
You guys want PowerBooks to look like thinkpads ? have you guys gone completely mad ?
Nope, I don't. I just thought it felt sturdier than my Titanium.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 11:25 AM

Look? Well as much as I love the looks of the PowerBooks, the looks have to take a second place to portable functionality. The T series Thinkpads are thin, light, durable, have excellent battery life, and run fast and cool. The are portable perfection, not necessarily art.

A desktop sits in one place, usually on or under a desk and stays pretty well protected. A laptop is subjected to many environments. An easily scratched and dented aluminum PowerBook isn't well suited for a lot of chores that laptops are need for.

I had a Thinkpad T40p before the PowerBook that I have now. The ONLY reason I have a PowerBook is because of OS X. If I could run OS X on a T43, the PowerBook would be adios.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
My Aluminum Powerbook is nicer than that thing.
Your 17" PowerBook serves a completely different purpose. It's for creative designers (A/V, graphics) and that's fine, it's a great laptop for them. It is not a great laptop for someone like me, who needs to crawl inside a dusty wiring closet, with the laptop propped on one knee, bumping into things. I have to be extra careful with my 15" PowerBook because I'm so worried about scratching and denting it. Fortunately, I buy a lot of T43s at work so I use one of them when I need to use a laptop somewhere other than a nice clean desk.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Sorry, but not impressed.
You know that there's something seriously wrong with the concept when WD gives it a thumbs-down.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
You know that there's something seriously wrong with the concept when WD gives it a thumbs-down.

-t

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 11:44 AM

Small Compaq Armada M300. CD-less, but really for the meat and potatoes kinda people.

pics later

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 11:45 AM

So basically, if Apple had a smaller, quieter, cooler lighter powerbook in the same design they have now, ud prefer it to look like a thinkpad ? (with all the same features and power of course).

I'll take a slightly heavier Powerbook to a lighter Thinkpad any day. Styling counts for something in my book anyway.

And now that you can have a hack of OSX on intel boxes, ud rather buy a thinkbad over a Powerbook. yuck. No Thankyou.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 11:52 AM

So basically, if Apple had a smaller, quieter, cooler lighter powerbook in the same design they have now, ud prefer it to look like a thinkpad ?
I'd prefer it to be made of the same durable composite material the Thinkpads are made of. The fact that the Thinkpads run cooler are due in large part to the Pentium M.
And now that you can have a hack of OSX on intel boxes, ud rather buy a thinkbad over a Powerbook. yuck. No Thankyou.
No, I wouldn't run some hacked copy of OS X on a Thinkpad, but the temptation would be there. I've owned 3 Thinkpads (X series, A series, T series) prior to my PowerBook and they are just incredibly well built laptops.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 11:55 AM

A powerbook should never have tray loading cd drive. Now that's just ridiculous. Thinkpads are nice, but they're not *that* nice. I agree with WD:

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 12:04 PM

The Panasonic T4 is an all-day ultralight. The 2.77 pound notebook has a 12-hour standard battery life (real world estimate of 6-9 hours). It is built to withstand 50kg (110 pounds) of weight, as well as a 30cm (11.8 inch) drop. (Although it reaches this threshold in the lab, it is not guaranteed to withstand that and physical damage is not covered under warranty.)

The chassis measures 10.55 x 8.27 x 1.03-1.53 inches, just enough for the keyboard to reach its outstanding 19mm keypitch. The Intel Pentium-M 1.2ghz Dolan processor (with 2mb of on-chip cache) is complemented by 1gb RAM (max). The 80gb HDD is shock-mounted, to reduce the risk of physical data loss.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2005, 12:08 PM

check out this site for the latest and greatest from Japan...

http://www.dynamism.com/index.shtml
Joe

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 12:11 PM

How many of you would do this with a PowerBook (or any other laptop)?

Holding it by the top of the screen

Holding it by one corner

All weight on the screen hinges

Any one of those things would bend a PowerBook all to hell. Thinkpads are damn durable workhorses.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 12:32 PM

A better question would be, WHY would anyone want to hold their laptop in any of those positions ? If IBM made a conscious decision to make their portables out of that material so that consumers could hold them in those positions, and compromized style in doing so.... well...thats a shame.

Now if you plan on holding your laptop in those position for a significant amount of time, thats a different story.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 12:33 PM

This thread is failing.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 12:39 PM

What keys to I press quick? I need to reboot this thread...

Is it CTRL-ALT-DEL? or is it OPT-CMND-ESC?

Quick? I cannot hold on much longer? <James Doohan / Scotty> GRHSTS

Cubeoid
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 12:41 PM

I think it's right click on the recycle panel twice while consulting a c# reference pamphlet.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 12:42 PM

A better question would be, WHY would anyone want to hold their laptop in any of those positions ?
You're really missing the point there. I'm just demonstrating how strong the Thinkpad's construction is.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Link, what makes you think Apple's PCs will not use Intel boards as the developer boxes do?
What makes you think they will??

Seriously, they are NOT going to use generic Intel motherboards. They may use a few Intel chipsets, but the motherboards will be sufficiently different enough that the hackers currently running OS X on other generic hardware will have a harder time getting the production version to run.

Apple is using Intel boards in the developer boxes because they had to get something to the developers QUICKLY, so that the software conversion can take place.

When Apple ships a Mac with Intel chips, it will NOT be a generic PC, nor will it be a generic motherboard.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 12:55 PM

Great, I'll use it as a bookshelf.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 12:57 PM

If IBM made a conscious decision to make their portables out of that material so that consumers could hold them in those positions, and compromized style in doing so.... well...thats a shame.
Yeah, you're right. After all, Apple's 90% dominance of the laptop market clearly indicates that consumers and businesses only want durable laptops if it doesn't sacrifice the styling. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the current PowerBooks are a little TOO durable. Hopefully the next ones will be made of marble. I think marble would be much more decorative.

IBM is just trying to pick up the scraps with their Thinkpad. I don't know anyone that uses them, they're too ugly!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 12:58 PM

You're really missing the point there. I'm just demonstrating how strong the Thinkpad's construction is.
Oh i agree, the thinkpads are really sturdy. credit to material and the frame, right ? If Apple were to employ that material to manufacture the powerbooks, while retaining the current stylings of the powerbook, im cool with that.

I just dont want my OSX coming on a machine that looks like a thinkpad(location of ports, tray for optical drive, black, missing trackpad, etc).

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 01:04 PM

While Thinkpads are really sturdy, I never thought of them as design marvels (maybe they're good as industrial design notebooks), cause of the red nipple, always black plastic and generally conservative look. But they work great. Vaio is stylish, but expensive, and performances is so so

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 01:04 PM

If Apple makes it, I don't think you have to worry about it being ugly. But a business line of pro laptops made out something other than aluminum would really make my day.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 01:08 PM

Ever open an IBM up and look inside? It's modular and quite organized. It's a brick, solid, and well organized inside. If you have to have a peecee laptop, you couldn't do better for quality. If you have to fight the OS, why fight the hardware too?

- - -

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 01:11 PM

If Apple makes it, I don't think you have to worry about it being ugly. But a business line of pro laptops made out something other than aluminum would really make my day.
Bingo!

I'd be really shocked if Apple teams aren't already playing with some ideas along those lines.

OS X has really earned Apple a long hard look from biz buyers that they never got before. Exotic hardware and price remain the major barriers. If Macintel can address those concerns (yes, Intel inside is a MAJOR selling point to a biz) Apple stands to gain significant market share in the biz sector. Which, after all, is where the money is.

P.S. Thinkpads are *tanks* and I'd love to see Apple offer something with that in mind.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 01:16 PM

Hehe...i dont think style or elegance is high up on your average IT administrators list of priorities. I mean come on...they choose a machine that can run Windows or Linux. lol.

I think(my opinion here), that the people who think the thinkpad is an attractive computer actually beleive Windows/linux to be the best OS out there, and IBM caters to them. nothing wrong with that.

After all, i like my Quartz graphics despite the performance hit. But yeah as far as materials go, they should try something sturdier (ala thinkpad material), just dont make it look like one thats all.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 01:18 PM

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 01:21 PM

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker

We have a winner!

Wow.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by pman68
We have a winner!
Wow.
Eeeww, I prefer the current Powerbooks over THAT thing...

-t

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 03:20 PM

I might prefer the PowerBook, but that samsung is a great looking laptop, IMO. Just goes to show there is really no reason that PC makers can't make nice stuff when they want to.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 03:22 PM

The silver one is ok. They should do away with the roundness on the back, and make the edges a little straighter. I'm wondering how it latches.

loki74
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 03:23 PM

I sure as hell hope they don't change the PowerBook look. Even that Samsung we have in this thread does not look as nice.

Also a thing i'm big on is those CD trays? having the computer suck the CD in is much nicer (thats how its done now, right?) So I hope they do not mimic this. ...but why would they?

Seriously guys, if the Intel processors are that much better, more efficient, etc, that will just give Apple more room to improve the already superior design. Why would they make it all weird like those PCs? I mean, whats the point of having a rounded top bezel? (ie that Samsung, and many other PC laptops)

just my $0.02

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 03:29 PM

I highly doubt the PowerBook will undergo radical changes. Its a great looking laptop. I expect the Centrino version to be the thinnest, lightest one yet. Something, indeed, to look forward to.

IMO, the Intel stable offers Apple so much more room for differentiation of the lineup than we're used to. Apple could offer portables from teeny-tiney PDA-like devices, the usual thin and lights, all the way up to workstation monsters with ThinkPad-like durability/construction.

The biggest thorn in Apple's notebook side is the fact that iBook and PowerBook are so close to identical specs wise. I was in an Apple store the other day and actually heard a salesperson downsell a customer looking at a PowerBook. "iBook really is a better deal. And do you really need a portable? Have you seen the Mini?"

With Intel parts, Apple can really make those product distinctions mean something more than aesthetics.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
Also a thing i'm big on is those CD trays? having the computer suck the CD in is much nicer (thats how its done now, right?) So I hope they do not mimic this. ...but why would they?
Slot loading looks cooler. Many of the tray loading drives are easily removable, allowing you to insert a second battery or something, so they can be rather functional. They're cheaper, too.

loki74
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 03:45 PM

Thats true. And they support use of those mini disc thingies. But I still much prefer the slot load myself. Its just so much, well... cleaner.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 03:45 PM

I wish Apple would make a Ferrari laptop like Acer did.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
I wish Apple would make a Ferrari laptop like Acer did.
You are kiddin'. right ? Otherwise:

WTF? Are you guys blind ?

Just look at all the bottons on the front sides, the ports, the lid locks. FUGLY!

-

Forum Links
Forum Rules