Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Packet writing and UDF--when?

Packet writing and UDF--when?
Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 08:49 PM

Any hopes for packet writing and full UDF support in Leopard (I had hoped for it in Tiger)? I'm getting tired of switchers asking me why they can't just add files to a CD-RW
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2006, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I wanted this functionality too. That's one reason I ended up going for a DVD-RAM drive. The other reason being so I could read the DVD-RAM discs from my Panasonic DVD Recorder. But guess what? Although Apple finally implemented support for UDF v2 in Tiger, it's buggy and shows up video files on the disc as pipes instead of file streams so I can't read them. Sometimes it sucks being a Mac user . Apple need to start listening to their customers more I think. I wouldn't mind if there was just a delay and hope round the corner but it's been ages and these things still haven't been done. When I look at the emerging products in PC hardware and software, the more I just think Apple is being left behind. Sure, their OS is the best around but without the hardware and software, what good is that?

On the other hand, I suppose a lot of these features are low priority. There are a lot of major changes in the Mac camp at the moment and it will take time for it all to settle down. What Apple may be thinking is why bother to write new drivers to support packet-writing and possibly firmware updates when DVD-RAM is available as well as cheap external hard drives/flash media? But there's no reason why 3rd party people like Roxio can't be trying it - Toast updates don't really seem to include that much more functionality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules