Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New 5G iPod, Charging Problems?

New 5G iPod, Charging Problems?
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2006, 11:06 PM

Here's the deal, when I plug my new 5G iPod into my USB Hub (powered hub), the iPod will of course open iTunes and mount onto the desktop. I read that I need to let it charge for about 3 hours before I unplug it but, for some reason the little battery icon in the top right corner stops blinking shortly after it mounts on the desktop... does this mean it's not charging at all? If I unplug the iPod from the computer, the battery indicator says about 75%. I don't wanna leave it plugged in all night and find out that it didn't charge at all.

However, if I unmount my iPod from the computer and keep it plugged into the USB port and hold down play until it's off, a BIG battery icon appears and it does blink that it's charging. So for some reason it charges when NOT mounted on the desktop or iTunes but, the icon fails to blink gray-to-green while it's being used by iTunes.

Is this normal behavior? Should I bring my iPod back?

I just got it today and it has the latest iPod software on it.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 01:42 PM

Nobody?

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 09:40 AM

Update: I drained my battery completely and then attempted to charge it overnight... when I woke up... the battery indicator had not moved at all. It's still just a very small sliver of red. What is going on here?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 10:47 AM

THe first thing I would try is to not hook it up to the hub and just hook it directly to the computer. That would help to narrow it down and most likely Apple would tell you to do the same thing.

If it still isn't working I would take it back and get an exchange.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 12:10 PM

Another thing I just thought of.

My better half has an iMac G4 800MHz and she hooks her 3G 20GB iPod to it via Firewire. When the computer goes to sleep the iPod does not charge. When the computer is not sleeping, it charges just fine.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2006, 12:49 PM

Do a search on charging and hubs; iPods are smart enough to note when the USB device they are connecteed to is "live" and when it's not-and they won't charge through an inactive (i.e. not live) device, even if it's powered separately from the USB host. This is almost guaranteed to be what's happening with your iPod. It will definitely charge with an AC adapter, so use that even though it's an eztra expense.

I NEVER depend on my computer to charge my iPod. I ALWAYS charge it with an AC adapter-and I think Apple's not including an AC adapter with the latest generation of iPods is a big mistake.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Do a search on charging and hubs; iPods are smart enough to note when the USB device they are connecteed to is "live" and when it's not-and they won't charge through an inactive (i.e. not live) device, even if it's powered separately from the USB host. This is almost guaranteed to be what's happening with your iPod. It will definitely charge with an AC adapter, so use that even though it's an eztra expense.

I NEVER depend on my computer to charge my iPod. I ALWAYS charge it with an AC adapter-and I think Apple's not including an AC adapter with the latest generation of iPods is a big mistake.
Update: a coworker charged my iPod on her G5 here at work... and it worked! Full charge! So it must be my hub... that's the only other thing it could be. Thank you all for helping. You're great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules