Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > RAM Compatability

RAM Compatability
BLKessler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2001, 01:26 PM

Can somebody please help clear up my confusion regarding RAM upgrades and Apple products? I was under the impression that a lot of the RAM upgrades for computers in Apple's lineup were more-or-less interchangeable. Am I mistaken?

For example, I was just pricing Apple's offerings for the PowerBook G3/500, the iBook SE (G3/466), and the iMac DV SE (G3/500). (After the steep price drops, I may end up buying two of 'em!) Thinking that Apple's prices for RAM upgrades were too steep I figured I'd do the RAM upgrade myself (as I've done in the past on countless desktops and laptops).

I'm using Simple Technology as my example, but Kingston, etc., show similarities. They show both the PowerBook and the iMac needing PC-100 SDRAM, while the iBook uses [regular?] SDRAM.

Well, let's talk about 128MB upgrades. For the PowerBook, that'd be $140. For the iMac, that'd be $130. What's the deal here? Are they the same or not?

And for the iBook, that 128MB upgrade would be $200. But does the iBook use different memory from the PowerBook?

Don't get me wrong; the pricing still isn't too bad compared to Apple's. On the iMac, for example, Apple's asking for $300 to add 128MB, vs. $130 from Simple Technology if I do it myself.

So, basically, the question is this: is the RAM different in these machines? And if so, why such dramatic price differences?

Thanks!

------------------
Brett Kessler
MCSE, MCP+I
--
Brett L. Kessler

Hlecter
Jan 4, 2001, 02:09 PM

iBooks use SDRAM SO-DIMMs of 1.25 inch (SO = small outline).
(new)iMacs use DIMMS (same as most PCs) explaining the lower prices.
I don't know for sure about PB G3 Pismo, I think they can use both.
Also look at http://www.transintl.com

Paul S
Senior User
Jan 4, 2001, 02:13 PM

While the iMac and PowerBook both use PC-100 RAM, they are in different form factors. The iMac uses full sized 168-pin DIMMs, but the PowerBook uses the smaller SO (small outline) DIMMs.

The iBook also uses SO DIMMs, but I believe those are PC-66 not PC-100. The iBook is probably more expensive because PC-66 is going away and PC-100 is now the standard (until Apple moves to 133).

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2001, 03:05 PM

$130 is the cheapest you could find? Try www.ramseeker.com for much much better prices. You certainly do NOT want to pay $130 for a 128 MB chip right now.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

jeffnudi
Jan 4, 2001, 11:56 PM

I just got a 256 MB dimm for my G4 from www.transintl.com for $120 plus shipping. It is 2-2-2 and is the second dimm I got from them. I paid about the same price for 128 MB last April when i bought the G4.

Fredo
Senior User
Jan 5, 2001, 12:13 AM

Same deal at Crucial Technology. http://www.crucial.com/
256 MB is $130.00 now and getting lower all the time.
Who are the Brain Police?

BLKessler  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2001, 10:17 AM

Okay, please correct me if I'm wrong: the general consensus is as follows:

(1) The iMac uses standard PC-100 DIMMs.
(2) The PowerBook uses PC-100 SO-DIMMs.
(3) The iBook uses PC-66 SO-DIMMs.
(4) I'm NOT going to pay a lot for this muff^H^H^H^H^H memory! ;-)

Basically, none of the memory is interchangeable, and the prices I've been seeing are way too high. Thanks, everybody, for helping clear it up!

------------------
Brett Kessler
MCSE, MCP+I
--
Brett L. Kessler

Forum Links
Forum Rules