Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > installing things in Linux

installing things in Linux
Theodour
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2002, 03:09 PM

I have YDL 2.2, and want to install Mozilla v.1.
The trouble is, I don't know what to do with the mozilla folder once I extract it.

How do you install this thing? For that matter, now do you install anything, and where can you find out how to do this stuff?

I've tried penguinppc, the linux documentation project, and other sites, but they all sort of talk about things that either don't work on my machine, or are totally unrelated to what I'm trying to do.

Mozilla has no information on there site either.

Anyone?

Thanks,
iMac 350, slot loader CD-rom (no firewire), YDL 2.2

Woehrle46
Jun 6, 2002, 05:10 PM

Are you using KDE or Gnome? If so there should already be a version of mozilla on these. If you have to install it you might try to look for a .rpm of the file and them use package manager to install it, that should be in the system menu on the kde pop up menu.Dont know exactly where it is in Gnome.If theres not a rpm of it for ppc then you either have to complie it yourself or youre out of luck if you dont know how to do that.I'm not really an Linux fanatic so i dont know how to compile things. Hope that helps.
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2002, 05:54 PM

I assume you downloaded the ppc tar.gz file, if so, there should be some text files in the directory that you extracted, probably with names like README, and INSTALL, read them, they should tell you the procedure.
if they don't exist, there should at least be some sort of shell script to do the installation, look for things with a .sh extension, or names like install(all lower case), and if you find one, run it by typing ./install.sh (or whatever the filename was, preceded by ./) at the command line.

Right now there are no rpms, or debian packages for ppc...

If you've got source code then the procedure is to firstly do ./configure (this detects system type, etc.) and then gmake at the command line, you must be in the extracted directory for this to work.
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

plavigna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2002, 01:29 AM

[QB]I have YDL 2.2, and want to install Mozilla v.1.
The trouble is, I don't know what to do with the mozilla folder once I extract it.

If you extracted the file "mozilla-powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-1.0.tar.gz", it created a folder "mozilla" in your home directory. In that folder is a file called "mozilla" -- just click it with the mouse; Mozilla should start up if all the required libraries are installed.

If it doesn't start, try launching it from a terminal. Change to the "mozilla" directory in a terminal window, then type "./mozilla". If there is a problem, you will be able to read any error messages.

For anyone trying to get Mozilla 1.0 to work in Mandrake 8.2 PPC, I had to create a link from /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 > libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3

It worked for me.

Sap
Jun 8, 2002, 09:44 PM

Ah, I see you guys like pain

Here's how you do it the easy way: <a href="http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_2.2/apt-get.shtml" target="_blank">read up on apt</a>, follow the easy directions to add the 'test' and 'contrib' directories to the config, and update your database with "apt-get update".

Want Mozilla 1.0? "apt-get install mozilla"

Sorry to ruin the fun

Sap
Jun 8, 2002, 09:46 PM

dbl

<small>[ 06-08-2002, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Sap ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules