Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook updates on Tuesday!!??

iBook updates on Tuesday!!??
stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2005, 12:26 PM

I was just browsing around on the Apple website, looking at iBooks on the Apple Store. I'm interested in buying one in a few months. For ANY BTO option you add, it ups the ship time to 7-10 days. Thats RAM upgrades, Bluetooth, HDD upgrades, and even Keyboard language change and Pre-Installed software! Updates soon???
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

treebytron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 01:03 PM

oh man, I sure hope so. That would make me so happy

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 01:10 PM

interesting.....

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2005, 01:26 PM

From a person that has been waiting over 3 months for an update... that would make me very happy.

They need to do something or they are going to have a hard quarter dealing with "back to school" kids. There hasn't been a bump since Oct. of last year.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 02:06 PM

It probably won't be this coming Tuesday, July 19th. If standard config iBooks go to 7-10 days shipping over the weekend, then MAYBE. The key is to watch MacPrices.com to see how the inventory looks there. When most of the places are red (dried up, out of stock) and Apple is out of stock, then it will probably be very soon.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Strix
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2005, 02:56 AM

Well the UK Apple refurb store says they're open "Every day until 25/06". Yep, 25/6....

If by chance they meant the 25/07, this brings you to the 7/10 day limit.

Anyway, despite being "open everyday", it's definitely shut.....

Mca2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 03:40 PM

Standard iBooks and Minis are now listed as:
Europe: 7 -10 days
Canada: 5 -7 days
US: same business day
Australia: 1 -2 days

Seems like an update... though for Europe only this time?

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mca2
Standard iBooks and Minis are now listed as:
Europe: 7 -10 days
Canada: 5 -7 days
US: same business day
Australia: 1 -2 days

Seems like an update... though for Europe only this time?
Yeah, the iBooks are Same business day, but when you add ANYTHING to it it goes up to 7-10 business days. YESSSSS!!! And i just checked the mini does that too. Im 100% sure of an update sometime soon. Remember a month or so ago when Apple raised the ship time on the mini to 6-8 business days?? And then it turned out they were just giving a bunch to their retailers??? Well, why would they do that twice in a month??? This time, they'll probably update them!
8GB iPhone

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 06:16 PM

Probably just new speed bumps...
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 06:32 PM

unless there is a 15" ibook announced i dont care - i need to get rid of my 12" 800mhz G4 ibook for a powerbook 15"

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2005, 08:29 PM

they increase ship time to prepare your custom cofingured machine. since they don't have every custom-spec'd machine in stock 100% of the time, they up ship time in case they have to assemble a machine made to order first.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
they increase ship time to prepare your custom cofingured machine. since they don't have every custom-spec'd machine in stock 100% of the time, they up ship time in case they have to assemble a machine made to order first.
sure, but the point is that no matter what you upgrade w/ both the ibook and mini it jumps from 7-10 (i.e. even just RAM). if you do the same w/ an imac you get 1-3 insstead of 7-10 -- regardless of the upgrade. same w/ emacs. and powermacs are 2-4. powerbooks 1-3 also.

anyway - hope so b/c i know it's soon and my cousin needs to buy one very soon for her LLM. hopefully they'll be improved and they'll still be able to get an ipod mini w/ it for the edu discount.

alimunnik
Jul 17, 2005, 12:25 PM

Don't think they will upgrade the iBooks until they can do the same for the Powerbooks. By October they might have the 7448 G4 ready for the Powerbooks, which would allow for a significant iBook upgrade.
If you must have a new iBook now, better double up on the RAM if you want to take better advantage of Tiger and iLife 05. 256 Mb RAM just won't cut it any more.

Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 01:17 PM

October? That'd be a year without an update. Somehow I doubt they're going to wait THAT long.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by andretan
Probably just new speed bumps...
AKA: An update.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

treebytron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 10:02 PM

Oh boy I'm so excited

Strix
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 10:52 AM

Well UK store is now quoting 7 days shipping without having any BTO (USA is still same day). Looks like the truck broke down on its way to Europe from Asia.....

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2005, 10:23 PM

I will be VERY happy if it is just a speed bump. I'm just tired of waiting.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 08:18 AM

Realistically, I'm looking for a speedbump of some kind, bump in the base on-board RAM (my TiBook is maxed out at 1GB, the current iBooks max out at 1.25GB...not a big improvement for me), and a video bump (again, Radeon 7500 to Radeon 9200 is nice but not too worthwhile).

Oh, what the Hell...I'd like world peace, too.

Voch

Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2005, 09:09 AM

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0507ibook.html

Possible widescreen? Somehow I really doubt it.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 09:46 AM

Ohhh I can't wait!!! New iBooks now!!!

iceage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2005, 12:19 PM

If a plane crashed on the border of the USA and mexico, where would you bury the survivors?

(I'm still pondering that one) :?

They don't bury survivors - thirty year old humor should be buried however and how come you have capitalized " USA " and not " mexico " .

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0507ibook.html

Possible widescreen? Somehow I really doubt it.
I think any significant design changes will be waiting for the Intelization of the Mac product line

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by iceage
If a plane crashed on the border of the USA and mexico, where would you bury the survivors?

(I'm still pondering that one) :?

They don't bury survivors - thirty year old humor should be buried however and how come you have capitalized " USA " and not " mexico " .

What the hells your problem? And I am Mexican, it wasn't on purpose. So why don't you go criticize someone else. You asshole.
8GB iPhone

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 01:00 PM

word on the street is that new ibooks are coming this tuesday...along with a new goodie. can you say widescreen!!! if this is indeed true...consider me a new ibook owner.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

alimunnik
Jul 20, 2005, 03:11 PM

Haw,Haw,Haw! It's now Wednesday; a big disappointment for all those experts expecting PowerBook specifications at iBook prices. Better check what's going on at the PowerBook front. Once Apple figures out a way to upgrade that product line (it too is lagging behind the competition), perhaps they will deign to upgrade the iBooks as well. I can't see any major cosmetic changes or widescreen coming until they have something real substantial to put inside; i.e.; an Intel CPU.

tikibangout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2005, 09:53 PM

I sure hope its like sometime this week. I ordered a custom iBook, and it ships 8/02/05.

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 01:46 AM

My cousin called me today, and told me that she got an email about her custom iBook that she ordered last Thursday, appologizing for a delay in the building/shipping of the iBook.

Has anyone else received an email like this who ordered a custom iBook within the last week? I definitely think this is pointing to some kind of speed bump in the next week or so.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

christ
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 04:24 AM

I ordered an iBook with extra RAM on 14 July - it currently shows as shipping on or before 19 July.

I had an e-mail apologising for the delay (which doesn't show up at the store), but irritatingly they also cancelled the order for a backpack that I had ordered at the same time, and I can't figure out if the two are related.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

tikibangout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by christ
I ordered an iBook with extra RAM on 14 July - it currently shows as shipping on or before 19 July.

I had an e-mail apologising for the delay (which doesn't show up at the store), but irritatingly they also cancelled the order for a backpack that I had ordered at the same time, and I can't figure out if the two are related.
So yours didn't get upped to 7-10 days? Thats wierd, how much extra RAM did you get? Even with everything standard and 512MB RAM its upped to 7-10 days. I ordered mine with 768MB RAM, and 60GB HDD, and its upped to 7-10 days.
( Last edited by tikibangout; Jul 21, 2005 at 02:00 PM. )

Spidey79
Jul 21, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
What the hells your problem? And I am Mexican, it wasn't on purpose. So why don't you go criticize someone else. You asshole.
Ur not Mexicano homeboy. You are a Chicano, to sabes hablar el castellano de tus antepasados. Lol take it easy man, its a mistake that he corrected you on. You need to do a grammar correction, because people will take you literally. Peace

tikibangout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 10:49 PM

UPDATE

I didn't want to make a new thread, but http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0507ibook2.html released info on the update. I hope this comes quick, time is running out and my order will be shipped soon. It would be nice to see it come tomorrow, considering i'll be away next week.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 01:07 AM

iBooks are now showing 5-7 day shipping on the Apple site...

tikibangout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 02:00 AM

Too bad my order is Partially Shipped, now I can't change my order when the update comes. Ah to hell with it all, i'm getting a good iBook anyway.

iceage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 12:18 PM

(1) if someone finds your humor offensive it shouldn't be here .

(2) the version of the joke I heard ended with - you don't bury survivors - except the mexicans of course- some of the claim to be alive , but you know what a bunch of liars they are .

(3) Since 9/11 humor shouldn't include USA and plane crashes in the same sentence . It's a respect thing .

christ
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 12:58 PM

This is the ibook forum, guys
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

mathew_m
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 01:04 PM

Speculation wise I think we'll see the ibook come in a aluminum enclosure in a variety of colors. Similar in styling to the iPod mini. Just as long as they don't call it a Powerbook mini.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Speculation wise I think we'll see the ibook come in a aluminum enclosure in a variety of colors. Similar in styling to the iPod mini. Just as long as they don't call it a Powerbook mini.
I hadn't thought of that! Wonder if Apple did?
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

tikibangout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Ancient One
I hadn't thought of that! Wonder if Apple did?
Colored iBooks ewww. As long as they still offer white, I don't mind. I can't see myself walking around with a green laptop or some ****.
Ships on or before 8/02/05:
  • iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz | 768MB RAM | 60GB Ultra ATA | Airport Extreme | Mac OS X 10.4

Spidey79
Jul 22, 2005, 06:41 PM

I like the concept of the ibook being a widescreen. The situation seems to be a tricky one because they are just a tad behind on the pb power. Unless its true that the new pb's will be equipped with the new processor, which I think its cool. haha. I love my ibook, but I wanna see the remodeled version. And as for the comments earlier. Lighten up guys, its a forum for ibooks and other stuff. Its not a war of who is politically correct. They are based on stereotyped and its kind of funny. Haha, but me being Mexican and everything. I was not offended because they are not true. Mexicans in general are hard working individuals. I mean tey came to America for a reason and that was for a better life and to earn a decent living. So stop your complaining and re-evalutate your stereotypes if you have them. we did not come here to live off welfare. peace. Hooray for a new ibook!!!

tikibangout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 07:30 PM

Why even bring up race? These are computer forums.
  • iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz | 768MB RAM | 60GB Ultra ATA | Airport Extreme | Mac OS X 10.4

Spidey79
Jul 22, 2005, 09:34 PM

scrwe racism or stereotypes or any other foolery. Hooray for apple ibooks and peace within each other. Stop acting like microsoft users. U need to flow and work perfectly like OSX... HHAHAHAH

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 10:00 PM

I would jump on the new iBook as soon as I save enough to afford it, but by that time, Intel iBooks will most likely be out.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
What if they call it the iPower?

tikibangout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 11:22 PM

iPower, oh no. We'll have the '70's all over again. Next thing you know disco clubs will start opening everywhere.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jul 23, 2005, 01:07 AM

^ You got a problem with discos?
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

tikibangout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 01:15 AM

UPDATE

Now no matter how you order the iBook, its 3-5 days to ship. When I ordered it on the 19th it was 7-10 days. Does anyone think I can call and have them change my ship date? People ordering it today and over the weekend will get it faster than me. This isn't fair.

Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 09:21 AM

Are you serious?

More than likely it's because there are new iBooks coming out on Tuesday, which is 7 days from when you ordered but only 3 days from now. Chill out and be happy you get an upgrade for free.

Spidey79
Jul 23, 2005, 01:48 PM

Ahh man I want a new ibook that will bve updated. But I bought mine like two months ago so it cannot be done.... Unless I sell it or give it to my sis, but that means I have to lose money or save. I think I might wait, I will pimp out my ibook with an 80 gig hd 7200 and a stick 1 gig ram... Muahaha ultimate ownage. I hope they increase the ram on the new ibooks at least. I am running on 256 and its still cool, will my comp be zippy with 1.25 ram?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spidey79
Ahh man I want a new ibook that will bve updated. But I bought mine like two months ago so it cannot be done.... Unless I sell it or give it to my sis, but that means I have to lose money or save. I think I might wait, I will pimp out my ibook with an 80 gig hd 7200 and a stick 1 gig ram... Muahaha ultimate ownage. I hope they increase the ram on the new ibooks at least. I am running on 256 and its still cool, will my comp be zippy with 1.25 ram?
An extra 1 GB of RAM will be like night and day. Apps will load faster, and you can have more running at once with less noticeable slowdown.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules