Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Educational discount on a macbook

Educational discount on a macbook
noxxten
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2007, 09:12 PM

I'm gonna buy a macbook within the next two weeks and use the educational discount. I'm not really a college student, but even a guy at a local genuis bar told me just to say i am since i'm in highschool.

Do you think now with the free ipod thing going on they'll check or ask for proof? Or am I still partically safe?

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Jun 6, 2007, 09:35 PM

hoo boy.

Cold Warrior
Jun 6, 2007, 10:22 PM

Ibl

Parvez
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 10:41 PM

Just go for it.

When I ordered my macbook, I told the lady that I'm ordering on behalf of my sister who goes to College. She didn't even ask for any ID or anything and gave me the discount.

chippervw
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2007, 10:46 PM

IN an apple retail store- they've always wanted a visual confirmation from me-

ONLINE- no problem

Can you get the same free ipod buying online apple store for education?

noxxten  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2007, 04:51 AM

I didnt think i'd be a problem. technically I am ordering for someone whos in college because we'll both be using it xD. But yeh, the ipods mine since im paying more for it :]. Thanks for the replies, and yeah, i'll be ordering online because the apple store i went to was on a visit to a city about 3 1/2 hours away.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 7, 2007, 05:14 AM

If it doesn't play upon your conscience then I guess you should go for it...

Four years ago when myself and friends were upgrading our macs we had to provide a fax/email from the educational institution. Maybe that process was too much of a hassle in the long run and has been ditched?

noxxten  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
If it doesn't play upon your conscience then I guess you should go for it...

Four years ago when myself and friends were upgrading our macs we had to provide a fax/email from the educational institution. Maybe that process was too much of a hassle in the long run and has been ditched?
yeah, thats what im really trying to avoid xD
do they still ask for it? Or at least did they ask for proof when you sned in the rebate last year?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 7, 2007, 06:46 AM

do they still ask for it?
I think not (judging by others above), if they do, then you could plead ignorance and re-order I guess?

did they ask for proof when you sned in the rebate last year?
This confuses me and I'm not sure who you're asking? If me, then yes, the proof was asked for after the order was placed (shopping cart reduced by 10%, completed order, then Apple employee rang me up), this was four years ago though, I had to fax/email them an acceptance letter into the institution or a headed/signed letter from the organiser of the course, etc, before the order could go into the "building" and finally "dispatch" stage.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by noxxten View Post
yeah, thats what im really trying to avoid xD
do they still ask for it? Or at least did they ask for proof when you sned in the rebate last year?
If your friend truly is in college, then have your friend place the order, as your friend will have legitimate proof of being in college.

noxxten  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2007, 12:36 PM

shes in college its just she tells me i have to buy it since i have 3/4ths of the money for it. ill talk her into buying it instead of me, its alot easier then doing this.

irnbrumike
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2007, 12:42 PM

I'm pretty sure you need to include an id, or some info on the schoo, you "attend" in the rebate form for the iPod.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
eMac.G5 DP.iMac.iPod.iSight
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

torifile
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2007, 01:26 PM

I've done the iPod rebate thing the past 3 years and not once did they ask for my institution or any info related to it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules