Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail.app in Panther, Junk stays in my In Box...

Mail.app in Panther, Junk stays in my In Box...
m4rtin
Oct 27, 2003, 10:25 PM

I did an Archive & Install of 10.3 onto 10.2.8 and now my junk mail stays in the In box.

I've tried turning the Junk settings off and on again, from training to auto and so on but still the problem continues. When I go back to auto it moves currently marked Junk from In to Junk folder but new Junk doesn't automatically move.

The settings I have can be seen here

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 12:38 AM

I have the same problem. I tells me that it thinks it's junk but then it shows it to me anyway. Yuk. Where do these spammer people get the idea that my 'unit' isn't big enough.... it's freaking huge! :-]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

dazuma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 07:23 AM

There's a good discussion on this issue over in the Apple Support discussions area. Looks like the most common fix is to manually insert a junk rule (click the advanced button in the junk prefs for an example) at the TOP of your rules list. Someone figured out that Apple decided to implement junk processing in Panther's Mail by executing an invisible rule at the BOTTOM of the rules list (Jaguar explicitly showed the rule at the top of the list), so in Panther, if you already have rules that include the "stop processing rules" action, it will effectively disable the automatic junk rule.

Other fixes that people have suggested include resetting junk processing, and rebuilding the prefs (move /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist to your desktop, and restart Mail: this will lose your account info and general user prefs, but will retain all your rules and mailboxes.)

I've been working on troubleshooting a similar problem this morning, and a combination of the above seems to have fixed it.

m4rtin  (op)
Oct 30, 2003, 10:18 PM

I just added a rule (as mentioned in a few posts) to move any mail that is Junk to the Junk folder.

This stops the Junk issue in the InBox but nothing appears in the Junk mailbox either...
It's a bit un-nerving cos I can't check the mail that was determined to be Junk

Forum Links
Forum Rules