Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > possible to write to DVD+RW in superdrive or no?

possible to write to DVD+RW in superdrive or no?
Such87
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 09:50 AM

I've been gettin conflicting reports from the powerbook tech specs and online documentation. Can I use DVD+RW's? How? I tried the "burn" function that comes up when you try to eject the DVD, but it seems to have made a permanent copy that I can no longer add files to.

Thanks in advance

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2005, 09:55 AM

Whether you can use +R/RW media depends on what model it is. Only the ones with 4x writers (shows up as UJ-825 or UJ-835 in System Profiler) can write to +R/RW.

As for adding files: the Finder does not do packet writing, which is how you add/remove individual files. It does a single-burn method. Toast can do multisession burning, which can be used to add files. But since it's a +/-RW disc, you can use Disk Utility or Toast to erase the disc, which then becomes a new blank disc for burning to again.

tooki

Such87  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
It depends on what model it is. Only the ones with 4x writers (shows up as UJ-825 or UJ-835 in System Profiler) can write to +R/RW.

tooki
It's the superdrive of the new 17". How do I write to the DVD+RW to ensure that it doesn't "lock", as it seems to have?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2005, 09:58 AM

You don't. I edited my response above while you were writing your response, so see the second paragraph above for why.

tooki

Such87  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 10:03 AM

Great, thanks. Is there something a little cheaper (read: free) to use instead of Toast? It seems like something worthwhile to get, just a little low on funds now.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2005, 10:17 AM

There is some low cost disc burning software out there (search versiontracker or macupdate), but none of them are really as good as Toast.

It is also possible to burn multisession discs with Disk Utility, but it's a REALLY annoying multistep process (create disc image file, copy files to disc image, burn disc image).

tooki

rytc
Senior User
Feb 9, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Such87:
Great, thanks. Is there something a little cheaper (read: free) to use instead of Toast? It seems like something worthwhile to get, just a little low on funds now.
Doing a search for 'burn' on Versiontracker under OS X software, gave me dozens of freeware CD/DVD burning apps many of which do sessions.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/se...acosx&x=15&y=8

Forum Links
Forum Rules