Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 RAM + HD Questions

iMac G5 RAM + HD Questions
m4rtin
Oct 19, 2005, 08:39 PM

I'm looking to buy the new iMac 20" with 1.5gb RAM and 500gb HD. I phoned a local reseller (Applecentre Broadway) here in Sydney to see if they could either get me a better price, quicker delivery or even offer any incentive to buy from them (nope).

Anyway, during me telling the guy my preferred spec (above) he stopped me to say that "did I know that using symmetrical RAM modules gives a performance increase of approx. 20%" (or words to that effect), thereby advising me to have 2 x 512 chips or 2x 1gb chips etc. I pointed out to him that there's only one upgradable slot with 512 being soldered into the new revisions. He didn't know that so checked then sheepishly carried on with my enquiry.

So, (get to the point), is this actually true? And if so, why will there only be one possible configuration where the chips can be equal?

Also, is the 500gb drive over-priced? If I want loads of storage internally this is my only option right??

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 11:36 PM

The iMac G5 does support memory interleaving. If you match identical RAM modules together you will get a boost in performance. I found test results between matched and unmatched memory (google is your friend):

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Fr...macmemory.html

The test doesn't include the new iMac of course. I'd say the difference is negligible once you have 1GB or more of memory. I went ahead and ordered a 1GB module for my new iMac... I'd rather have the extra memory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules