Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anyone had their 20 inch iMac ship yet?

Anyone had their 20 inch iMac ship yet? (Page 3)
Voodoogmr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 07:23 AM

I was able to burn a DVD with no problem. I used some generic DVD-R discs I bought from Shop4Tech.com. These particular discs wouldn't work in my set-top DVD recorder, but the iMac had no trouble with them.

Normally, I use Leda DVD-Rs. They have worked consistently in all of my burners, and aren't too expensive (about $24 per spindle of 50).
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hdd
Powerbook G4, 12", 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd
iPod 5G - 30GB

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2005, 08:08 AM

Maybe Toast 6 is at fault here. Did you use Toast to burn them? If so, version 6 or 7?

Voodoogmr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 01:05 PM

I was just using iDVD. I've only made DVD-videos so far. I plan to only use burn folders to do the simple backups that I have to do.
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hdd
Powerbook G4, 12", 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd
iPod 5G - 30GB

Talon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by applenut1
I would suggest you read this thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=156163&page=8

and then call Amazon and tell them you are not happy.
Thanks for letting me know. Lame I got in on this late. It won't ship until Nov 15-22, even with one day shipping. Ah well, thanks again for letting me know.

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 02:34 PM

got mine today!!!! posting with it now :-)

imac 20'
ordered: oct 20
shipped: nov 4 from shanghai with tnt
received: nov 9, munich

only the memory upgrade missing. but even with only 512MB, the new imac rocks!
iMac G5 (iSight), 20", 2.1 GHz / 1,5GB RAM / 250GB
12'' G4 ibook 1.2 GHz / 1.25 GB / 30 GB
40GB 4G ipod & 1GB ipod shuffle

dazzla
Senior User
Nov 9, 2005, 02:52 PM

Mine shipped today, hasn't got the Kuehne+Nagel tracking, just the TNT. Does this mean it's already in the UK?

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 05:16 PM

re: Talon

Don't forget to call Apple back (because even w/1 day shipping you will NOT get it in 1 day) and get reimbursed for the shipping.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 05:19 PM

re: Talon

Don't forget to call Apple back (because even w/1 day shipping you will NOT get it in 1 day) and get reimbursed for the shipping.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 08:00 PM

I just pulled the trigger and ordered a 20" iMac last night. Apple says that it should ship no later than Nov. 18th. Of course, that's at the far end of "5-7 business days." I'm more than a little eager for it to ship on the 16th; I chose expedited shipping, so there's the slightest chance it could arrive at the end of next week if this happened. Realistically, I'm not expecting anything until the week after that.

I have to admit that I'm both excited and a little nervous. It's my first desktop Mac - I've had PowerBooks up until now - and I'd like it to be a good experience. It seems like the new iMac is relatively free of trouble, but there's no guarantee that it'll be the same for me!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Talon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
Do I misunderstand? I ordered from Amazon. They moved me to one day shipping free of charge because of the annoying delay applied when one orders the machines with free shipping.

Thanks for the heads up though.

caustik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 02:53 AM

They forgot the memory? How is that possible. Is there no quality control at the factory?? I hope they are overnighting you the rest of your memory. I just ordered a 20 with 1.5gigs ram the other day, set to ship on/before the 17th. Hopefully they don't screw mine up!

Originally Posted by sgb
got mine today!!!! posting with it now :-)

imac 20'
ordered: oct 20
shipped: nov 4 from shanghai with tnt
received: nov 9, munich

only the memory upgrade missing. but even with only 512MB, the new imac rocks!

Kurt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 09:41 AM

I ordered a 20" iMac with 1 GB of RAM and the wireless mouse/keyboard option last night. As of this morning it says estimated ship date is Nov. 21.

I can't wait. I manage two Mac labs at our University and this is my first Mac personal computer purchase! They bough me a Powerbook for my job, but I finally decided I wanted something more for the house.

kevin.g
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 01:35 PM

OK; stupid question here from a new Mac user. iMac works great - what a beautiful machine - but it's hard getting used to the mouse. Not sure if this is an Apple thing, a Mighty Mouse thing, or my desk thing. First of all, the mouse won't work straight on the desk; maybe since it has a shiny reflective material coating on top? So I'm basically forced to use a mouse pad. But the tracking on it is just weird; more sporadic than any other mouse u sed before on Windows computers. Is there any explanation for this? By the way, my Mac came through Alaska from China - not sure if this is always the route though. But the delivery is supersonic. Two business days from Shanghai to New York! And the machine is QUIET.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2005, 03:03 PM

Finally!

iMac 20'
Ordered oct 23
will be here tomorrow

dazzla
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 03:13 PM

Mine finally shipped today, dunno how long it'll take to get to the UK. Hopefully quicker than my iPod 5G did.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by kevin.g
OK; stupid question here from a new Mac user. iMac works great - what a beautiful machine - but it's hard getting used to the mouse. Not sure if this is an Apple thing, a Mighty Mouse thing, or my desk thing. First of all, the mouse won't work straight on the desk; maybe since it has a shiny reflective material coating on top? So I'm basically forced to use a mouse pad. But the tracking on it is just weird; more sporadic than any other mouse u sed before on Windows computers. Is there any explanation for this? By the way, my Mac came through Alaska from China - not sure if this is always the route though. But the delivery is supersonic. Two business days from Shanghai to New York! And the machine is QUIET.
It's not an Apple thing, it's the desk. Optical mice tend to be fairly fussy about where they track best, and reflections or surfaces without distinctive textures tend to throw them off (as they can't track the differences between points on the surface as well).

Part of why some 3rd-party mice now have lasers in them is to combat this. Obviously, lasers aren't very fond of glass, but they're less dependent on the surface type than straight optical mice.

While I'm at it: yesterday, Apple Canada reduced 20" iMac lead-times to 3-5 days, when it was 5-7 before. That suggests that Apple is catching up to demand on iMac production. Seeing as how I placed my own order a day before that, I'm wondering if my iMac might not ship sooner than anticipated.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2005, 07:41 PM

Yes the mighty mouse appears to be picky about what kind of surface it is on. I bought a mouse pad labeled "optical safe" yet the cursor jumps around wildly. I think it has problems when on the darker parts of the mouse pad. It works just fine on my wood grained desk though.

m4rtin
Nov 10, 2005, 09:00 PM

04/11/2005 - Order
Not yet shipped
Shipped By 09/12/2005

IMACG5 20/2.1 G5/SD CTO
1.5GB 533 DDR2 SDRAM-512+1x1GB
500GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive
Kybd, Mighty Mse & Mac OS X-X
Country Kit-X

The 500gb drive added 4 weeks onto the shipping date. Blimmin' 'eck!

kevin.g
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Commodus
It's not an Apple thing, it's the desk. Optical mice tend to be fairly fussy about where they track best, and reflections or surfaces without distinctive textures tend to throw them off (as they can't track the differences between points on the surface as well).

Part of why some 3rd-party mice now have lasers in them is to combat this. Obviously, lasers aren't very fond of glass, but they're less dependent on the surface type than straight optical mice.

While I'm at it: yesterday, Apple Canada reduced 20" iMac lead-times to 3-5 days, when it was 5-7 before. That suggests that Apple is catching up to demand on iMac production. Seeing as how I placed my own order a day before that, I'm wondering if my iMac might not ship sooner than anticipated.
I think you're right. I'm using the OSX booklet that came with the iMac as a mouse pad and the traction is a lot better.

Does anyone have a mouse pad they recommend?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 11:07 PM

I just got an invoice in my e-mail for the expedited shipping charge. I know Apple may sometimes do a test charge to your account to make sure it won't blow up on them when they ship your order, but is this an indication that it'll be ready to ship early next week?

I can always hope, I suppose.

Edit: as of Saturday morning, my iMac has shipped! Yes, the shrink on shipping delays earlier in the week was an indication that Apple is catching up on shipping times. I chose two-day shipping, so I may have my iMac early next week.
( Last edited by Commodus; Nov 12, 2005 at 11:40 AM. )

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2005, 04:01 PM

Well, here's some good news for you 500GB'ers

My order placed: Oct 19, 2005 at 01:25 PM PST
IMACG5 20/2.1 G5/SD CTO
1GB 533 DDR2 SDRAM-2x512
500GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive
Kybd, Mighty Mse & Mac OS X
Country Kit

My order shipped on
Nov 12, 2005
2:56 PM Picked up SHANGHAI CN Package received after FedEx cutoff
2:56 PM Left origin SHANGHAI CN
1:02 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx

Yesterday when I checked it was still showing a ship date of Dec 5. This was a nice suprise to find in my email inbox this morning. So don't depair if that ship date looks to be waaaaaay out there.

This is a surprise Christmas gift to my partner and (less of a surprise for) myself. It's going to get an eyeTV so we can use it as a TV/Tivo, and every CD in the house is being ripped to iTunes in 256 AAC. We've got Airport Express connected to our Bose in-ceiling stereo system throughout the house, so now with the iMac and Front Row, this will be a great one-stop-shopping point for all our media. Throw in Roller Coaster Tycoon when it ships, and this will be a great mini-media center.

Sigh... Now I gotta keep it a secret until Christmas!
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2005, 06:15 PM

re: badidea

"Finally!

iMac 20'
Ordered oct 23
will be here tomorrow"

A twenty foot iMac!

triskele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 06:20 PM

Hey I just noticed this thread. I ordered my stock 20" iMac on Oct. 25 and picked it up on the 7th. I was the dumb@$$ who paid for 2 day delivery not knowing they weren't gonna ship for at least a week.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 06:43 PM

I ordered 2-day shipping even though I knew it would be a few days before the iMac shipped. I don't want to wait longer than necessary! Besides, in Canada the free shipping is handled by a company called Same Day Right O Way - who, quite frankly, I've never been especially happy with, even if my products show up in good condition. You can never track your packages until it ends up in their hands on the Canadian side of the border, and by that point it's useless: the package is probably less than a day from arriving at your door. I've never been able to track a shipment before it arrived.

My only problem with expedited shipping is that I haven't seen any movement on my package tracking with FedEx since Sunday. I don't remember there being any Chinese holidays on Nov. 14th!

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 07:40 PM

Well my Amazon order finally shipped this morning.

m4rtin
Nov 14, 2005, 11:28 PM

So, when I ordered my iMac (see above) the shipping date was +4/5 weeks = 9Dec.
According to the store now the shipping is +7/10 days... so if I ordered one today it'd arrive before my original order was due to ship.

Now, I'd expect Apple to ship the existing orders earlier than originally quoted but the Order Status hasn't updated on my account. I phoned Apple (Australia) and the Order Management dept and asked if this might be the case. The guy I spoke to totally missed the point and was extremely defensive and agressive to my question saying that they are still within their shipping estimate. I exlained that wasn't an issue but I merely wanted to know if the iMac might ship earlier now stock is obviously available earlier. He didn't know. He might want to change jobs too.

Anyone?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 11:33 AM

My iMac is in Mississauga, Ontario as of 7-ish this morning. I have the funny feeling it won't show up at my house today, but tomorrow for sure. Not bad: about a week between order and arrival for something that wasn't even supposed to have left the warehouse until now.

Macbear  (op)
Nov 15, 2005, 11:47 AM

I ordered 2-day shipping even though I knew it would be a few days before the iMac shipped. I don't want to wait longer than necessary! Besides, in Canada the free shipping is handled by a company called Same Day Right O Way - who, quite frankly, I've never been especially happy with, even if my products show up in good condition. You can never track your packages until it ends up in their hands on the Canadian side of the border, and by that point it's useless: the package is probably less than a day from arriving at your door. I've never been able to track a shipment before it arrived.

My only problem with expedited shipping is that I haven't seen any movement on my package tracking with FedEx since Sunday. I don't remember there being any Chinese holidays on Nov. 14th!
I didn't pay for expedited shipping, and my iMac still shipped via FedEx. It got to Ontario from China in only three days, and I didn't pay a cent extra. Apple may have upgraded me to expedited shipping, but I saw no indication of this, and I certainly didn't pay for it.
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

Macbear  (op)
Nov 15, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Macbear
I didn't pay for expedited shipping, and my iMac still shipped via FedEx. It got to Ontario from China in only three days, and I didn't pay a cent extra. Apple may have upgraded me to expedited shipping, but I saw no indication of this, and I certainly didn't pay for it.
Wow. Could I have used the phrase "didn't pay" one more time?

I need coffee.
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

caustik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 05:40 PM

I did not order the upgraded shipping either. But, I just got an email today that it is shipping via Federal Express.
( Last edited by caustik; Dec 6, 2005 at 03:34 AM. )

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 06:40 PM

i ordered a 17" from amazon.com last week - it hasn't shipped yet even though it says usually shipped within 24 hours - guess i will just have to wait

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

springdragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 01:48 PM

Damn! Had trouble with my PC.

Checked on my order and it was shipped from Shanghai on the 15th. It should be arriving on the 18th. I had a shipped-on date of the 17th and didn't express order neither.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 08:14 PM

my imac shipped today from amazon after less then a week - 17"

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 09:50 PM

My 20" iMac arrived this morning, so it arrived two days ahead of Apple's estimated date (Nov. 18th). Not too bad.

m4rtin
Nov 17, 2005, 01:13 AM

Anyone in Australia had a 20" with 500gb shipped yet?

caustik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2005, 06:09 AM

So Commodus, is all well with the delivery? Any major problems with your purchase? Did you CTO your machine or was it a regular order? If it was CTO did it come with your requested options? A poster a page or so back stated his was missing the extra ram.

Caustik

My 20" iMac arrived this morning, so it arrived two days ahead of Apple's estimated date (Nov. 18th). Not too bad.

Kurt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2005, 09:10 AM

My Apple Store page said it would ship on our about the 21st, but here it is - the 17th and an email is in my inbox with a FedEx tracking number. It is still in China, but I hope it will get here soon. Today is Thursday, so I doubt it would get here by tomorrow, but hopefully Monday.
I manage two G5 Mac Labs at a University : 1.8 Ghz 2GB RAM PowerMac G5 (Office/Work)
1.5 Ghz 1GB RAM Powerbook G4 (Work) : 2.1 Ghz 1GB RAM 20" iMac G5 (Home)
Multiple TB's of HD space.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by caustik
So Commodus, is all well with the delivery? Any major problems with your purchase? Did you CTO your machine or was it a regular order? If it was CTO did it come with your requested options? A poster a page or so back stated his was missing the extra ram.

Caustik
No problems with the system so far. The display is great, I'm not hearing any strange noises, and there isn't a lot of heat pouring out the top or back.

It's a stock iMac, so I wouldn't be able to comment on anything CTO. I decided to order a 1 GB stick of Crucial RAM separately (which should be here in a few business days).

caustik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2005, 04:05 PM

Commodus,

Good to hear you are having no problems. Mine should show up tomorrow, it's been in Mississauga since 730 this morning.
BTW On a side note, how much did you pay for the extra gig? I ordered the extra gig strip from Apple. Figured by the time I factored in the shipping cost, wait time and installing it I wouldn't be that much further ahead.

Caustik.

No problems with the system so far. The display is great, I'm not hearing any strange noises, and there isn't a lot of heat pouring out the top or back.

It's a stock iMac, so I wouldn't be able to comment on anything CTO. I decided to order a 1 GB stick of Crucial RAM separately (which should be here in a few business days).
( Last edited by caustik; Dec 6, 2005 at 03:34 AM. )

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 04:09 PM

Commodus,

Good to hear you are having no problems. Mine should show up tomorrow, it's been in Mississauga since 730 this morning. Which is only about an hr and a half away from me.
BTW On a side note, how much did you pay for the extra gig? I ordered the extra gig strip from Apple. Figured by the time I factored in the shipping cost, wait time and installing it I wouldn't be that much further ahead.

Caustik.
I ordered a $145 (CDN, of course) Crucial 1 GB, PC4200 stick from an area store (they're on the other side of the city, though, so it would be impractical to stop by when it won't even be in for a few days). After tax and shipping it amounted to about $175. I've been told by the store people that I might be able to get a $135 stick... so if that's the case, that price could shrink.

V
Senior User
Nov 17, 2005, 07:47 PM

Ships in 1-3 days now in the Canada store.

springdragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2005, 11:58 PM

I'm typing this message from my new iMac 20".

It was delievered this morning, but I wasn't home. So I picked it up from FedEx since I didn't want to wait another day.

Now the fun starts!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 03:11 PM

my 17" is on the truck in town right now - the wait is killing me

thestumper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2005, 03:55 PM

I ordered my 20" through Apple directly (friends and family order, actually, by a buddy that works for Apple) on Tuesday and it shipped today From China. Actually, yesterday, given the timezone thing. Or is that tomorrow....

Never the less, I'll report back as soon as it arrives. I don't see a delivery date posted yet, so we shall see.

caustik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2005, 05:34 PM

Well, just got home from work and my imac isight 20" showed up around noon hour. So far so good. Display is looking sweet. No problems what so ever yet. Came as ordered with 1.5gigs of ram and the proper HD. So far no complaints. And man is it ever nice and quick. Def glad I decided to pick one up. The only things I am less then ecstatic about are the speakers and the mouse. The audio is crap and that mighty mouse is annoying thus far. So, speakers are easy to upgrade and so is the mouse. Life is good.

Caustik...

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 07:40 PM

The audio is crap and that mighty mouse is annoying thus far. So, speakers are easy to upgrade and so is the mouse. Life is good.

Caustik...
I'll agree on the speakers, but you can't really blame Apple given the lack of space. As for the mouse... the only problem I have is that you have to lift your finger off the left button to do a right-click. I'm surprisingly comfortable with the mouse as a whole, though, and I didn't think I'd be. I love the fine precision of the scroll ball and the clicking action. The squeeze button takes a bit of getting used to, but it works.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2005, 08:15 PM

One thing I noticed with my iMac is that the startup chime plays through the internal speakers rather than the external speakers. That was something on the previous Macs that has annoyed me for ages (and my cat who tears out of the room whenever I reboot...)

caustik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2005, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I have been playing around for the last couple hours. The right click thing is no big deal for me as that is what I normally do anyways. I am definitely liking the scroll ball. I just cant get comfortable with the whole mouse tho. I miss the thicker girth the Logitechs I have. It just doesnt seem to support my hand enough. I will give it a few days or a week before I go pick up another logitech. See if it grows on me. As for the squeeze button, I think it takes too much pressure to get it activated for myself anyways.

Speaking of that startup noise. Is there any way to turn that off? I havent found the setting yet. It blares out just as you turn it on when the white light in the bottom right hand corner comes on. If anyone knows, I would love to hear the solution.

Caustik.

I'll agree on the speakers, but you can't really blame Apple given the lack of space. As for the mouse... the only problem I have is that you have to lift your finger off the left button to do a right-click. I'm surprisingly comfortable with the mouse as a whole, though, and I didn't think I'd be. I love the fine precision of the scroll ball and the clicking action. The squeeze button takes a bit of getting used to, but it works.

Kurt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2005, 12:42 AM

I got my iMac this morning thanks to FedEx. Just in time apparently because tonight my hard drive went out on my Powerbook!

I'm trying to stay positive because my iMac is so nice but it's pretty frustrating dealing with it. I do have Apple Care so that won't be an issue to get it fixed, but getting the files off is another matter.

I've had to rescue data for so many other people, now I get to do it for myself.

Anyway, I'll post a pic as soon as I get the rest of my desk organized.
I manage two G5 Mac Labs at a University : 1.8 Ghz 2GB RAM PowerMac G5 (Office/Work)
1.5 Ghz 1GB RAM Powerbook G4 (Work) : 2.1 Ghz 1GB RAM 20" iMac G5 (Home)
Multiple TB's of HD space.

m4rtin
Nov 22, 2005, 05:49 AM

w00t!
Just had the email to say it's shipped 22-Nov-2005
Should be here in 2-7 days.
No tracking info supplied...

Originally Posted by m4rtin
04/11/2005 - Order
Not yet shipped
Shipped By 09/12/2005

IMACG5 20/2.1 G5/SD CTO
1.5GB 533 DDR2 SDRAM-512+1x1GB
500GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive
Kybd, Mighty Mse & Mac OS X-X
Country Kit-X

The 500gb drive added 4 weeks onto the shipping date. Blimmin' 'eck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules