Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Fan always high

Fan always high
jay3ld
Senior User
Mar 25, 2006, 02:53 AM

I have two g4s at my home. a Double Mirror Drive and and the older version bengal or something like that.
The older version is nice and quiet and runs 24/7 and gets to sleep after 30 mins of no use. The Double mirror drive runs 24/7, goes to sleep after 30 mins of no use, but its fan is always running. On high. Always can hear it running. The other mac the only way to tell its running is by looking at its light.
So i know something is wrong if one is sounding different. They both get used about the same.
I dont know what specs to give but they are pretty evenly matched besides the older one having a 1ghz processor compared tot he double mirror dirve one only have 867 mhz.
I keep the double mirror drive more space in its back than the other one. I tried this about a month ago to try to fix it by giving the fan more room to blow air out but didn't change.
They Both site on flat surfaces. Far apart each other. about 15 feet straight and 25 feet with the firewire and hub i run to connect them to share firewire devices.

Any reason that one is always running on high fan? Any Thing that can be done?
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 07:49 AM

This is a known issue with older MDDs. It isn't exactly broken, it is more a design fault. There are solutions, I'm sure.

Try searching MDD fan or MDD noise. Here are some to get you started:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/m...ling_mods.html
http://www.g4noise.com/
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/m...ing_mods3.html

Apple offered a fix for these models. You can try contacting them, they still might be able to help you. Also, make sure that your firmware and OSX are up to date.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules