Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dual-core G4 up next?

Dual-core G4 up next?
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 12:33 PM

As if you guys havent seen articles.these but I initially disregarded them. G5 all the way - but then I thought this chip (exxx) would be too easy of a fit in the PB. Why would Freescale spend the R and D and manufacturing costs to make this chip if Apple would not be a buyer that signed on already? I am not aware of any other use for a altivec enhanced chip other than Apple.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 02:43 PM

I think these are the Rev D's everybody is already mentioning before the G5 comes out. 2GHz G4 or a 1.6 - 1.8 G5, hmmmm.......tough call but I'm more interested in the fact that when Moto was with Apple they sucked and now they're up to all this cool stuff, and when IBM was doing cool stuff they signed with Apple and now they're sucking. Hopefully IBM get's their act together and we see a G5 in the next PB but hey a 2GHz G4 is nothing to laugh at.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

rareflares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 03:48 PM

i think it'll be a nice long while before we see a G5 Powerbook (at least another year or two). This basically confirms my thoughts.

Apple will probably use these Freescale chips for a good 2-3 revisions before using IBM's G5.

Not only is heat a problem with the G5 but so is power consumption/battery life. These dual-core G4's will do much better than a single G5 would performance-wise given that the FSB will increase.

Anyone got any prediction of when this revision will appear? I say late September to late October.

manero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by rareflares:
Anyone got any prediction of when this revision will appear? I say late September to late October.
Sounds reasonable. The Cram & Jam rebate ends in September, too. Coincidence?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 04:38 PM

Call me crazy (pause for people to say "YOUR CRAZY") but I'd like the next revision to be a G4 at 2GHz. It would have less problems due to it being the 4th Rev. and it would have plenty of power. The only downside I'd see is actually giving people a 2GHz G4 and then when the G5 come out, it'd only be at 1.8 which most people will b!tch and complain about.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 06:37 PM

Well. We'll know more in october.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 07:06 PM

From my now misplaced note...

Sure looks like there will be the possibility of at least 3 more upgrade paths for G4 powerbooks:

1) scale the current G4 to ~2GHz
2) Build a dual core G4 processor
3) Scale it to beyond 2GHz

This sure gives Apple and IBM plenty of time to get their low-power G5 CPUs ready. We might not see a G5 PB before IBM can make them low-power at >2GHz.

Apple will be working with Moto Jr for some time to come.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 07:30 PM

I for one am very excited to see that Freescale/Motorola is aggressively continuing development of the MPC74xx family and developing future G4-derived processors. It bodes very well for those of us with G4 towers, since we actually have something to look forward to down the line with processor upgrades.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 11:27 PM

I'd love to see a "mobile" chip like the Pentium-M. Something with a decent amount of kick but that allows for long battery life. Then again, a dual core G4 would be insane, especially with both cores running at nearly 2ghz! Anyway, the G5 can come in 3 years for all I care... it'll just make it easier for me to not feel outgunned. I can pretty much say that the next powerbook will definitely be a G5 and not the first rev either... wont happen for quite some time!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by manero:
I had the exact same thought myself (after considering taking advantage of the Cram & Jam promo)... I'd like to see the 1.5GHz be put into the 12" PB since that's the model that I am looking to purchase. You guys spending the big $$$ on the 15" or 17" can have the new CPU

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2004, 12:26 PM

i said screw the waiting.. placed my order for a new 1.5GHz 17"

-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2004, 02:30 PM

Just because the chip will be done does not necessarily mean we will see a Powerbook utilizing it just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait until at least MacWorld SF to see the new Powerbooks.
( Last edited by anamexis; Aug 22, 2004 at 04:10 PM. )

TheDrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 04:07 PM

Agree. We're aways away from new powerbooks.

Dual Core means new hardware chipset and new code for OSX to optimize, I think its a bit further out than just the completion of the chips. Let alone cooling and battery life for mobile solutions.
"Humans take the path of least resistance, especially after the second beer."
Gerard F. Rutan

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 22, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by StevenWRX:
i said screw the waiting.. placed my order for a new 1.5GHz 17"

Way to go!
Should keep you happy for the next 2 years.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 08:10 PM

This announcement has me even more convinced it will be well worth replacing the internal HD on this revA PB17. I really do not think we'll be seeing a G5 PB in less than 18 months, so I'm going to plan an update with a fast HD (I want the 100 GB model that's shipping OEM but not available retail) to hold me over.

Of course, that means that a week after it's installed, Apple will ship the 2 GHz G4 models...!

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
Way to go!
Should keep you happy for the next 2 years.

yessir, cant wait... should be here tomorrow.
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:

Of course, that means that a week after it's installed, Apple will ship the 2 GHz G4 models...!
Yup that's how technology works ... they'll just go right to the G72 in the powerbooks... a mythical processor that just reads what your'e thinking and does everything faster than your brain ever could. lol... oh yeah and it'll be $500 cheaper for every PB... and 26 hrs of batt life w/ a 65x dvd+/-RW... DVD's will of course hold 30gigs so that you can back up all your data off of your 500gb 15000rpm internal drive...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2004, 10:49 AM

lol ^^^

my new 17" is "out for delivery"

w00t!

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 11:52 AM

Hey, an external 30 GB DVD burner is available now (for a mere $3k/drive!)

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by manero:

yes it is a coincidence.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Yup that's how technology works ... they'll just go right to the G72 in the powerbooks... a mythical processor that just reads what your'e thinking and does everything faster than your brain ever could. lol... oh yeah and it'll be $500 cheaper for every PB... and 26 hrs of batt life w/ a 65x dvd+/-RW... DVD's will of course hold 30gigs so that you can back up all your data off of your 500gb 15000rpm internal drive...
I'm afraid you don't know how close we are to getting that.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 01:42 PM

latest FORBES article suggests that dual core CPUs won't be available to the consumer before summer/fall 2005.

The article went on to suggest that most software is not dual core/cpu aware, but that hyperthreading is similar. And I would think the dual DPU aware Mac software would be ideal for this strategy, which IBM has in its roadmap for G5s.

The analogy is that of a gas engine, with each core representing a cylinder. Making a single cylinder engine is possible but much less efficient than our current multi-cylinder machines.

nonno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 09:43 PM

i guess that
powerbook - G5
Ibook- G4 dual core

Forum Links
Forum Rules